Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

3 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Who doesn't love a good dog rescue story?

Bangkok (CNN)Workers on an oil rig some 130 miles (220 kilometers) off the coast of Thailand found an unexpected new friend swimming nearby: a dog.

The brown canine was found paddling near the rig, cold and shivering, with no indication of how he got there.
    Rig worker Vitisak Payalaw, an offshore planner with Chevron, told CNN that fellow staff members spotted the dog swimming towards the platform on the afternoon of April 12, and held out a pole for him. But, buffeted by the waves, he was unable to climb up, his grasp repeatedly slipping.
    "I thought that if we didn't move quickly, I would not be able to help him," said Payalaw. "If he lost his grip, it would be very difficult to help him."

Workers threw a rope around the dog to rescue it from the sea.

Payalaw described how the dog simply held on silently, looking up at the workers.
    "His eyes were so sad. He just kept looking up just like he wanted to say, 'please help me,'" he said.
    "At that moment, whoever saw this, they would just have to help."

Boonrod was so exhausted that it couldn't move much.

The workers then decided to throw a rope around the dog and pull him up.
    Once on board they bathed the dog and gave him some fresh water and an electrolyte drink, naming him Boonrod, which means "survivor."
    "He looked extremely exhausted and ran out of energy. He didn't move much," Payalaw told CNN. "He was shaking and he couldn't stand, he had to sit all the time."

Boonrod has returned to the mainland to be looked after by a charity.

Boonrod -- an aspin, a breed native to the Philippines -- was returned at around 10 a.m. local time Monday to the mainland, where he was taken in by the charity Watchdog Thailand.
    The dog was then transferred to an animal clinic in Thailand's Songkla province, the charity said on its unofficial Facebook page.

Payalaw said on his Facebook page that Boonrod would be given temporary shelter at a dog home until he can regain his strength.
    If no one comes to reclaim Boonrod, Payalaw said he would adopt him.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-16-2019),Maru (06-02-2019),Shayne (04-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Who doesn't love a good dog rescue story?

Great ending.
    If they could only talk and tell of their story. I adopted a dog a few years ago and always speculate what kind of life she came from. She's the best behaved one I've ever had. She was about 5 when I got her and HW positive.

Bindi

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 04-16-2019 at 07:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    All my dogs (including my current pair) have been rescues/shelter dogs too. I just cannot support breeding dogs when so many are homeless for no reason.

The dog rescued from the ocean had to have either fallen off a boat (why didn't they stop & help? -maybe didn't realize until later?) or been thrown over-board.
    Either way, it's awesome that he was saved, & if not claimed, is also spoken for by one of the men who helped him.

Thanks

Personally I feel dog breeding should not be allowed until the streets in the shelters are clear.
    That's my opinion and it will never change. Houston has a HUGE problem with strays.
    Makes you wonder how that dog got out in the middle of the ocean . I mean if you got your dog on a boat you should have your eyes on it at all times to make sure it doesn't fall overboard.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2019)

Thanks

OhMyGod! What an amazing rescue!

I agree. I will NEVER get a registered dog as long as there's homeless out there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2019)