Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

0 members and 3,135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bulb shattering!

Hello everyone! I'm a fairly new BP owner and things have gone mostly smoothly for the nearly 5 months I've had him. However, I woke up this morning to find the bulb in his night lamp had shattered (I'm a heavy sleeper and didn't hear, and don't worry, he has a UTH so he wasn't without heat) and after checking him over for cuts, had to deep-clean everything and miss classes. I'm sure it likely had something to do with the lamp, but has anyone had a ball just straight-up strike at a light? I mean, he's seperated from it by the screen top, obviously, but if he had struck the screen, he could've shaken the lamp a good bit. It's the oddest thing. Can anyone suggest a kind of cover for a regular heat lamp or a barrier that wouldn't affect the temps too much to put between the lamp and screen lid to prevent pieces from falling in if this somehow happened again?
    Thanks!

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    The light should not be in the enclosure, stuff happens. If you have a regulated UTH there is probably not a need for a heat lamp. Ball Pythons do not bask. They are nocturnal.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Not sure that your snake striking the screen was the cause...but if he managed to splash some water on the very hot bulb that may have done it, & water can
    go thru the screen easily enough.

I've used lights (often red or black, reduced light that's more for heat) for many years with all kinds of snakes including BPs, and I've never had a snake strike
    at & break a bulb thru wire mesh cage tops...nor have any splashed water that make the bulbs break either. It could also have been a defective bulb, or maybe
    even a power surge??? Just throwing out ideas...I think it's pretty much a freak accident.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-22-2019 at 12:04 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-22-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Bulb shattering!

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    The light should not be in the enclosure, stuff happens. If you have a regulated UTH there is probably not a need for a heat lamp. Ball Pythons do not bask. They are nocturnal.
    Please ignore the part about the light being inside the enclosure. I misread the post.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks

I recently purchased a red heat light 100w for my BP enclosure because I upgraded him to a 40 and wanted to make sure the ambient temperature stays good.
    The ambient temperature has been fine but I have it just in case....
    ANYWAY, all that just to say that at first I had it sitting directly on the screen top but I didn't like how hot it got the screen so in my opinion it's best to use a heat lamp without it touching the screen. I have mine clamped to something that is sitting beside the tank to where it doesn't touch the screen at all but still works great if extra heat is ever needed.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 04-22-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    None of my bulbs ever touch the screen tops either: they're in dome light fixtures with the metal 'shade' resting on the screen, & I've never had a bulb shatter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-22-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've used bulbs for years, with the dome resting on the screen lid. I've never seen any of my snakes strike at them. It would definitely be very odd behavior, but isnt impissible.
    The only time I had one shatter was because it got wet. And it popped like a balloon.

Are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    None of my bulbs ever touch the screen tops either: they're in dome light fixtures with the metal 'shade' resting on the screen, & I've never had a bulb shatter.
    I don't even let the shade rest on the screen top because with mine the bulb is just less than half an inch away from the screen and it gets so hot you can't even touch the screen so I didn't feel good about that so I have it clamped above the screen to where the shade doesn't even touch it

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Replace the bulb with a ceramic heat emitter. While they're pricier, they're a lot more durable and efficient so they last longer and cost less to run.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I only use bulbs for my beardie and BTS, with the beardie at one point using a 100w bulb. It is hot to the touch but never once shattered. Even with bad bulbs they usually just burn out quickly or stop working. You probably had a defective bulb or wiring inside the dome. I would change both out just in case if you need the ambient heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast