Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

0 members and 2,986 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help with safety for an AP cage with bellyheat.

So we just got a new AP cage for our boa. We're new to them as we're used to a pre-built rack system for our BPs. When it was ordered, we got the basics and didn't order the stand. Now I have to figure out what we can set it on since we're using the heat tape for belly heat for him. I don't want to catch anything under it on fire. I've already been through a total loss house fire (thankfully before the reptiles came along) and obviously don't want to repeat that by making a mistake. All the heating in general gives me anxiety, so I'm always fastidiously checking it to make sure it's in working order.

Are we better off just building our own stand or are there other, safe solutions out there?

Thanks
    What about pre made metal shelving? You can use a piece of foam insulation to reflect heat back to the enclosure. Also, I don't keep boas (except my little rosy) so I am not sure, but can you use RHP's with them? I just purchased my first one for my BP recently and i am very pleased. It is MUCH easier to manage than belly heat, and i feel like she is getting more through, consistent heat.
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 04-12-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-12-2019)

Thanks

Re: Help with safety for an AP cage with bellyheat.

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    What about pre made metal shelving? You can use a piece of foam insulation to reflect heat back to the enclosure. Also, I don't keep boas (except my little rosy) so I am not sure, but can you use RHP's with them? I just purchased my first one for my BP recently and i am very pleased. It is MUCH easier to manage than belly heat, and i feel like she is getting more through, consistent heat.
    I'm still getting used to some of our other options. Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about RHPs, at least not personally. I was sort of thrown into the reptile world a couple years ago and I've been scrambling to teach myself everything I could. My specialty is actually tarantulas. I wouldn't mind sticking with the heat tape since we already have it, but if it doesn't prove sufficient we could upgrade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gravewolf13 For This Useful Post:

reptilemom25 (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    I did a lot of research before I invested in a RHP. I would definitely suggest at least looking into it. It might not be right for your conditions, but its worth a look.
    I just didn't think I could get a PVC enclosure up to 88-90 on the hot side with heat tape alone because my house runs 68 in winter and 72 in summer. It worked in a small tub, but when I went to a medium sized tub, I had to add a CHE to get the ambient up enough. With the larger enclosure size and having to go through the PVC it just wouldn't have gotten there on heat tape alone. I figured since I was going to have to do overhead heat anyway, I may as well take the plunge. It was RHP or a hole in the top for a CHE. The RHP was more expensive, but does a MUCH better job. It gives me a perfect 88-89 hot side and 80-81 cool side, and Astrid is getting good heat without the heat tape, even inside her hide.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

distaff (04-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    A good t-stat, Vivarium Electronics, or Herpstat is designed to fail in the "off" position. That said, additional safety measures allow peace of mind. I set my tanks on a cut to fit insulation foam, and use foil beneath the heat pad to reflect up. Ceramic tiles can provide another barrier. Two of my enclosures have an RHP in addition to the heat pad(s). That helps with ambients, and provides an alternative basking spot (if you have a ledge beneath, take temps where the top surface of the snake would be). The RHP hooks up to another T-stat.
    Last edited by distaff; 04-12-2019 at 09:23 AM.