Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,047

0 members and 3,047 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Baird's Rat Snake Info

I'm doing research for a Baird's rat snake, so if anyone has any information or experience with them please post it here

Thanks

Re: Baird's Rat Snake Info

I know this is right up somebody alley and I'm sure they'll reply soon....
    Bogertophis

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm gonna pretty much repeat what I already said privately...

Baird's rat snakes are great choice for a pet...they are typically mellow snakes that are great pets to handle. I recommend keeping them in a glass tank of the appropriate size- you could start off with a 20 or 30 gal.- it will take a while for them to outgrow it, but depending on gender (as to how long they get as adults) you'll eventually need a larger tank. My largest ones were housed in 50 gal. glass tanks. You want a screen top (secured so they cannot push off) because they are more of a desert type species that requires fresh air, not the closed-in
    way that BPs are typically kept. They love to climb on branches so I wedge branches in their cage diagonally as for my other rat snakes (currently Florida rat snakes & corn snakes).

My house (room) temps. are roughly 70* in winter & 80* in summer, & it's fine if those are the ambient temps. in their cages too. I used UTH under part of the tank- it should be mid to upper 80's over the UTH (in cage) & as with most snakes, a cool & warm side hides are used, & a water bowl (-doesn't have to be large). Baird's rat snakes are similar to a corn snake, only they like it slightly warmer & they get larger/longer. They'll happily eat f/t mice of the appropriate size. Their markings change as they grow from hatchlings, and the older they get, the more colors show between their scales. They're curious & docile...excellent pets, & not hard to keep.

You mentioned your plans to get a 40 gal. glass tank...
    A 40 gal. will take quite a while for him to outgrow, but fyi, my males were at least 6' long, & friendly as could be...I took them to meet the public in programs.

It was years ago, I had a breeding group of them....a male that lived the longest made it to 26 years of age. Your summer house temps. (74-78*) sound fine...
    most ppl run more AC than I do, lol. In a larger tank, it's a good idea to have both UTH, & an optional basking light (-controlled by rheostat, dim it way down),
    but a hatchling probably won't be brave enough to climb & thus make use of over-head light for quite some time, so the UTH is a must, & the overhead should
    be considered supplemental heat...very helpful in winter too. When you watch your snake you'll see what he uses & prefers. This may be a "ball python" forum
    but I'm first & foremost a rat snake lover. I prefer their ease of care & greater curiosity & activity.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (04-17-2019),distaff (04-17-2019),pretends2bnormal (04-16-2019)