Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

3 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

My Girl Won’t Eat

So, I figured it was just a matter of time for me since Monty has been nothing less than amazing. My handsome boy has me spoiled.

Kitana, on the other hand, has refused rats AND mice since I got her home just over 2 weeks ago. The breeder said he had just successfully fed her her 1st rat just a few days before the expo. I have both so figured what the heck. Well, no dice.

She roams around at night and “sleeps” in her hide all day, like normal. Husbandry is on-point and I’m not handling her until at least 3 successful meals. Yes, it’s killing me. lol

I’ve read that females are well-known for going on strike during mating season but would that make a difference for one who’s just over 7 months old?

My plan is to just continue feeding attempts once a week and keep an eye on her weight. If she starts to decline, I understand I’ll need to take appropriate action. Anything I could be doing to help her in the meantime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Carpe' Diem

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The breeder said he had just successfully fed her her 1st rat just a few days before the expo
    1 Rat does not mean that the animal is switched only if they animal has taken 5 successful consecutive meals do I consider an animal switched.

My recommendation offer mice for 3 to 5 meals and then attempt switched, a well adjusted BP will switch a lot easier than one that is not.

In the meantime make sure your husbandry is optimal for an animal that size and no handling until the animal eats for you.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (04-22-2019),Shayne (04-21-2019)

Thanks

Re: My Girl Won’t Eat

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    1 Rat does not mean that the animal is switched only if they animal has taken 5 successful consecutive meals do I consider an animal switched.

My recommendation offer mice for 3 to 5 meals and then attempt switched, a well adjusted BP will switch a lot easier than one that is not.

In the meantime make sure your husbandry is optimal for an animal that size and no handling until the animal eats for you.
    Awesome. Just the insight I was needing. Thanks so much, Deborah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Carpe' Diem

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hang in there Shayne...and no, mating season isn't the reason for a 7 mo. old. It's only been "just over 2 weeks" which is hardly much time at all...it's often
    better not to offer ANY food for the first 2 weeks when you bring a new snake home...but realistically, it takes a heart of steel to wait it out...we ALL want to
    see our beautiful new snakes feeding & thriving under our care. Don't worry...you'll get there. And Deborah is correct...in a whole new place, she's more apt
    to take mice (the most familiar food) when she does eat for you. She just "regressed" a bit...very normal.

They can't ALL be easy, you know...you wouldn't feel as though you earned your patch if they were.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (04-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hang in there Shayne...and no, mating season isn't the reason for a 7 mo. old. It's only been "just over 2 weeks" which is hardly much time at all...it's often
    better not to offer ANY food for the first 2 weeks when you bring a new snake home...but realistically, it takes a heart of steel to wait it out...we ALL want to
    see our beautiful new snakes feeding & thriving under our care. Don't worry...you'll get there. And Deborah is correct...in a whole new place, she's more apt
    to take mice (the most familiar food) when she does eat for you. She just "regressed" a bit...very normal.

They can't ALL be easy, you know...you wouldn't feel as though you earned your patch if they were.
    Man, I'm trying but, as you know all too well, it's TOUGH not to have "play time". lol

And I will be needing a patch when Kitana's all fat & happy. I think it should look exactly like Deborah's avatar.

Thanks for the always-great insight, BogerChic.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    ...And I will be needing a patch when Kitana's all fat & happy. I think it should look exactly like Deborah's avatar. ...
    That would be awesome! I think many other members would be jealous & want one too, lol.

Some snakes are just here to teach us patience (aka "torture us") but at least you have another one to play with in the meantime.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (04-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Hang in there, and hopefully she'll get with the program soon. I know how frustrating it can be when they won't eat. My newest carpet made me wait a solid 5+ weeks before accepting her first meal. I'm dying to handle her because she is gorgeous and fun, but nope nope. Definitely waiting with her until she's eating consistently. It's amazing how long they can go without eating, so try not to worry.

The only tips I can really offer are ones you probably already know. As Deborah said, make sure husbandry is on point. There's the hair dryer method. Running the head under hot water and drying right before offering. Doing the zombie dance. Leaving the rodent in over night, with or without the cage covered. One of my BP's needed me to gently stroke him with the rodent a few times before he figured it out. One of my carpets needs to butt her mouth right up to it before she'll take it.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Shayne (04-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That would be awesome! I think many other members would be jealous & want one too, lol.

Some snakes are just here to teach us patience (aka "torture us") but at least you have another one to play with in the meantime.
    Speaking of Monty, I fed that dude last night and lemme tell ya.....good lord! So, I walk into the snake room with the rat, tap on the top of his cage lightly a few times with the tongs, as always. Of course, he's already locked & loaded (lil' fatty). I turn the key, crack open the door juuust enough for a "snake" to fit through and BAM!!!!!!!!!! He strikes THROUGH the cracked door, coming about 6 inches outside the cage, pulls back inside, swinging his head STRAIGHT UP into the air about 14 inches as he starts to coil and literally body slams the rat against the bottom of the cage so hard it made a loud "thump"! If I didn't know he was such a loving noodle, I'd be terrified of him. lol I was impressed, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Hang in there, and hopefully she'll get with the program soon. I know how frustrating it can be when they won't eat. My newest carpet made me wait a solid 5+ weeks before accepting her first meal. I'm dying to handle her because she is gorgeous and fun, but nope nope. Definitely waiting with her until she's eating consistently. It's amazing how long they can go without eating, so try not to worry.

The only tips I can really offer are ones you probably already know. As Deborah said, make sure husbandry is on point. There's the hair dryer method. Running the head under hot water and drying right before offering. Doing the zombie dance. Leaving the rodent in over night, with or without the cage covered. One of my BP's needed me to gently stroke him with the rodent a few times before he figured it out. One of my carpets needs to butt her mouth right up to it before she'll take it.
    5 weeks sounds like pure torture! lol Yes, talk about a true test of discipline....get a danger noodle and just leave him/her alone until the time is right. I know it's for the best but MAN it sucks. lol Never thought I'd get so attached to a dang snake. Kinda crazy knowing I was literally terrified of them just over 6 months ago. Held my 1st back in November.