Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,940

1 members and 2,939 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help. He’s been squeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Probably just had a little water in his nostrils from clumsy drinking.
    Started again but not as frequent as it was last night. The noise itself sounds like as if you were to inhale dead quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Vet

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Vet

Yeah, either that or teach him how to blow his nose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yeah, either that or teach him how to blow his nose.
    Lol! And you know if I ever heard my snake pass gas and I didn't know what I've learned from this forum, I would be freaking out I still am amazed that snakes do that ...I don't know why

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Lol! And you know if I ever heard my snake pass gas and I didn't know what I've learned from this forum, I would be freaking out I still am amazed that snakes do that ...I don't know why

Just goes to show you how much like us & other animals they are...they have pretty much the same organs & all, just a different shape. Now to convince the 'haters'...

Thanks

I had a new one I brought home that was squeaking/whistling with no mucous. Went to the vet, did a round of anitbiotics and that ended it. Second snake developed the same thing because apparently my quarantine skills are trash, still no mucous just the same squeak. I upped temperatures for him and watched closely for a few days and it went away on its own. Both snakes still happy and healthy a year later, no return of RI symptoms.

I would watch it closely with increased temps and decreased humidity for a couple days, and go to the vet if he's still squeaky after that/ go immediately if anything changes for the worse beforehand. It can be dangerous to wait much longer though if he's not improving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HouseofNoodles View Post
    I had a new one I brought home that was squeaking/whistling with no mucous. Went to the vet, did a round of anitbiotics and that ended it. Second snake developed the same thing because apparently my quarantine skills are trash, still no mucous just the same squeak. I upped temperatures for him and watched closely for a few days and it went away on its own. Both snakes still happy and healthy a year later, no return of RI symptoms.

I would watch it closely with increased temps and decreased humidity for a couple days, and go to the vet if he's still squeaky after that/ go immediately if anything changes for the worse beforehand. It can be dangerous to wait much longer though if he's not improving.
    Decrease humidity by how much? I keep mine between 50% & 60%.

I’m taking him the vets later. I don’t want to risk it by waiting a few days.

And what do you use for when you are transporting your snakes? Tubs, snake bags.

In the past I’ve just put him in a RUB with a bunch blankets to stop him from sliding about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    Decrease humidity by how much? I keep mine between 50% & 60%.

I’m taking him the vets later. I don’t want to risk it by waiting a few days.

And what do you use for when you are transporting your snakes? Tubs, snake bags.

In the past I’ve just put him in a RUB with a bunch blankets to stop him from sliding about.

Best way to transport: put snake in a cloth bag (pillow case or snake bag), secure w/ wire twist-tie, then fold that part over & wrap w/ rubber band.
    Then put bagged snake in a styro-foam shipping box OR in an "ice chest" (no ice, obviously). A little padding first is nice too, like an old towel...in case you stop fast.
    The idea is to protect (insulate!) your snake from temp. extremes while transported, either excessive sun or cold. Snakes travel quite well this way...I've moved across
    country with a bunch of snakes this way, no problems at all, days on the road.

I'm not so sure you should decrease humidity (that wasn't my response)...I was thinking he may need MORE humidity, that dry nasal membranes might be causing this
    "squeaking" issue but I'm not positive. You might try increasing the humidity before you take him to the vet, see if it helps?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MuicyJelon (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Keep us posted

Thanks
    And by the way, it would be one thing if your snake seemed really sick, but you're not seeing mucous/bubbling to indicate an RI, just intermittent "whistling",
    right? Well it's just like when WE go to the doctor & insist on treatment for a perceived illness...the vet, much like our own doctor, may feel they "need" to "do"
    something to keep the patient (owner) happy & prescribe antibiotics. I'm not against antibiotics when & if they are needed, but they are also not completely
    harmless if & when they are not needed. Vets are "human"...they want to help & provide care for our pets, so if you take your snake in, it's likely that he'll
    be "treated" whether or not he needs it. Doctors of any kind are trained mostly in medical management...not so much in general husbandry, and that might
    actually be your only issue, especially since he is eating too. (how are you measuring the humidity? does your snake have a humid-hide? & what are his cage
    temps?) I "get" that you expect to feel reassured having a vet tell you he's fine, or "treat something", but if he doesn't need to see the vet, keep in mind that
    doing so may put him off eating from the stress too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast