Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

2 members and 2,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Help. He’s been squeaking.

But he said he didn't open the snake's mouth he's just looking on the outside. Is it sufficient enough just to look on the outside I'm asking because I really don't know

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 04-24-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    But he said he didn't open the snake's mouth he's just looking on the outside. Is it sufficient enough just to look on the outside I'm asking because I really don't know

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    No harm to look inside, but this snake is eating, & if he had bubbles/mucous he'd be mouth-breathing, not just making little intermittent nasal squeaks.

I hope that the OP insists on a "culture & sensitivity" if the vet thinks antibiotics are a good idea. Remember antibiotics have downsides: destruction of needed gut
    bacteria, the stress of going to vet plus the series of injections that must be completed or risk creating resistant bacteria, & still they don't always work. Then if the
    symptoms persist, vets often want to try another course of a different antibiotic...you can end up with a sicker snake than you brought in.

We're not seeing or hearing this snake...it's totally up to the OP, but if it's a husbandry issue (like heat/humidity) the vet really cannot fix it, but could make things
    worse...that's why I'm trying to help rule out other issues.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-24-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    No harm to look inside, but this snake is eating, & if he had bubbles/mucous he'd be mouth-breathing, not just making little intermittent nasal squeaks.

I hope that the OP insists on a "culture & sensitivity" if the vet thinks antibiotics are a good idea. Remember antibiotics have downsides: destruction of needed gut
    bacteria, the stress of going to vet plus the series of injections that must be completed or risk creating resistant bacteria, & still they don't always work. Then if the
    symptoms persist, vets often want to try another course of a different antibiotic...you can end up with a sicker snake than you brought in.

We're not seeing or hearing this snake...it's totally up to the OP, but if it's a husbandry issue (like heat/humidity) the vet really cannot fix it, but could make things
    worse...that's why I'm trying to help rule out other issues.
    What’s a culture & sensitivity?
    I’m taking him for a standard check up, his mouth will be checked to see if anything is there. I’m gonna tell the vet that I don’t want him on antibiotics if he doesn’t need to be.

My heat & humidity. Minimum of 77*f (cool end). Maximum of 90*f (hot end). I keep the humidity between 50 to 60%. And I use this. This is quite accurate especially during sheds.
    And use this with my RHP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    What’s a culture & sensitivity?
    I’m taking him for a standard check up, his mouth will be checked to see if anything is there. I’m gonna tell the vet that I don’t want him on antibiotics if he doesn’t need to be.

My heat & humidity. Minimum of 77*f (cool end). Maximum of 90*f (hot end). I keep the humidity between 50 to 60%. And I use this. This is quite accurate especially during sheds.
    And use this with my RHP.

*Just had a look at what culture & sensitivity is. And I’ll ask for it before I agree to him having antibiotics or any other medication. I don’t want him on something if he doesn’t need be.
    (Hope I’ve understood that properly).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Here's the thing: when you take a snake to a doctor with slight symptoms (or a human, for that matter) many doctors feel they "must" try something so that the
    patient feels they're trying their best, when in fact, sometimes doing nothing is the best thing. A snake with slight possibility of RI starting up is likely to be given
    antibiotics, & some vets do so without first doing a "culture & sensitivity" (lab work) to make sure that the drug they choose will be effective (because the cost is
    so much greater & it takes more time) so they take their best guess at what they think may be effective. So what you get is a stressful vet visit, plus a course of
    stressful antibiotics (which kill off the 'good' bacteria in your snake's gut along with the bad) & which you cannot stop before the full course because then you risk
    creating resistant bacteria (harder to treat), all for an on-again, off-again whistle that may not be an RI. That's all I was trying to say...hope you have a good vet
    & get some answers...all the best.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (04-24-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I wouldn't be taking this guy to the vet yet based on what I am hearing unless I saw something in the mouth that looked bad. Make sure the husbandry is spot on, and see if there are changes.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Help. He’s been squeaking.

Been the vets an he’s alright. Checked his mouth and did a mini ultrasound on his chest.
    Good vets, first time I’ve been to that one. And know what they’re doing.

Last edited by MuicyJelon; 04-24-2019 at 02:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Here's the thing: when you take a snake to a doctor with slight symptoms (or a human, for that matter) many doctors feel they "must" try something so that the
    patient feels they're trying their best, when in fact, sometimes doing nothing is the best thing. A snake with slight possibility of RI starting up is likely to be given
    antibiotics, & some vets do so without first doing a "culture & sensitivity" (lab work) to make sure that the drug they choose will be effective (because the cost is
    so much greater & it takes more time) so they take their best guess at what they think may be effective. So what you get is a stressful vet visit, plus a course of
    stressful antibiotics (which kill off the 'good' bacteria in your snake's gut along with the bad) & which you cannot stop before the full course because then you risk
    creating resistant bacteria (harder to treat), all for an on-again, off-again whistle that may not be an RI. That's all I was trying to say...hope you have a good vet
    & get some answers...all the best.
    Vet said the same thing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Glad you found a good vet that knows what they're doing & that now you can relax. Did he have an opinion about the cause of the squeaks?

Thanks

Glad you found a good vet that knows what they're doing & that now you can relax. Did he have an opinion about the cause of the squeaks?
    Said she wouldn’t worry about it. Said if anything pops (mucus, bubbles, chin bloats up, etc) there’s an emergency clinic and they have enclosures ready just in case.
    She did a few ‘tests’ on him. Checked his strength. Checked his mouth, which is clear. The ultrasound to see if he’s breathing clearly as well as his heartbeat. Did is weight an he’s gained some since I last did it a few weeks ago, was 630g he’s now 690g. Put him on the table upside down to see if he could get himself upright. And his general movement. Said he’s in great condition.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234