Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,643

0 members and 2,643 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Borneo STP striking glass during feeding...

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I have a suggestion that haven’t been said but only have balls so idk if it would help. But maybe prep the food outside his room and walk in and feed him first. I’ve noticed my balls take a few minutes of the rat being in the room to wake up and start getting ready. So I’d walk in and feed as quick as I could then go about your normal routine??
    That's what I do. But as soon as I approach his enclosure he's ready to strike. I reach to slide the glass open and he strikes. He hits pretty hard too.
    I just don't want him getting hurt.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Dianne (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    The past 6 or 7 feedings my Borneo boy has been striking the glass once he smells his prey. The last 2 feedings he struck harder and a few times (3 or 4) as opposed to typically one time the previous few feedings.

Although I know this isn't really "uncommon" among snakes, I've never seen it quite like this in my personal experience.

Any clues what may be triggering it recently? Nothing changed enclosure or husbandry wise. Same prey. Same handling. His demeanor seems otherwise completely the same. Feeding routine is the same. So I'm kind a stumped. Could it be that spring is in the air?

Are there any tricks to curbing this behavior? I'd rather he not break his jaw, or the glass for that matter.

I typically don't put too much weight into these things, snakes will be snakes, but it's been frequent and consistent to the point I'm seeing a pattern developing. If I can get ahead of it somehow that would be great.
    Hey Bro they have already given a lot of good advise. Not only did I have a boa or two do this to me, in the same make cage, a 48” I believe. Anyway right now I have a Super Enchi Hypo male three year old, that’s strike crazy. I have to turn off the heat light ahead of time, because he likes to strike as soon as he realizes why I’m in front of the tank. He likes to hit the glass too. What I’ve learned to do is be one step ahead. Turn off the light and put a piece of cardboard so he can’t see my heat signal. And if he’s really hyped I try to calm him by lightly pushing him back a little, with a hook. It’s tricky, but I can’t stand when they strike the glass or the screen. I had a Peruvian boa who smashed his tank so hard so much, that mouth rot set in. Had to give him shots and everything. So I totally dig what you are trying to say. Best of luck, sometimes tricking a snake isn’t easy as it sounds, lol. I even try and “unlock” my tank ahead of time, so he doesn’t strike when I’m removing his clips. Again best of luck buddy. Sorry about the grammar, sick as all hell today.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-24-2019),Dianne (04-24-2019),JodanOrNoDan (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Think of it as a conditioning opportunity. I have never kept one but I imagine the brain capacity is similar to a ball. You will be teaching him the covering the glass means feeding time. I agree with Boger... probably sent + perceived movement. I have a ball with the same behavior. I feed in a pretty dark room and he can only see out of one side of the tub so I don't walk in front of it when there are rats in the room. The funny part in my case is this is my boy that did not eat on his own for around two years, then one day... Now he is nuts and strikes very hard. Mice, rats, birds he doesn't care as long as its warm.
    I have a five year old black pastel pinstripe, used to just leave the prey in front of his hide. And bam 💥 one day he strikes out so hard outta nowhere I almost jumped out of my skin. I can totally relate. Lmao, been a striker ever since. And he was a bit of a problem feeder as a worm.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Hey Bro they have already given a lot of good advise. Not only did I have a boa or two do this to me, in the same make cage, a 48” I believe. Anyway right now I have a Super Enchi Hypo male three year old, that’s strike crazy. I have to turn off the heat light ahead of time, because he likes to strike as soon as he realizes why I’m in front of the tank. He likes to hit the glass too. What I’ve learned to do is be one step ahead. Turn off the light and put a piece of cardboard so he can’t see my heat signal. And if he’s really hyped I try to calm him by lightly pushing him back a little, with a hook. It’s tricky, but I can’t stand when they strike the glass or the screen. I had a Peruvian boa who smashed his tank so hard so much, that mouth rot set in. Had to give him shots and everything. So I totally dig what you are trying to say. Best of luck, sometimes tricking a snake isn’t easy as it sounds, lol. I even try and “unlock” my tank ahead of time, so he doesn’t strike when I’m removing his clips. Again best of luck buddy. Sorry about the grammar, sick as all hell today.
    Thanks so much!!! I appreciate the reply and info, especially when you're sick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I don't have trouble with snakes hitting the glass, typically, but it can be a challenge to lift open the screen tops with snakes that are "loaded for bear"...don't know
    if you can apply this to your situation or not, but I've been known to keep a spray bottle of water in hand...a little surprise-spritz of water mist will cool them off
    momentarily while I get food in front of them (held with tongs). You'd have to rig up a little sprayer aimed near the glass, with tubing that runs to a bulb sprayer
    managed from a distance. Pardon my evil mind, lol....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Pardon my evil mind, lol....
    Hahahaha!!

Before I moved my King to a front opening enclosure he would be practically jumping out of the top of the enclosure when I opened it and he smelled dinner. He was spring loaded and ready to go.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Hahahaha!!

Before I moved my King to a front opening enclosure he would be practically jumping out of the top of the enclosure when I opened it and he smelled dinner. He was spring loaded and ready to go.
    I know what you mean... I think my spotted python might really be a king snake...even though she's small shes "fun": when I try to feed her she flails her head
    around like a tornado with a wide open mouth...what she lacks in accuracy she makes up for in speed & determination. She's even captured herself! LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

I know what you mean... I think my spotted python might really be a king snake...even though she's small shes "fun": when I try to feed her she flails her head
    around like a tornado with a wide open mouth...what she lacks in accuracy she makes up for in speed & determination. She's even captured herself! LOL
    Hahaha, sounds like a King to me!!! Django has struck and missed by a good 6" at times cause he's so excited. Mouth wide open just throwing himself across his enclosure. Even with 10" feeding tongs he's still almost gotten my hand a few times. He's a completely different animal when the smell of mouse is in the air.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Dianne (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Can you imagine if these snakes were wild...without regular meals like they have with us??? They'd be a LOT hungrier!

Banned
    Thanks

Can you imagine if these snakes were wild...without regular meals like they have with us??? They'd be a LOT hungrier!
    Right?!??!?!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12