Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,462

0 members and 2,462 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Boas and Pythons for V-180

I was wondering if you guys would help me with what breeds would be good in a v180 as full grown adults. I know Blood pythons, an BCI's can fit in there full grown, but what else? I've heard you can do carpet pythons, but I've also heard that you should keep carpets in a arboreal cage as they like to climb. Basically I guess a better question would be what is the largest snake I can keep on about 1333 square inches (about 9 sqFT)? From what I understand this cage can hold up to a 10 or 11 foot animal, but would probably keep it to about 8 foot? I just need to figure out what I can keep in it before I go out and buy anything. I know there's a lot more to it than just square inches and length, but I am just trying to get a good idea what snakes I should start looking at.

At this point I'm in an internal debate on whether or not to breed. The caging for breeders was the main reason i wasn't going to breed. The cost was just too high, and it would have eaten too much of the profit. Since I got a 7 tub vision v180 for 400, that effectively cuts my cost by 3/4. Caging for the juvis or small adults should be easy now since I have the rack with UTH. I hope I can set smaller tubs on top of it on the shelves.

Well guys as always I appreciate all the help for my noobish questions. I wish I didn't have to ask, but in the last 20 years there's not too much of this hobby that hasn't changed.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 04-19-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Boas and Pythons for V-180

If this rack is like most, then the heat is all connected together to one plug. Is this the case? I'm not super familiar with vision racks, but most others I've seen are that way.

If so, what is your plan for getting the right heat for even the 2 different species you have already mentioned?

Bloods have been found to do badly with the typical "python" temperatures (80 cool, 90 hot spot). Keepers now tend to say either 82 ambient no hot spot, or 80-84 ambient, maximum 85 hot spot.

Boas on the other hand need 88-90 for the hot spot.

Basically, just wondering how you planned to deal with those different needs within the 1 rack if its heat is all together and could only be powered by 1 thermostat.

If the heat is powered per tub and you can hook up a thermostat to control each one, then disregard this post!

Not sure if you've considered species outside boas or pythons, but some bigger bull snakes or other colubrids could do well with that sort of space if you can work the heating out for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I had planned on using multiple thermostats for multiple species. If I decide to keep more than one species.