Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,679

3 members and 1,676 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

4 new BP but one hasn’t eaten?

I finally received all (4) my BP that I ordered during the winter. 2 of which have eaten 3 meals and shed this past week. 1 has been on the defensive side but has taken 2 meals. Now the biggest female of the bunch will not eat. She strikes in defensive and retreats. She’s was 342 grams when I weighed her after I gave them 5 days to relax. She took a poop a few days after that. Two days go I weighed her and she’s down 10 grams. Today I offered her a meal after moving her tub up on the rack the night before and no change defensive strike and retreat.
    Shes has a hide, humidity is 40-70% I mist every two days, hot spot ranges from 87-92, and all the other snakes are on the same rack. Gradient temp is 79-83. I feed frozen thawed but I know the breeder feed live. I have tried FT fuzzy rats and FT rat pups. Even left it in over night.

Do I stay on schedule and try FT weekly?
    Do I go buy a live rat?
    Do I try a FT mouse?

i have handled her maybe 3 times in the almost 3 weeks I have had her.
    Any advice will help, i new but have done a lot of research.
    4 out of 5 snakes eat perfectly fine but I’m just wondering if she’s fasting, won’t touch FT, or what.....

Thanks
    The first thing I would recommend is to handle this snake as little as possible (unless really necessary for cleanup) until she has eaten for you at least three times. She is already stressed from being shipped and placed into a new environment, and too much extra handling could keep her too stressed to eat. Checking on her is fine, as you likely know, but at that size losing 10 grams isn't too big of a deal.

It might be best to purchase a live rat and try that, since that's what she was used to eating with the breeder. Once she's had more time to adjust, and taken a few meals, you can make another attempt to offer frozen thawed. Since any rat with its eyes open can bite and cause damage to your snake, it's best not to leave even a rat pup with your snake unattended if you do decide to try live (some seem to have their eyes open, some don't).

Good luck!
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: 4 new BP but one hasn’t eaten?

Tired a live rat pup.....failed! She strikes but no wrap. Everything looks like she’s being defensive.
    Guy at local shop told me it’s beacuase it’s breeding season, but she’s 332grams????
    Will they fast this young?
    Guess I’ll keep trying weekly

Thanks

Spoke to the breeder, going to down size to a 6qt tub For the time being and see if it helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    When was her last shed? Maybe she's going into blue? They know before we do, trust me.

Thanks

I have had her maybe 5 weeks no shed yet. Going on 4 failed feedings...

Thanks

Well about it’s about time she’s finally ate!!! Now I tried everything, live rat, FT rat, live mouse, FT mouse, and even brained them. Every time I left them in over night. I even stayed up til midnight one time. Today I decided to try around 4pm. She wouldn’t strike at all, my wife called me for dinner so I left the mouse in the tub came back and hour later and she was eating it.

She never really lost any weight, I moved her about 3 times to different size tubes and 2 different locations on the rack. Let’s just hope she will eat another in a week since it was a very small meal!