Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,486

0 members and 2,486 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need help, advice

I have 5 ball pythons, insulated rack enclosure.

We have been without power for 24 hours, battery backup for heat is only 12 hours.

Their temp is down to 68 degress, 62 in the house. We will be without power for another 36 to 48 hours. I can not take them anywhere as we are stranded.

What do I do? What do I do once power is restored?

Thanks in advance.
    1.0 Yellow belly - Squelch
    1.0 Spider 100% het albino- Gru
    1.0 Orange Ghost - Nefario
    2.2 Normal - Ginger, Shelly, Gus, Pumpernickle
    0.1 Granite - Margo
    0.1 100% DH Snow (VPI)

2.0 Bearded dragons - Spike & Chef

4 Crested geckos

4.0 Dachshunds Winston, Hugh, Gilligan, and Cowboy.
    1.0 fostered Dachshunds currently Archie

29 Dachshunds adopted through our house to date.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,803 Times in 11,832 Posts
    Do you have a gas hot water heater, by any chance? I went thru a 4-day outage in an ice storm with no house heating, only hot water. If you don't have a gas
    hot water heater, start heating some water over candles if you have to, but get hot water and fill some jars/bottles with it.

Before I realized how long the outage would be, I bagged my snakes (separately) & put them in plastic ventilated containers under my down comforter with me for
    heat...the outage happened early morning, & btw, you're lucky that you only have 5 snakes! I had 15 snakes, including a large BCI (boa) at the time.

Once I realized the outage was continuing for a long time, I pulled out ice chests (styrofoam shipping boxes work too) and put 2 or 3 bagged snakes of similar
    size (so a large heavy one doesn't lay on top of a small one) in each ice chest, along with a large jar or 2 of hot water, & kept the chests closed for 8-9 hours, at
    which time I changed the water. The ice chests remained 80-82* all that time, & fresh hot water every 8-9 hours was all it took to keep them safe & healthy.
    BTW, I put those ice chests on my couch & insulated around them with pillows & blankets, to keep the heat inside. It all helped...

Another method that works too is using the heat packs used in air shipping reptiles...(or chemical hand warmer packets, like hunters use), but this takes advance
    planning to have them on hand... Where you live, I hope you have some of these things on hand...?

During that ice storm my house got pretty cold (about 45* & I didn't even lose any food from my fridge & freezer: frozen food I put in another ice chest on my
    front porch (it was freezing or below outside), & all the cold food was fine in my garage which stayed about 40*. But sadly I know that many who had snakes in
    the wide area affected that year lost many to the cold & subsequent illnesses...I hope you & yours will be ok.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-11-2019 at 09:09 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-11-2019),distaff (04-11-2019),TechnoCheese (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    BTW, if nothing else, put them in your shirt...ie. use your own body heat to keep them warm. I sure would...

Thanks

Re: Need help, advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Do you have a gas hot water heater, by any chance? I went thru a 4-day outage in an ice storm with no house heating, only hot water. If you don't have a gas
    hot water heater, start heating some water over candles if you have to, but get hot water and fill some jars/bottles with it.

Before I realized how long the outage would be, I bagged my snakes (separately) & put them in plastic ventilated containers under my down comforter with me for
    heat...the outage happened early morning, & btw, you're lucky that you only have 5 snakes! I had 15 snakes, including a large BCI (boa) at the time.

Once I realized the outage was continuing for a long time, I pulled out ice chests (styrofoam shipping boxes work too) and put 2 or 3 bagged snakes of similar
    size (so a large heavy one doesn't lay on top of a small one) in each ice chest, along with a large jar or 2 of hot water, & kept the chests closed for 8-9 hours, at
    which time I changed the water. The ice chests remained 80-82* all that time, & fresh hot water every 8-9 hours was all it took to keep them safe & healthy.
    BTW, I put those ice chests on my couch & insulated around them with pillows & blankets, to keep the heat inside. It all helped...

Another method that works too is using the heat packs used in air shipping reptiles...(or chemical hand warmer packets, like hunters use), but this takes advance
    planning to have them on hand... Where you live, I hope you have some of these things on hand...?

During that ice storm my house got pretty cold (about 45* & I didn't even lose any food from my fridge & freezer: frozen food I put in another ice chest on my
    front porch (it was freezing or below outside), & all the cold food was fine in my garage which stayed about 40*. But sadly I know that many who had snakes in
    the wide area affected that year lost many to the cold & subsequent illnesses...I hope you & yours will be ok.
    I giggled a little imagining someone under a blanket with 15 snakes, lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TechnoCheese For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-11-2019),Toad37 (04-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoCheese View Post
    I giggled a little imagining someone under a blanket with 15 snakes, lmao

And you're a snake-lover...you should have seen the looks I got when I described what I did to those who don't fancy snakes! At least they weren't loose...

The "best part" of that was that I put my large BCI into a pillow case & since I didn't have a suitable plastic container for her & since she needed the most heat, I just
    kept her bagged on top of me, & yeah, under my down comforter. She kept periscoping from inside her pillow case, wondering 'what the heck?' She was heavy, & I
    didn't sleep much...but it wasn't fear of snakes but the awful noises of trees crashing outside from the weight of the ice...all over my neighborhood (full of huge trees)
    it sounded like a war zone all the next day & night. I hope I never see another "ice storm" for as long as I live!

As long as you're giggling: I once did a program ("show & tell") with a bunch of my snakes in a forest ranger's cabin for Earth Day; I had been warned that it might
    be chilly and they're weren't kidding! Well, I had brought some heat tapes with me but the tables only had room for all but one of my contained snakes, so that last
    snake (a 3' rosy boa in a small bag) went into my shirt, where the bag settled over my stomach, making me look pregnant...so I just walked around saying "yes, I'm
    with snake" to a chorus of laughs as I patted my snake-bulge. Sometimes you just have to make do, you know?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

TechnoCheese (04-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And you're a snake-lover...you should have seen the looks I got when I described what I did to those who don't fancy snakes! At least they weren't loose...

The "best part" of that was that I put my large BCI into a pillow case & since I didn't have a suitable plastic container for her & since she needed the most heat, I just
    kept her bagged on top of me, & yeah, under my down comforter. She kept periscoping from inside her pillow case, wondering 'what the heck?' She was heavy, & I
    didn't sleep much...but it wasn't fear of snakes but the awful noises of trees crashing outside from the weight of the ice...all over my neighborhood (full of huge trees)
    it sounded like a war zone all the next day & night. I hope I never see another "ice storm" for as long as I live!

As long as you're giggling: I once did a program ("show & tell") with a bunch of my snakes in a forest ranger's cabin for Earth Day; I had been warned that it might
    be chilly and they're weren't kidding! Well, I had brought some heat tapes with me but the tables only had room for all but one of my contained snakes, so that last
    snake (a 3' rosy boa in a small bag) went into my shirt, where the bag settled over my stomach, making me look pregnant...so I just walked around saying "yes, I'm
    with snake" to a chorus of laughs as I patted my snake-bulge. Sometimes you just have to make do, you know?
    Lol!

Thanks
    We can't all be "normal"...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

TechnoCheese (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I realize it's a bit late but you can put all five snakes into bags, put the bags into a bin, and put the bin under your covers in bed at night. The bin ensures that if your snake pees your sheets/blankets/mattress don't have to be washed, and if you have dogs or cats the bin will protect the snakes from getting smooshed if your furry pets like to sleep in the bed also.

Thanks
    Update we have had power back for 36 hours. Took each one out after they were up to temp for a couple hours and bathed them, did a deep clean of the rack and switched to clear bins so we can monitor for respitory infection.

They all appear to be in normal condition as if now but time will tell over the next week. I made them appointments at the vet already for the 22nd just in case.

Time will tell but I am hopeful we came through this ok. Already exploring a better battery back up situation. Have not lost power in 11 years until this storm.

Thanks for the advice!
    1.0 Yellow belly - Squelch
    1.0 Spider 100% het albino- Gru
    1.0 Orange Ghost - Nefario
    2.2 Normal - Ginger, Shelly, Gus, Pumpernickle
    0.1 Granite - Margo
    0.1 100% DH Snow (VPI)

2.0 Bearded dragons - Spike & Chef

4 Crested geckos

4.0 Dachshunds Winston, Hugh, Gilligan, and Cowboy.
    1.0 fostered Dachshunds currently Archie

29 Dachshunds adopted through our house to date.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive Dream View Post
    Update we have had power back for 36 hours. Took each one out after they were up to temp for a couple hours and bathed them, did a deep clean of the rack and switched to clear bins so we can monitor for respitory infection.

They all appear to be in normal condition as if now but time will tell over the next week. I made them appointments at the vet already for the 22nd just in case.

Time will tell but I am hopeful we came through this ok. Already exploring a better battery back up situation. Have not lost power in 11 years until this storm.

Thanks for the advice!
    Hopefully your snakes are all ok. I would look at a backup heat that can keep the ambient about 80*F in a small space like a bathroom, and stash the snakes in there while the power is out. If it's really cold that option will do double duty in helping prevent your pipes from freezing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast