Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

2 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Thermostat Probe Placement When Using Heat Tape

Howdy all!

So I'm going to be upgrading my bp to a 40g exoterra soon (I know a lot of people don't like using glass tanks for BPs, but I live in a warm, humid climate so I don't have a huge issue with keeping humidity and temps up with a couple of minor modifications). I'm going to be using heat tape underneath, and am looking for advice on thermostat probe placement. I know it's often suggested to sandwich the probe in between the heat tape and the underside of the enclosure, but I've also been told by somebody that they place the probe on the other side of the heat tape for many of their enclosures because it allows the heat tape to sit flush on the enclosure so there is even heating (and because heat tape heats on both sides, so the probe still reads the temperature from it correctly).

I just wanted some more opinions before I make a decision this weekend! (Also, any advice on what to use to secure the heat tape and probe to the enclosure are appreciated.)

Thanks!!

Thanks
    I put my probe where the BP will be laying in the enclosure so right under the warm hide under the substrate. As for the probe I honestly just use tape but I know some people will silicone it in place. To secure the heat tape I use aluminum tape. I hope this helps

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Thermostat Probe Placement When Using Heat Tape

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo4593 View Post
    I put my probe where the BP will be laying in the enclosure so right under the warm hide under the substrate. As for the probe I honestly just use tape but I know some people will silicone it in place. To secure the heat tape I use aluminum tape. I hope this helps
    Probes for heat tape/uth should never go inside the cage where the animal can touch it, move it, pee on it, spill its water on it, poop on it, etc. Also never use tape inside it he cage either. It will come undone and it will get stuck to your snake.
    OP, stick with probe sandwiched between the heat tape and bottom of the enclosure. I’d use foil tape to adhere it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (04-16-2019),MissterDog (04-16-2019)

Thanks

Yes, please do not use tape inside an enclosure. I know first hand what it can do to a snake. It was years ago and my son put tape on something in an enclosure he was keeping a tiny wild rescue red belly in. I was out of town and my son and wife had to remove the tape. Don't know if it was a direct cause but the snake didn't live much longer after the incident.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I might get a lot of disagreements but when I was using a glass tank, I taped my probe directly to the back of my UTH and it worked fine. You may have to adjust the thermostat slightly to get the correct reading on the glass on the inside of the tank but once mine was set, it always kept a stable temp. You can sandwich it but then if you ever want to change things up you'll either have to but a new probe or while new thermostat depending on the type. Just my opinion, it worked for me.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo4593 View Post
    Please DO NOT give this advice to anyone else again.
    Placement of the probe is one thing but recommending tape inside an enclosure to one of the worst things you can do.
    Thermostat probes go outside.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-17-2019),MissterDog (04-17-2019),pretends2bnormal (04-17-2019),Red357 (04-18-2019)