Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

3 members and 3,161 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Many questions from a new BP owner

Hello.

I got recently (litteraly 5 days ago) a Ball Python (unknown Morph, from what I've seen he/she is just a normal). I've had a couple of problems like not having a thermostat (shipping mistake) for the first day and not having snug hides for the same period of time, but now I think he's set and good to go. The thing is, while I have the right setup (right temperature, humidity, two hides, water dish etc.) I've come to the conclusion that either my BP isn't shy at all (or something is wrong, because he's too friendly?).

Here are my questions, though.

1- For now I always found him in the hot hide. Never in the cold, I suppose this is normal, yes? The hot side is 94-95F (the probe is under less than an eight of an inch of paper towels). Slightly hotter than what is recommended, but my room is pretty cold, as I don't enjoy heat. I believe it's between 72 to 75°F at it's coldest (otside of the tub). Just want to make sure he's not suffering or anything. Even if I think he's ok, as he ate fine yesterday.

2- I have his enclosure in my room, and one of the reasons I got a BP in the first place is because I'm always up past 3am, and while I did have parrots, they are usually active during the day and not the night. Thing is, I always keep a desk lamp on, and while during the day daylight actually comes in, during the night do I have to cover the enclosure with something so the BP can get his dark fix? Or as long as it isn't shining 300w lamps on his hide everything is fine? At the moment I have a barrier between the enclosure and the lamp. It isn't pitch dark, but I'm sure the snake can see some light. Not much, but enough. Think baby lights.

3- When I picked him up (actually after, 10 minutes after) i noticed that he had a white dull scale on his head. On his head, and also on like 1inch of his body. I thought it was stuck shed from his last, and thought nothing of it (I had read that it's kinda normal, and unless the shed is stuck on major parts of the body it would come away on the next shed if proper humidity conditions are met). But now I think it's expanding, there are multiple single scales that are whiteish, flakey kinda. My first thought was that he was shedding, is he? He didn't went blue though. I handle him every day 15 minutes or so to make sure he isn't agressive, and didn't notice a thing. Should I be worried? From first search it isn't scale rot.

Thank you for taking the time for reading this, sorry if they are silly questions, just a concerned new snake owner that wants to make sure the new Snake feels comfortable at home ^^ Sorry for the grammar, I don't speak english as a native language.

Thanks
    Well, 94+ is a bit high on the hot side. BPs typically like a hot spot at 90. I say this, but mine seems to prefer the spaces that are about 85. The hot spot is important for digestion though. 72 is also too cold, you really don't want anything below 75. Also, are these surface temps or ambient air temps? It makes a big difference. The numbers I gave above are surface temp numbers. The ambient air temp should be about 85 throughout the whole enclosure.

My enclosure is in a breakfast area attached to my kitchen, and there is always a small light on in the adjacent laundry room, but I close the door most of the way, and creates a general darkness in the area where the tank is. This seems to suffice, and by my logic, there would be moonlight in wild, so I am thinking it's fine for there to be a small amount of ambient light. Just not direct, like you mentioned. Although I did use a red heat lamp 24/7 for a while without issues. I'm sure someone more experienced can get more in-depth on this one.

As far as that last one, I think pictures would help. I have no idea what is going on there, honestly, but someone here does, and it will help them tremendously to be able to see what is going on.

Welcome! You have come to the right place!
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hello, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping!!

1) 94 is too hot. 88-89 is ideal. Also, the probe goes OUTSIDE the enclosure sandwiched between the UTH and the glass. When inside it can and will be moved, laid on, peed on, etc...which can all cause inaccurate readings and potential heat spikes, which can severely burn a snake or even be fatal.

2) it sounds like that light is fine. It's probably not too different from natural moonlight.

3) without seeing the scales, it's hard to say.
    One thing I will say is that I strongly advise new keepers to hold off on handling new snakes until they've eaten three consecutive meals without refusal. Handling can equal stress, stress = refusals. The more important thing now is letting the snake settle in. You'll have 25+ years to handle your snake, let it get settled in And eating, that should be top priority.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019),Kira (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thank you for your answers. I lowered the temperature and moved the probe on the outside of the container. I took photos of my snake today, and will try to keep handling to a minimum after that.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...507&height=675

The first one is the weird scales on her head, the second one is the patch that I noticed after buying him, and the third one is a bit of scales that I noticed just 2 days ago.

My unexperienced diagnosis is that the humidity in the box is too low and his scales are drying. If that's the case, I'll put in a humidity box and spray the substrate once a day with a water mister? sprayer? That.
    Last edited by Dragona7Power; 04-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragona7Power For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Sorry for double post. I wanted to edit the post but it won't make me?

I ordered an Igrometer already, I know it is needed, it just didn't arrive yet. I thought it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit for the shipping, but I guess I was wrong :V