Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

2 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

banana spotnose paradox?

found an ad for an adult male banana spotnose paradox BP for $350... is it just me, or is that a heckuva deal?? maybe I'm just a newbie (which I am) but it seems like just a banana sometimes goes for $300, and paradox would just make it even more expensive... he also comes with an enclosure, substrate, feeders, etc...

just for fun I calculated what the offspring would be if I purchased and paired him with my wild-type BP, and paradox is showing as "pos" - is that the same as 100% het? Obviously if I did start breeding I would definitely read up on all of the terms/procedure/etc, but I'm just curious.

thanks in advance!
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: banana spotnose paradox?

My understanding of paradox is that it's a random gene mutation that affects the snake's markings/coloring in some way. It's not a predictable, reproducable morph. A quick glance on MM shows some banana spotnoses for around $350, more expensive when other genes are added.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Make sure it is really a Paradox. I had a guy show me a Ringer and tell me it was a Paradox . He did not know what a Ringer was...
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

$300 for a single-gene banana (a male anyway) is way too high of a price from what I've seen. I paid $160 for my male last year and saw other less bright examples as low as $120, typically around $150. Super high contrast lines might be higher, I'm not familiar, but I still don't think it is $300.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

again, I'm a newbie, but the pics attached really did look paradoxical... and not normal banana scales. it looks like the snake just has a gross smear along his back, but a closer look it's really a bunch of scales that look like another animal. it's definitely easy to trick me though!
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

Thanks

It definitely could be a paradox with that description (I won't be definitive without seeing pictures; none showing for me in this thread).

All we're saying is that paradox is not genetic, so you won't get more paradox babies from breeding it unless you have insanely good luck.

Paradox happens in something like 1 in a million babies and has nothing to do with the parents genetics. (All of this said in the context of ball pythons... there is a specific line in Kenyan sand boas where paradox is genetic, but that's the only species where it isn't pure random chance)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

yes please post pix!

also i wouldn't believe the "Pos Paradox" thing that comes outta the genetics calculator. as already mentioned, it's random and rare. any pairing could produce a possible paradox b/c it's random luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    $300 for a single-gene banana (a male anyway) is way too high of a price from what I've seen. I paid $160 for my male last year and saw other less bright examples as low as $120, typically around $150. Super high contrast lines might be higher, I'm not familiar, but I still don't think it is $300.
    i know i person who paid $300 for a 1.0 Banana Lol.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    yes please post pix!

also i wouldn't believe the "Pos Paradox" thing that comes outta the genetics calculator. as already mentioned, it's random and rare. any pairing could produce a possible paradox b/c it's random luck.

In the last year or two?

I know they used to be more expensive, but other than high contrast lines or individuals, all the males I have seen in the last 2 years were below $200. Seems on the high end rather than an average or expected price.

Actually... I have seen 1 banana (probable male) for close to $300! It was on sale at a PetSmart for $279.99.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

yes please post pix!

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    In the last year or two?

I know they used to be more expensive, but other than high contrast lines or individuals, all the males I have seen in the last 2 years were below $200. Seems on the high end rather than an average or expected price.

Actually... I have seen 1 banana (probable male) for close to $300! It was on sale at a PetSmart for $279.99.
    Jellybeans paid $300 for her Banana boy aka Jellybeans. she's a newbie and prob paid that retail price u mentioned above.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Jellybeans paid $300 for her Banana boy aka Jellybeans. she's a newbie and prob paid that retail price u mentioned above.
    Right, right. I made my comment thinking solely of the direct from breeder or expo prices; thinking about the prices OP would be able to sell offspring at anyway. Individuals aren't likely to sell a banana for the same markup that pet shops can get.

That same store had a pied for around $550 a few months after. Some of the ones near me get really interesting morphs in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast