Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 869

4 members and 865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Well, back in the day, I had a female guyana bcc that reached 11ft in my care, and while rather big, I found her to be fairly easy to handle due to her placid nature. I'm not a very tall guy, but dealing with her was more like weight lifting than a wrestling match.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2019),Joci (04-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Could I handle an adult BCC?

Quote Originally Posted by Joci View Post
    Thanks! What you’re saying here makes it seem like it could be realistic for me to keep a Pokigron Suri male (which is what I was looking for in the first place) without trouble.

I don’t live by myself, so even in the case that the snake grew to be on the larger side, I have people that are willing to help me handle it.

Because of them, it wouldn’t become an issue of “The snake is too big so I can’t take care of it anymore”, but the people I live with aren’t quite as fond of boop noodles as I am and would probably prefer that I didn’t need to ask for their help, so that’s why I made this thread.

From what you’ve told me, it seems like there wouldn’t be a very high chance that he would become extremely big anyway. I’ll continue to do my research and seek out advice around here, adding new animals to my household isn’t a decision I make lightly!
    Correct,

If you are mature, responsible, and in good health, you should have no problems with the Pokigron Suri. Even a female, at least from the Rio Bravo lines should stay within the "average" of what is generally expected.

Unless you get a terribly intolerant animal, you should be able to handle it quite easily.

Size in and of itself, unless we're talking GIANT, isn't always the big issue during handling.

I would take 2, 3 or even four more feet of my BC over my 8+ foot SD X Dwarf retic. Even some large colubrids are a chore when it comes to handling.

I usually find that boa constrictors move in a very controlled and deliberate manner. My retic is too busy and my carpet is somewhat sporadic with her movements but still a great handling snake.

If you want bigger, I'd highly recommend a BC.

Bloods are great but similar to what you have. A boa is very different and I think a nice direction to take when looking to step up in size.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-20-2019),Joci (04-20-2019)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I've got a BCC that's 6-7 years old now and only a little over 6 feet and maybe 10 pounds. I'm not much larger than you and went for a male just in case, I prefer smaller for multiple reasons. I don't worry about dealing with him by myself at all but I am cautious when feeding him, boas are not like my short tails at all lol. It's pretty easy to tell his mood and he's very easy to handle.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-21-2019),jmcrook (04-21-2019),Joci (04-21-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12