Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

2 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Active python

Thanks

Active python

My BP (age 24, never been with male) was growing follicles and was bloated around the 12th march. About 17 days later on 30th march she shed her skin.
    I'm thinking it might have been the pre-lay shed.
    If so it should be the end of the month if anything is to be laid (I expect slugs maybe).

I noticed in the last couple of days she feels squidgy under neath but a bit nearer to the vent this time, and she would occasionally dart out of her box and go towards the ceramic heater in the corner(enclosed in steel mesh) and start exploring then go back in her box. Its not typically behaviour for her.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Did she go off food? My pregnant girls don't do anything fast. Mostly they just lay in odd positions and look miserable. That said it is not unheard of for a virgin female of that age to lay eggs. Most of the time they are not fertile, but I have heard of at least one occasion that the eggs were actually fertile.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Active python

Yes, but she goes off feed every year from around November to March give or take.

She hasn't eaten since november, but is still a good 3000 grams, 4'4" long, and is healthy looking, so I'm not worried just yet.
    I want to see what happens in the next couple of weeks regarding the eggs.

For the parthenogenesis, I don't think they are actually fertilized but are just live eggs, cause there's no male to fertilize them.
    I gather you meant live eggs, when you said on one occasion they were fertilized.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colin-java View Post
    Yes, but she goes off feed every year from around November to March give or take.

She hasn't eaten since november, but is still a good 3000 grams, 4'4" long, and is healthy looking, so I'm not worried just yet.
    I want to see what happens in the next couple of weeks regarding the eggs.

For the parthenogenesis, I don't think they are actually fertilized but are just live eggs, cause there's no male to fertilize them.
    I gather you meant live eggs, when you said on one occasion they were fertilized.
    I think the correct word would actually be viable. If you want to determine if there are eggs in there, pick her up with most of her body hanging tail down. Wait a few seconds then turn her head down and you will see the eggs move inside her. This is more visible the closer they get to laying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I think the correct word would actually be viable. If you want to determine if there are eggs in there, pick her up with most of her body hanging tail down. Wait a few seconds then turn her head down and you will see the eggs move inside her. This is more visible the closer they get to laying.
    Yeah viable is the right word, I tried the hanging thing, but can't really tell, its kinda springy in that area, and springy near the vent too.
    I guess all I can do is wait right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colin-java View Post
    Yeah viable is the right word, I tried the hanging thing, but can't really tell, its kinda springy in that area, and springy near the vent too.
    I guess all I can do is wait right now.
    If she hasn't eaten in a long time odds are there is something up especially with the way you describe it. Pregnant looks and feels, especially near the end like they need to take a huge dump. The difference is that there will be apparent swelling for a full third of the body from the tail end. If you want to keep the eggs please be ready. Others that have reported this on here were not and they let the eggs dry out before we found out if they were any good. When they come out just hit them with a flashlight. If they have veins you have good eggs. Is mamma a normal or something a little more exotic?

Thanks

The vet did an x-ray, and said it was the follicles, the swelling went down a lot though afterwards, I think maybe some got absorbed.

And like I said, the shed seems to time in exactly with a prelay shed, but it could just be a coincidence.

Always thought she was a boy for the last 24 years, and I don't know anything about the breeding cycle so I thought it might have been something like a bladder issue or something.
    She was drinking lots of water and laying almost belly up (in a circular coil fashion) quite often in the past 2-3 months.

She is a normal, when I got her in 1995 there wasn't really morphs available very much, not like it is now anyway.

I know to check for veins with light, but viable eggs has to be quite a long shot I think.
    Would be good though to hear the patter of tiny feet though.