Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,775

0 members and 2,775 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Time to wean to rats, but encountering some problems.

Mice are easier to get hatchlings feeding. You start with hopper mice, which move around more and entice the snakes into feeding compared to fuzzy rats that mostly just lay there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eramyl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    I bought a group of snakes that were all mousers. 3 of 4 took rats right away but one always refused. She would take ft though, so I would defrost her mouse with the rest of the rats. After about 3 feedings she started to hesitate on the mouse so I offered a rat and she took it. Been eating rats since.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eramyl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If your snake seems a little interested but doesn't eat it, you can also try leaving it overnight...sometimes they do disappear. Some snakes just feed better
    in the dark & with privacy...& once it's thawed it's best to toss it anyway (don't re-freeze rodents) so what do you have to lose?
    Woke up not too long ago to find the rat still there, and quite frankly in front of him, lol. He showed interest all night but just wouldn’t go for it, I guess he’ll need a little coaxing.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Small rat should be fine at that size. As Bogertophis said, since he's used to mice it may take a while to switch. You can try thawing the rat in the same bag as a mouse or rubbing the rat in soiled mouse bedding if you have access. Sometimes they just need to get hungry enough. Don't worry if it takes a few weeks.
    How long should I wait until I get worried? Over protective mama alert . Also good to know that I’m following an accurate chart, lol, thank you.
    Dewey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pengil View Post
    OP, at that weight, I would say your snake is definitely fine to be eating small rats: The prey item should be about the width of the largest part of your snake, or a little larger. If you've been warming the rat, and your snake is showing interest, one of the best things you can do is just give it time. Keep the same routine as what he was on before, and continue to offer every week, or even every two weeks. Hunger usually wins in the end. Leaving the rat with him overnight is also fine.

Rubbing a mouse on the rat, rubbing mouse or gerbil bedding on the rat, or storing the rat with a mouse are all good things to try also. You can also experiment with different thawing and warming techniques. For example, I thaw my rats in cold water for an hour or two in the same room he's in. I then submerge the rat in very warm (but not hot!) water, at increasing temperatures, for 3 rounds of 10 minutes a piece. I then hit the rat with the hair dryer right in front of his enclosure, with the door open, and offer when the rat is warm enough, and he looks ready to fire. I have to gently wiggle the rat for probably a minute or two before he strikes. He also seems to prefer his rats wet- go figure.
    I’ve never heard of that technique BUT if worse comes to worse and push comes to shove, I’ll give it a whirl. I normally will use very warm water and change it out when it gets too cold for as long as I have to defrost. Usually that gets the mouse warmed and stinky enough for him. He’s never liked the wet mice though, always had a problem striking at them so I’ll defrost in a plastic baggie, I don’t think I’ll try wet rats being that he’s preferred even his mice dry.

My question is though, how much interest is enough interest? I don’t wanna go crazy with weaning techniques if his interest will get him there, but I’m not sure if him coming back and smelling/looking at it every 15-30 minutes or so is enough interest. You know?
    Dewey

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    FYI, it takes a lot longer to thaw in plastic bags...the air in bags is an insulator. I thaw directly in water, then blot off on paper towels, & serve damp.

I'm not keeping any BPs currently & none of my snakes care if the rodents are damp. But since you're feeding a BP & probably going to blow-dry it for heat-
    it's going to be pretty dry anyway by the time you offer it, & will have plenty of scent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12