Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

2 members and 2,807 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Sushi - Progression Thread

I have been meaning to get around to this for a little while now. I have actually had Sushi for 6 weeks, but I will start from the beginning. I apologize for being long winded here, but this has been a significant event in my life.

A little backstory here, I have been absolutely terrified of snakes for most of my life. When I was a kid, I was out on a Cub Scout hike and I almost stepped on one, and it left a mark on me. Years later, while I was in basic training, I had another, almost identical, encounter. I also had some ingrained idea in my head that I hated sushi, or that it could kill me, or something like that, until a few months ago, when I tried it and realized I love it.

A few months ago, I started taking an interest in snakes, in spite of my fears, and of course turned to looking at the types commonly kept as pets. After a few weeks , I decided that a ball python would likely be the best choice for me, and went about researching their care requirements, husbandry, etc. I decided to swing by Petsmart to see if they had one that I could get a closer look at. At this point, I had no intention of actually buying one, and certainly not from a pet shop, I just wanted a better feel for what I was considering.

Anyhow, they had 3 BPs when I went by, 2 normal and a pastel. One of the two normal was darker than the other and caught my eye. I asked the lady if I could hold it, to which she obliged, to my surprise (this makes me wonder how these poor animals get by, being picked up by random people all day). It was an exhilarating experience, and when I went to put the snake back, it constricted around my wrist as if to say "I don't want to go back" (yeah, yeah, don't personify the reptile, I know, I'm just describing a fleeting experience).

My wife wanted to handle the pastel, which refused to be taken from it's enclosure. We were told that they had all just arrived that day. We were also told (incorrectly) that they were all a month old. And a few other inaccuracies. Anyhow, I realized that one I had handled showed no warning signs of health issues, mites, or even fear. Long tongue flicks, uncoiled slowly, etc., and seemed to be okay with me handling it. So naturally, I did what beginners do, and went back and bought it. But, I'm really glad that I did. In spite of the horror stories coming from these big box pet shops, Sushi has been a true success story. Eats like a champ, is alert and curious, isn't fearful or reactive/aggressive.

Sushi has not yet been sexed, I refrained from doing anything unnecessary during the first few weeks, focusing on feeding and settling in instead. A vet visit, to the closest reptile vet, for a fecal and probing, is in the near future, so gender will be announced in the coming weeks.

Here is a picture from the first night, March 1.

More to follow shortly...
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2019),Dianne (04-12-2019),WhompingWillow (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Sushi - Progression Thread

Looks like Sushi has found a good home. I also couldn't resist a good old normal from a big box shop, albeit for different reasons (horrible stuck shed, very thin). He's a sweetheart, too, but now I don't look at the snakes when I go there so they don't tug at the heartstrings.

Are you using an ExoTerra? I also have a few of those. Word of warning about the foam rock background - snakes love to wedge themselves behind there, even if you don't think they can fit. I scared the crap out of myself one day thinking my sub-adult super stripe escaped, as he was nowhere to be found in his cage. Turns out he had managed to get behind the background. No idea how. I've since removed them.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2019),Dianne (04-12-2019),fadingdaylight (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    The original enclosure setup was an Exo Terra 36x18x12, with foil covering most of the top, a Zoo Med heat mat on a Zilla on/thermostat, a heat lamp on top, two Zoo Med thermometers monitoring ambient on either end, and a simple hydrometer in the middle. A few store bought hides that were too big, a single water dish and a climbing log.

The first weight was 190g, and the first feeding went smoothly, with the mouse being struck while hanging by it's tail from the tongs. Subsequent feedings (aside from the one during shed and the first rat attempt) have been just as smooth.

Still more to follow, trying to get this up to current...
    - Jason

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2019),Dianne (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Here is the current incarnation of the tank.

I upgraded to a Herpstat 2, made some identical, appropriate sized, hides out of some salsa bowls, added in foam sides for insulation, swapped the red light for the purple bulb, added a second water dish for better humidity, and replaced the foil covering with some acrylic panels on the top. Sadly, I finished this up yesterday, a few hours after I ordered a RB PVC enclosure with and RHP, but hey, there will be a tank open...
    - Jason

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is a picture from the first "blue" during Sushi's time with me, this was a few weeks back. My avatar is just after the shed, with fresh shining scales.

- Jason

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm loving your back-story on Sushi, & I've always liked the 'normal' BPs best...not that there aren't others that are pretty, but I think "nature" did a really good job.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-12-2019),fadingdaylight (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Here is shoot from after the shed:
    - Jason

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2019),Dianne (04-12-2019),richardhind1972 (04-14-2019)

Thanks
    And here are some of the ventrals:
    - Jason

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This one is from the other night, after weighing in at a solid 260g up 70g in 6 weeks!

And this is just one from last night that I thought was cool:
    - Jason

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Sushi - Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Looks like Sushi has found a good home. I also couldn't resist a good old normal from a big box shop, albeit for different reasons (horrible stuck shed, very thin). He's a sweetheart, too, but now I don't look at the snakes when I go there so they don't tug at the heartstrings.

Are you using an ExoTerra? I also have a few of those. Word of warning about the foam rock background - snakes love to wedge themselves behind there, even if you don't think they can fit. I scared the crap out of myself one day thinking my sub-adult super stripe escaped, as he was nowhere to be found in his cage. Turns out he had managed to get behind the background. No idea how. I've since removed them.
    Thanks for the heads up. They won't be there long, my RB enclosure should be here in a few weeks, I have had a ton of temp issues with this Exo Terra, so I'm just going to upgrade and resolve all of the issues. I will keep a close watch though.
    - Jason

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast