Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,915

2 members and 2,913 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I really don’t think my snakes know what a winter is here in Houston Texas, it’s summer all year long with a slightly cool day or two. Lol
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Thanks

Re: Are they all picky eaters?

welp...the last 2x I fed him he didn't strike. Looked very interested but just wouldn't bite. I just put the rat down in his tub and when I go back it's gone, so he's still never missed a meal, but he's definitely acting way outta character.

after the first time this happened I decided to give him 10 days in between feeding, but sure enough, he did the exact same thing when I feed him again.

I'm not sure if a hunger strike is coming or what? He's now 16 months and 1280 grams (right before a poop). Wondering if I should stay at 10 days or even drop back to 1x every 2 weeks. Currently feeding Small Rats

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It sounds to me like he's getting "enough" to eat (& by that I mean probably too much), & I'd take the cue and slow down (space meals farther apart &/or feed smaller).

Also, many snakes do learn that their food is always dead & that they don't have to do battle with it so they can just eat it without the struggle. That's why it's dangerous
    to switch a snake from eating f/t to eating live...their defenses will be down & they'll get injured) Some snakes never eat passively though, while most are "in-between"-
    meaning they forcefully grab prey from tongs but stop short of a full constriction. Some snakes catch on to f/t so well they'll even eat calmly from your fingers, but I'm just bragging about my young rat snakes, lol. You'll be sorry if you try that with most snakes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    I'm a newbie. Only had my BP 6 months now. He eats like a champ. He's really food aggressive, and has never missed a meal (of course, he's only 7 months old). He ate on Sunday night, and on Wednesday night made a mess so I decided to clean his tub. Before putting him back I held him for a short while, where he proceeded to cuddle up against my arm and start eating my wrist. He didn't strike...just started eating. I hadn't handled any feeders or my geckos, I actually just washed my hands. It was surprising because he never takes mice like that...he has to strike and wrap them....

I was wondering if maybe since he ate 3 days ago he was still kinda in "feed mode"? Or if maybe there are some BPs that just aren't picky eats and will take pretty much whatever you give them? I have no doubt he will switch to rats with ease....which is coming in 3 weeks...but I'm assuming this will all change when he hits maturity, correct? Or is it possible he just keeps on keeping on?
    Many of my best eaters over the years have been Royals !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

the small rats I give him are between 40-69 grams (at least according to Layne Labs). That said, I have been feeding on a 7 day schedule.

I would agree that he's definitely slowing down...I'm just wondering if I should stay at 10 days or fall back to 2 weeks. He used to be the most aggressive eater, so it's very surprising to me that he's still eating, just not striking. Prior to these, he would absolutely slam the rats.

Thanks

I guess he was slowing down because for the first time ever he turned down a meal...and this was after waiting a full 2 weeks.

I waited another 2 weeks and fed him last night and he took the rat pretty quickly.

I guess I'll just stick with a 1x per 2 week schedule and monitor his weight moving forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12