Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

1 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User ImBadAtUsernames's Avatar
    Thanks

Snake won’t shed

So first off this is not my snake, it’s my brothers. His snake has been shedding for over 2 weeks now. I’m not checking his humidity all the time but he says it’s good and the times I’ve looked it is 50 - 65 percent. Air temp is too cold I think. (Gets down to 72 at night) but I doubt he will get a lamp. It has shed covering him but I won’t come off. It’s been slowly peeling off for a week now but it’s still covered in shed. He is worried about it and wanted me to post it here as he doesn’t have an account. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Too cold...shedding depends on a snake's metabolism to be working correctly, & it cannot do that when it's too cold, nor when there's too little humidity.

Cool side of cage should be 78-80* at the lowest, & warmest (basking) temp should be not over 88-90*. If you went with all one temperature as some keepers
    do, the cage needs to be about 85-86*. Humidity should be at least 60%, & higher for shedding. Please impress upon your brother to do right by this snake, or
    to find it a home with someone who will. (sorry) As it is, it will likely become sick if it hasn't already, & vet bills are much more than the price of a "lamp", which
    by the way is not an optimal way to heat a snake cage. What kind of heat is he using? Is it controlled by a thermostat? This is important...a snake's immune
    system has evolved to function best at certain temperatures...what fun is a sick pet?

I would suggest giving it a humid hide (with damp moss or damp towel inside) immediately, as well as raising the temps to 85*. Have you tried soaking the
    snake in shallow (about 1") lukewarm water? That too should help, at least for this immediate shed. Long-term, please fix the overall husbandry issues.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-21-2019 at 01:28 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AllyM (04-21-2019),Joci (04-21-2019),JodanOrNoDan (04-22-2019)

Thanks

Re: Snake won’t shed

Please help your brother to become educated on the necessary care his snake needs. This is an animal not in it natural habitat and it's his responsibility to take care of it properly or find someone who can. Please read the post above, very good advice.

Registered User ImBadAtUsernames's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the help! He has a UTH with a thermostat. Humidity hide seems like a good idea. He does have a humidifier / fogger but whenever you turn it one low it will instantly raise humidity too much. By the way didn’t mean to post this on advanced husbandry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ImBadAtUsernames For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Also ... spray the viv / tank well a few times daily ..when a snake is ready to shed the skin as it helps tremendously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro