Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,026

1 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Heat Tape: Belly Heat vs. Back Heat

this is mostly for a snake rack discussion. do u prefer a rack w/ belly heat or back heat? i have only belly heat but what are the advantages of back heat?

i like that belly heat provides the most surface area for direct contact w/ a BP or snake. they could just plop down on the tub over the heat tape. i feel like there's alotta lost heat w/ back heat. a snake would have to get into a funny position to get similar contact w/ back heat. they're used to getting into all kinds of positions but why do it when it's not necessary?

some pro's for back heat that i've heard from rack builders and at shows include:
    1. it's easier to build. just cover the back wall w/ heat tape instead of making extra cuts and looping it through all the levels of a rack.
    2. your snake won't get burned. :/ ok that's kinda ridiculous tho b/c your heat source should always be regulated anyway.

Edit: do u own a back heat rack or similar enclosure? what's been your experience?
    Last edited by Ax01; 04-11-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Heat Tape: Belly Heat vs. Back Heat

okay short summary as i own both:

back heat is super easy to set up (for a custom build) and regulate. im not going to post my own temps, etc. bc my open-side (custom fit with insulation for winter) wood rack + heat tape is a craigslist custom build and old. however, not needing to super-consistantly monitor belly temps is nice since i live in the midwest with wild weather. my back heat has been less stressful IMO.

i also own a closed melamine rack + 3" belly heat and the melamine held heat SUPER well, but i always worried about belly heat temps during a time of temp flux here. midwest weather be crazy y'all.

all in all: you just have to consider your own care and life style.

if you live in an environment without tight control, then belly heat might not be for you as the danger is exponentially raised. back heat is not wholly sufficient heat, but that could still suit your needs.

do you research, ask questions, and discover your own solutions.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-12-2019),distaff (04-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't hear much about this guy on here and I don't know if you or the majority on here like what he say's or don't agree with him. I find him interesting and sincere and he does have a lot of experience and say's he's learned a lot through mistakes and that is Brian Grundy. He has You Tube video's (one in particular) about husbandry. He say's belly heat in racks is good and back heat is bad. Anyway that is what he say's. I don't agree with everything he say's necessarily.

But if I had a rack (and I'm glad I don't) and was talking about heat tape. I think I would stick to putting it on the bottom for belly heat. Or find another method besides heat tape for heating from above (non-belly) I don't think a heat tape on the back wall would do them much good for heat or anything. I don't know much about rhp's to say anything about that idea. If you worry about burns you might want to go with ultra-therm heat pads instead. If the thermostat fails even they say it won't burn the snake. Till you hopefully soon catch it, unhook it, and get a new thermostat.

Glad you asked the question. I will find it interesting what those with racks and experience will say.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-15-2019)

Thanks

I have a hatchling rack with back heat. Like mentioned, i have to run it a little warmer if you don't have a warm enough room temp. I have a home made rack with belly heat and it is easier to heat and set the temps.
    However once dialed in, backheat is just as good. My snakes are growing like weeds and eat fantastically.

I talked to a breeder about it once and they said back heat is great for younger snakes but better for adults to have belly heat. i don't know the answer, but its interesting to study and try different things.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roux For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-15-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I've mainly used back heat for the past 20+ years. I do have a baby rack and one adult boa stack with belly heat. Both work. Snakes eat, digest, breed with both. Back heat works best when the ambient temps are kept ideal.
    For the Horde!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-15-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Brian Grundy is a fairly experienced guy. I have talked him on a couple of occasions. He can come up with some pretty interesting solutions to problems. You are not going to hear about him much on here because he got chased away for TOS violations. It is a shame. The whole thing seems to have been a misunderstanding, at least I hope it was. As far as heat goes, it is what works for you. I heat a room instead of individual tubs and my temps are generally lower than what is recommended.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Before i switched to ambient only heating, I switched all my racks to back heat. Having a heat source not covered by substrate was my reason, i used closed racks and it heated them all just fine. I found it safer for the animals, temps they exposed to are consistent not being under substrate and they aren't laying directly on the heat source.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    I don't hear much about this guy on here and I don't know if you or the majority on here like what he say's or don't agree with him. I find him interesting and sincere and he does have a lot of experience and say's he's learned a lot through mistakes and that is Brian Grundy. He has You Tube video's (one in particular) about husbandry. He say's belly heat in racks is good and back heat is bad. Anyway that is what he say's. I don't agree with everything he say's necessarily.

But if I had a rack (and I'm glad I don't) and was talking about heat tape. I think I would stick to putting it on the bottom for belly heat. Or find another method besides heat tape for heating from above (non-belly) I don't think a heat tape on the back wall would do them much good for heat or anything. I don't know much about rhp's to say anything about that idea. If you worry about burns you might want to go with ultra-therm heat pads instead. If the thermostat fails even they say it won't burn the snake. Till you hopefully soon catch it, unhook it, and get a new thermostat.

Glad you asked the question. I will find it interesting what those with racks and experience will say.
    Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Brian Grundy is a fairly experienced guy. I have talked him on a couple of occasions. He can come up with some pretty interesting solutions to problems. You are not going to hear about him much on here because he got chased away for TOS violations. It is a shame. The whole thing seems to have been a misunderstanding, at least I hope it was. As far as heat goes, it is what works for you. I heat a room instead of individual tubs and my temps are generally lower than what is recommended.
    i like Brian Gundy aka Goldblush Daddy. he's like your kooky grampa. i wish he was around still but i remember the spat he had w/ PitOnTheProwl. Gundy's animals and results speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Before i switched to ambient only heating, I switched all my racks to back heat. Having a heat source not covered by substrate was my reason, i used closed racks and it heated them all just fine. I found it safer for the animals, temps they exposed to are consistent not being under substrate and they aren't laying directly on the heat source.
    i still desire some temp gradient in racks. whether the snake wants to move from back to front, top or underneath substrate where is is warmer or cooler.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292