Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,899

1 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Not eating live or f/t?

Hi! Got my ball python home a week ago. Breeder told me to feed him second day which I tried. Tried with a f/t because that’s what I’d love for him to eat. He didn’t take it. So waited one week and this evening got him a live mouse (he’s been fed both mice and rats at breeders) and he had no interest in it at all. So I guess I’m just gonna wait for another week then try again? Since it doesn’t seem to matter much as he had the same response to f/t (although he did do one strike at the f/t but missed and bonked his nose at the hide) and live so far would it be ok to try f/t again? Really so much less trouble as now I am stuck with a mouse I’m not sure what to do with for a week... also, how long is pretty standard it takes for a baby ball python to start eating in a new home? At home many denied preys should I get worried?

he seems to be doing ok. Hanging out in his hides all day but that seem normal. Second day he came out exploring a little bit however haven’t seen him do that since.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Not eating live or f/t?

Maybe worth you letting us know watch what the basic setup is like ... List equipment and where everything is positioned ...also temps warm side and cool side ( surface temps ) ..

Ideally a photo or two ( use TapaTalk to upload photos ..)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

I’ll upload a photo tomorrow. Temps are: 79-80 ambient temp with a 75w CHE on a thermostat controller (positioned in the middle of the tank). Hot side is 91 degrees UTH on thermostat controller. One hide on each side which he has been going between. Substrate is coconut fiber. I usually put a moist towel under the screen top in his cage that helps to keep humidity at 55-65%. I insulated three sides of the tank with styrofoam to make sure no colder temps gets in or the tank loose too much warmth. This was the CHE has to get turned on less and humidity seem to stay better. Also have an extra piece of styrofoam I put up during the night so it feels more like a tube with four closed sides.

He came from a regular tub situation where he was on paper towels so I imagine it’s quite a change for him.
    Last edited by EmiLee; 04-13-2019 at 02:10 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EmiLee For This Useful Post:

Hannahvh (04-13-2019)

Thanks
    Was he on F/T at the breeder's facility? Give him at least another week to settle in and try F/T again. If nothing, give him another week or so and try again, but I would wait before offering live. Make sure your feeder is warm enough. You don't want to cook the rodent, but after it thaws a lot of people here have great success heating it up with a blow dryer. Basically hit it with the blow dryer and immediately offer it (they cool down quickly), repeat as necessary. It's extremely likely he just needs to feel secure enough to feed, and remember these snakes can go a surprisingly long time without food, even when young. Hard for us to wrap our heads around sometimes!

At this time you should be totally hands off until he feeds, and try generally to disturb him as little as possible. Your setup sounds fine, but you are right that it is a big change from the breeder's setup, and remember that to a snake your house smells completely different than the world he is familiar with.

Keep us updated!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -ryan- For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-13-2019),Dianne (04-13-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for your response. He was eating live at the breeder that’s why I tried out with live second time however he seemed to have less interest in the live compared to the f/t.

Thanks
    Still questioning if I should try to change out his substrate to paper towels... it will be stressful for about 10 min or so but maybe less stressful for the next 7 days hmmmm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLee View Post
    Still questioning if I should try to change out his substrate to paper towels... it will be stressful for about 10 min or so but maybe less stressful for the next 7 days hmmmm
    I personally would leave the setup alone, leave the snake alone to get used to it, and just be patient. More changes at this point will set you further behind.

Since the breeder was feeding live, if he doesn't have any interest in F/T the next go around in a week, it might be worth trying live after another week goes by. Sometimes they simply won't recognize F/T as a food source and you have to gradually convert them once they are eating well.

Space your food offerings out because if you try to offer too often the snake will often get more stressed and continue to refuse food.

Most of all, don't worry until there is cause to worry! Let the snake be a snake and let him settle in.

Thanks

Thanks Ryan! I tend to get worried easily especially when it comes to a new pet. Not sure if I’ll be able to keep the mouse alive for a week that I bought without my husband adopting it as a pet lol 😂 will probably try f/t with the hairdryer method next week as he actually seemed more interested in f/t than live between the two different times I tried. Also just had my temp gun arrive in the mail today and seems as hot temps ran a little higher than I thought just over the pad at 93-94 so turned it down a bit.