Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: What size RHP?

Thanks

What size RHP?

I have a 24x18x12 exoterra that I am going to be setting up for my rosy boa when he gets a little bigger. Even with a heat mat, it takes a CHE right above the screen to get the temps up enough. Could a use a VE 28 watt RHP instead? Would that be enough wattage?
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks
    I set my enclosures up with Pro Products Pro Heat panels and couldn't be happier. You have to email or call, but if you give them all of the specs (enclosure size/material, room temperature, target hot side temperature) they will sell you the exact size/shape/wattage panel you need, and my personal opinion is that the build quality is better than the VE models (but you know the disclaimer about opinions). I like the aluminum housing and the long track record. They are also lower profile.

A lot of people are thrown off by the fact that you can't just order on their website, but they do that on purpose specifically so you don't get the wrong heat panel for your needs. No guesswork. Best shopping experience I've had in a long time, and the owner of the company really knows his stuff. He took a lot of time to answer all of my questions.

I am not in any way affiliated with Pro Products. I just like their product and trust that these will be the only heating elements I need for my snakes for the rest of their lives.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -ryan- For This Useful Post:

distaff (04-12-2019),reptilemom25 (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    That's a great endorsement. Yes, I was thrown off by having to call. I just set up my first PVC enclosure and I am running a VE RHP in it and have been happy. Have you run VE and been unhappy? I did some research and saw favorable opinions of both. I went with it because it is what Boamaster carries, and honestly because I liked the aesthetics better. The black blends so well with the cage top. I will give the guys at pro products a call to see what they can do. I think it's at least worth inquiring.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks
    They may be made better now, but I didn't like the smell the VE's and their predecessors put off, and I didn't like the taller construction. In an exo terra a VE would probably blend in better. In a PVC enclosure since the Pro Products are only 1" tall you won't see it unless look up under the lip of the enclosure. At least, I don't see them in my enclosures unless I bend down and look.

You probably can't go wrong with either. My experience with Pro Products panels vs. VE, helix, etc. has made me a believer in their product. I was lucky to have a local friend who has over a dozen of them in use so I was able to really check them out before committing to buying.

Thanks

Re: What size RHP?

Quote Originally Posted by -ryan- View Post
    They may be made better now, but I didn't like the smell the VE's and their predecessors put off, and I didn't like the taller construction. In an exo terra a VE would probably blend in better. In a PVC enclosure since the Pro Products are only 1" tall you won't see it unless look up under the lip of the enclosure. At least, I don't see them in my enclosures unless I bend down and look.

You probably can't go wrong with either. My experience with Pro Products panels vs. VE, helix, etc. has made me a believer in their product. I was lucky to have a local friend who has over a dozen of them in use so I was able to really check them out before committing to buying.
    Makes sense. I haven't noticed any smell from mine, but it is a little taller, close to 2"
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli