Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

1 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: BPs/Corns Eating Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    That's why I find it interesting to own two different species of snakes just to compare the way they do things

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    And pretty soon you'll want at least 2 of each kind, because hey, they aren't all the same even if the same species...

Thanks

We were just discussing that sometimes snakes do things we don't understand, well.. always when my ball python eats he goes in his warm hide and you usually don't see him for a good day and a half. Well he's been out roaming the tank a little tonight.
    I don't recall ever seeing him do this after a meal

Last edited by Jellybeans; 04-18-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

That's why I find it interesting to own two different species of snakes just to compare the way they do things

I agree. I have 4 species and 6 snakes. They are all different both species wise and have their own individual personalities as well.

I also have 7 lizards and 5 different species. The same holds true for them as well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019),Dianne (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    Yes my Ratnsnake is soooo fun to feed! She just really chomps them down without any fuss at all. She can eat a mouse in 2 minutes or less
    My BP has to have the stars aligned and everything set up just so, and once he starts to eat I leave him alone for 20 minutes because it takes him that long. And he only constricts sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

We were just discussing that sometimes snakes do things we don't understand, well.. always when my ball python eats he goes in his warm hide and you usually don't see him for a good day and a half. Well he's been out roaming the tank a little tonight.
    I don't recall ever seeing him do this after a meal

He might still be in feeding mode, higher energy than normal.All that adrenaline still pumping.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    It typically takes me the same amount of time to feed my 30 colubrids, retics and boas as it does to feed 6 BP's. They corns will definitely let you know when feeding day is getting near.
    Last edited by 67temp; 04-18-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2019)

Thanks
    I have a ball python and he usually takes about 10 minutes to eat, that's including the constricting time but sometimes he takes longer. One time he took a whole hour to eat his rat, I think he was having a hard time finding the head. He usually goes in the warm cave after his meals for 2 to 3 days but sometimes he'll act like he didn't even eat and just roam around everywhere in the enclosure and want to come out. Even though he's all over the place sometimes I still don't let him out no matter how cute he is until 48 hours has passed. One time he really went all out and climbed his branches, it looked hard on his bulging stomach, well after he did that he went to bed for 2 days straight, I think he got an upset stomach and learned his lesson as he didn't do it for a long time after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I had a young Dwarf SunGlow Boa that would strike instantly every time but then seemed to go to sleep for about ten minutes with the rat ( thawed) in his jaws before eating !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I had a young Dwarf SunGlow Boa that would strike instantly every time but then seemed to go to sleep for about ten minutes with the rat ( thawed) in his jaws before eating !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, some snakes do that instinctively so they are SURE not to swallow a living rodent that can harm their insides. If you use your tongs to jiggle their prey, it's resets
    their "timer" to wait longer & make sure it's dead... The BCI I had for many years often did that. It wasn't that she didn't want to eat, she had a huge appetite, but
    living prey was a deal-breaker. Clearly no relation to bull snakes (Pituophis)...they happily gulp down rodents that are still kicking. They are active diurnal hunters with a very different perspective.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12