Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

2 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Female Albino, 2.5 years old. Changed Behavior.

Well Sophie is a good size girl now at around 2.5 years. She doesn’t eat much but also doesn’t exercise much. She’s aprox 2500 grams.
    Over the last 2 weeks she has been sleeping outside her hides. She moves the hide with her body, going behind it, then either wraps around it or just stretches out sleeping across her whole 4’ enclosure.
    Of course any changes bother me as I cant seem to understand after 30 years why snakes do what they do hahahahah. Most nights she has her head on the sliding glass lip watching out into the room, i open it up, she puts her head on my arm for a bit then goes back into her enclosure. She doesn’t seem stressed or anything else... she just wants to sleep in the open stretched out or wrap around the outside of her hide. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Not exactly the same, but my male will do something similar.
    I put a water bowl on top of his RBI hide just to help with humidity. It's a dog bowl that's hollow underneath and he'll wiggle his way "under" it so he's probably 80% exposed, just his neck and a few inches of body under it with his head poking out. The majority of his body is draped over the top and side of his hide. His demeanor hasn't changed a bit, so I guess he just likes to hang out there.

I started keeping snakes almost 20 years ago and am still fascinated and often baffled by them.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-17-2019 at 10:47 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2019),CALM Pythons (04-18-2019),fadingdaylight (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I don't think anyone has all the answers, lol, & snakes give very poor interviews.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-18-2019),fadingdaylight (04-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Female Albino, 2.5 years old. Changed Behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't think anyone has all the answers, lol, & snakes give very poor interviews.
    But that's what keeps them fascinating and captivating to us it's like you're learning different things you never can quite figure it out sometimes.....

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    But that's what keeps them fascinating and captivating to us it's like you're learning different things you never can quite figure it out sometimes.....

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah, exactly. How boring if they were all the same, but no, they have their own personalities.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Well Sophie is a good size girl now at around 2.5 years. She doesn’t eat much but also doesn’t exercise much. She’s aprox 2500 grams.
    Over the last 2 weeks she has been sleeping outside her hides. She moves the hide with her body, going behind it, then either wraps around it or just stretches out sleeping across her whole 4’ enclosure.
    Of course any changes bother me as I cant seem to understand after 30 years why snakes do what they do hahahahah. Most nights she has her head on the sliding glass lip watching out into the room, i open it up, she puts her head on my arm for a bit then goes back into her enclosure. She doesn’t seem stressed or anything else... she just wants to sleep in the open stretched out or wrap around the outside of her hide. Anyone have any ideas?

i have a 5 year old male clown, that literally never uses his hide unless he’s in shed. He moves the hide all over, sleeps behind it, lays his head on it. Pushes a very heavy water dish, just to lay in the open. Just chill as chill can be and is just shy of 1700 grams, so no health issues. I always thought he was a little different, because he never felt a need to hide. Recently another one of my boys, a 3 year old and 1385 grams Hypo Super Enchi started similar behavior. They are both good eaters, the oldest is fasting but the younger eating like crazy for this time of the year. And more and more constantly out. I keep them in my main living area. There’s only four us, but they do see some traffic, but still just chill out in the open. I truly believe they have no reason to fear and have come to accept this. My other two are very happy to stay out of sight, but have also took a break or two out in the open, my Pied loves his water bowl periodically also. But yes it amazes me at times how comfortable they are being out in the open. Kevin from nerd states in his book he does believe they have some “concept” of being kept. Peace out hope this helped bro.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019),CALM Pythons (04-18-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-18-2019),fadingdaylight (04-18-2019),TechnoCheese (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    The hide wrapping could be her building follicles. They will seek cool surfaces while building and can act funny. She's the perfect size and weight for breeding too so that may be the cause.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eramyl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019),CALM Pythons (04-18-2019),fadingdaylight (04-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eramyl View Post
    The hide wrapping could be her building follicles. They will seek cool surfaces while building and can act funny. She's the perfect size and weight for breeding too so that may be the cause.
    Thats what I was wondering.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    i have a 5 year old male clown, that literally never uses his hide unless he’s in shed. He moves the hide all over, sleeps behind it, lays his head on it. Pushes a very heavy water dish, just to lay in the open. Just chill as chill can be and is just shy of 1700 grams, so no health issues. I always thought he was a little different, because he never felt a need to hide. Recently another one of my boys, a 3 year old and 1385 grams Hypo Super Enchi started similar behavior. They are both good eaters, the oldest is fasting but the younger eating like crazy for this time of the year. And more and more constantly out. I keep them in my main living area. There’s only four us, but they do see some traffic, but still just chill out in the open. I truly believe they have no reason to fear and have come to accept this. My other two are very happy to stay out of sight, but have also took a break or two out in the open, my Pied loves his water bowl periodically also. But yes it amazes me at times how comfortable they are being out in the open. Kevin from nerd states in his book he does believe they have some “concept” of being kept. Peace out hope this helped bro.
    Glad this is happening with others. My biggest problem is that she is so thick Ive had to ise the XL Hides now as her Larges door was to small, now between those and the 5QT water bowl she has no room in a 4’ enclosure...ive kept Burms all my life and they like to be out and about so I worry she might want more room too and that could be why she is laying outside the hides... but i think thats more my thought process than a ball pythons hahahahaha. Guess i’ll just sit back and watch. She is a smart girl and always does what she needs, im just a control freak and cant except it hahahaha

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019),fadingdaylight (04-18-2019),Sonny1318 (04-18-2019)