Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

2 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Are they all picky eaters?

I'm a newbie. Only had my BP 6 months now. He eats like a champ. He's really food aggressive, and has never missed a meal (of course, he's only 7 months old). He ate on Sunday night, and on Wednesday night made a mess so I decided to clean his tub. Before putting him back I held him for a short while, where he proceeded to cuddle up against my arm and start eating my wrist. He didn't strike...just started eating. I hadn't handled any feeders or my geckos, I actually just washed my hands. It was surprising because he never takes mice like that...he has to strike and wrap them....

I was wondering if maybe since he ate 3 days ago he was still kinda in "feed mode"? Or if maybe there are some BPs that just aren't picky eats and will take pretty much whatever you give them? I have no doubt he will switch to rats with ease....which is coming in 3 weeks...but I'm assuming this will all change when he hits maturity, correct? Or is it possible he just keeps on keeping on?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Are they all picky eaters?

How much does he weigh? How long is he? What is his feeding schedule? What are you feeding him and how big is the food item?
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 04-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    How much does he weigh? How long is he? What is his feeding schedule? What are you feeding him and how big is the food item?
    He's 233 grams as of last night (figured Id put him on the scale since I was cleaning). Roughly 24 inches long

I feed him 2 small mice on Sunday. Mice weigh 10-14 grams individually, so he's getting somewhere between 20-28 grams per feeding. I only have 4 small mice left, and I'm switching to rats in 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Not picky enough, apparently?

Maybe a diminished sense of smell* coupled with still hungry? *boxes checked for warm & wiggling, just not for scent.

But the good news is that hands & arms are VERY filling & you won't have to feed as often... -Yes, I'm joking!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Andiamo (04-18-2019),Dianne (04-18-2019),JodanOrNoDan (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I think it just depends sometimes, assuming you're feeding appropriately sized prey. With some of my BP's, after they eat I don't see them again until it's time to eat again. I also have a few that come out to roam after about 3 nights. And another one that pops her head out looking awfully optimistic anytime I pass by her cage. All are growing and healthy. I'm not one to take chances with cage maintenance while the snake is still in its enclosure, though, at least for the ones still in smaller set ups. If I need to do anything more than fill up water, the snake gets removed.

Edited to add: Sorry, just reread and realized the snake was out when he tried to make a meal out of you. I've had that happen once, no striking or anything. Just chomping down on my hand and wrapping and not letting go. At the time that snake was getting rat pups and was fairly strike-happy for a while. Now that she's on weaned rats she has calmed down considerably.
    Last edited by WhompingWillow; 04-18-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Andiamo (04-18-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    He is light for 6 months. I'm betting he is just hungry and trying to grow. I would temporarily bump the feeding schedule up to every four or five days and get him on something that is at least as big around as he is. I have seen the "I am going to try to eat you behavior" before as well as "food aggression". I have only ever seen it in young babies and females that are plumping up to lay. It always means I need more food.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019),Sonny1318 (11-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    I'm a newbie. Only had my BP 6 months now. He eats like a champ. He's really food aggressive, and has never missed a meal (of course, he's only 7 months old). He ate on Sunday night, and on Wednesday night made a mess so I decided to clean his tub. Before putting him back I held him for a short while, where he proceeded to cuddle up against my arm and start eating my wrist. He didn't strike...just started eating. I hadn't handled any feeders or my geckos, I actually just washed my hands. It was surprising because he never takes mice like that...he has to strike and wrap them....

I was wondering if maybe since he ate 3 days ago he was still kinda in "feed mode"? Or if maybe there are some BPs that just aren't picky eats and will take pretty much whatever you give them? I have no doubt he will switch to rats with ease....which is coming in 3 weeks...but I'm assuming this will all change when he hits maturity, correct? Or is it possible he just keeps on keeping on?
    I’ve had Royals that fed better than any of my other snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Andiamo (11-14-2019),Sonny1318 (11-14-2019)

Thanks

He's now 13 months...has not missed a single meal. I open his tub 3 days after eating and he will raise the first 3rd of his body off the ground in the perfect coiled strike position and come right outta the tub...it looks like he wants to bite me in the face. I swear he acts more like a boa than a bp.

I switched over to small rats months ago. He's still super food aggressive, but he's fine once you tap him (I have to distract him with 1 hand and scoop with the other). Good news is that he's great when handling, and hasn't tried to make a meal of me since the last incident. And while it looks like he wants to bite me in the face, he actually has never once struck at my face...or even my hand for that matter. I hope he never changes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2020)

Thanks
    I have two males that are two months away from being 2 years old. Neither one of them have ever missed a meal. Now I’m not going to be worried if they do later on in life, as it seems they tend to slow down the older they get.
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Andiamo (11-14-2019),Sonny1318 (11-14-2019)

Thanks

I'm expecting that around the 2 year mark he will slow down...but part of me is hoping I just lucked out and got a good feeder.

I have a Leopard Gecko that eats like a water monitor as well. She eats all year round, and will only sorta slow down during ovulation. Whereas my other Leopard Gecko is notorious for going off food, once fasting for almost 5 months. Scared the living crap outta me. She has prepared me well for a BP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast