Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,734

0 members and 2,734 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

What to do when my snake arrives?

When I do order my snake, is there anything I should specifically do when it arrives beyond weighing it, placing it in the enclosure, and trying to avoid stressing it as much as possible? How long should I wait before feeding?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Typically you want to wait 5-7 days. My BP was a pet shop snake, and was clearly hungry, so I fed on day 3. Otherwise, just give it time to settle in, keep an eye on your temps and humidity, and maybe do a quick visual health check when you first receive it. Look for signs of under and overfeeding, check for mites, or any other visual cues of an issue.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2019),TechnoCheese (04-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts
    Do that ^ ^ ^ and then keep checking for mites every day or so (with as little disruption as you can manage). Letting a snake relax & settle in with NO handling
    is one of the best things you can do...their immune system suffers when re-homed & handling is stressful until they learn gradually not to fear us. But mites can
    quickly overwhelm a small snake especially, so don't be complacent or too trusting of any source...mites "happen" & can kill your snake faster than you might think.

No matter how nice some substrates hold humidity for species like BPs, you want your new snake on white paper towels for a substrate & don't over-do the
    decor; they need hides, but all that other stuff (aka "clutter") it's best to wait on, because you'll just be throwing it out if there's mites, & it might take longer
    to notice mites. Remember it's not only about getting rid of them, but hopefully before they transmit diseases to your pet.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2019 at 07:07 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-16-2019),TechnoCheese (04-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: What to do when my snake arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Typically you want to wait 5-7 days. My BP was a pet shop snake, and was clearly hungry, so I fed on day 3. Otherwise, just give it time to settle in, keep an eye on your temps and humidity, and maybe do a quick visual health check when you first receive it. Look for signs of under and overfeeding, check for mites, or any other visual cues of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Do that ^ ^ ^ and then keep checking for mites every day or so (with as little disruption as you can manage). Letting a snake relax & settle in with NO handling
    is one of the best things you can do...their immune system suffers when re-homed & handling is stressful until they learn gradually not to fear us. But mites can
    quickly overwhelm a small snake especially, so don't be complacent or too trusting of any source...mites "happen" & can kill your snake faster than you might think.

No matter how nice some substrates hold humidity for species like BPs, you want your new snake on white paper towels for a substrate & don't over-do the
    decor; they need hides, but all that other stuff (aka "clutter") it's best to wait on, because you'll just be throwing it out if there's mites, & it might take longer
    to notice mites. Remember it's not only about getting rid of them, but hopefully before they transmit diseases to your pet.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Make sure the heat sources and thermostats are in place and running for a few days so you work out all of the kinks with heating.

Pre-treat the enclosure, hides, and paper substrate for mites a day or so before the snake arrives. That gives everything a chance to dry before it's used.

Put the water bowl in the day the snake arrives.

Video the unboxing. Wipe the snake with a damp paper towel as it comes out of the shipping box (to look for mites), then put it away.

If you are having FedEx deliver to your house avoid the temptation to hit F5 on the tracking info every ten minutes. If you are picking up at the hub then be there ten minutes before it opens so you are first in line.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2019),fadingdaylight (04-17-2019),TechnoCheese (04-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: What to do when my snake arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Make sure the heat sources and thermostats are in place and running for a few days so you work out all of the kinks with heating.

Pre-treat the enclosure, hides, and paper substrate for mites a day or so before the snake arrives. That gives everything a chance to dry before it's used.

Put the water bowl in the day the snake arrives.

Video the unboxing. Wipe the snake with a damp paper towel as it comes out of the shipping box (to look for mites), then put it away.

If you are having FedEx deliver to your house avoid the temptation to hit F5 on the tracking info every ten minutes. If you are picking up at the hub then be there ten minutes before it opens so you are first in line.
    Thank you for the tips! I’ve had my enclosures up for a few months, and I’ve been monitoring temps. Although, I do think my hygrometer just stopped working... lol.

I was thinking about videoing the unboxing and posting it on YouTube for a review. Sure hope my voice isn’t too annoying

What product would you recommend to treat the quarantine enclosure for mites?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    The NIX/RID solution mentioned in https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...it-with-AaronP is inexpensive, effective, and easy to use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

TechnoCheese (04-16-2019)