Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,947

1 members and 2,946 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Nothing has changed... spiders have been the same since they came out in the 90s, the only thing that has changed is the creation of social media and an insatiable thirst for drama. Serious breeders won't care about this and most keepers who know better won't either. The only ones to make a big deal out of are the YouTube sheeple who feel it's the trendy thing to do.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

E-squirrel (04-12-2019),JodanOrNoDan (04-23-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    it's pretty likely that soon we'll be seeing spiders band from reptile expos in the US but I'm not an expert so I'm wondering what you guys think.
    And who would decide that or push that? Animal activists with some more fake science that have tried to ban reptile ownership in general for years?

Not gonna happen the reptile industries have been fighting those people for YEARS and they have not won, they could not care less about banning 1 mutation of 1 species it's all or nothing for them so I pretty sure that Spiders are safe.

Or would show promoters try to ban them? Well good luck with that any that, they would loose vendors and visitors and someone would come along and do a show where spiders are allowed because there is competition and choices in shows in the US unlike in the UK where there are a limited amount of shows.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

E-squirrel (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Regarding spiders

Quote Originally Posted by E-squirrel View Post
    Curious about what people are thinking or doing given the current climate around spiders. Imo stigma towards them is exaggerated to the nth degree and based on few cases of bad wobble which is probably due to bad husbandry. I'm not so interested in the debate given that I have and have seen healthy spiders living fine lives. So my question is: how do you see the market value of spiders being affected in the next few years and what do you think breeders are going to do about it?
    I think given the laws that have been put in place in the UK and the tendency for the rest of the world to follow with Western ideas and tendencies it's pretty likely that soon we'll be seeing spiders band from reptile expos in the US but I'm not an expert so I'm wondering what you guys think.
    There are no laws - just one reptile/amphibian/animal group ( the IHS ) who decided they didn't want to have any sold at their own expos. You can still buy/trade/sell them at all the other reptile expos. I disagree with their chosen stance even though I do not own any spiders or spider combos.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

A few cases due to bad husbandry? Ouch. I think the bad cases are due more to breeders who care more about money than animals. In my experience the higher end better quality breeders always have spiders with less wobble than your neighborhood breeder. My spider is a rescue. Her wobble isn’t terrible but her balance is absolutely horrific. Her husbandry is fine, by the way. I think there’s absolutely more than a few bad cases of wobble and blaming husbandry doesn’t make much sense. I’m sure poor husbandry could agitate a wobble but the wobble has to be there to begin with.

Also, there are no laws banning spiders. IHS banned the sale of spiders at their shows. That’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphera View Post
    A few cases due to bad husbandry? Ouch. I think the bad cases are due more to breeders who care more about money than animals. In my experience the higher end better quality breeders always have spiders with less wobble than your neighborhood breeder. My spider is a rescue. Her wobble isn’t terrible but her balance is absolutely horrific. Her husbandry is fine, by the way. I think there’s absolutely more than a few bad cases of wobble and blaming husbandry doesn’t make much sense. I’m sure poor husbandry could agitate a wobble but the wobble has to be there to begin with.

Also, there are no laws banning spiders. IHS banned the sale of spiders at their shows. That’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honestly, I think there is a strong case for husbandry being a large contributing factor to the severity of the wobble, particularly husbandry in a young, developing snake. Your husbandry for your rescue may be spot on, but there is a reason it needed to be rescued in the first place. I don't like anecdotal evidence as an argument, but many of the severe wobbles I see shown on the channels of those pushing the ban are rescues. Who knows what conditions they were kept in as they were growing and developing. It's simply common sense that the conditions under which a growing and developing animal are kept have an impact on the outcome of that growth and development, particularly in the case of one with this kind of neurological condition. Environment, particularly that one you grew up in, can absolutely effect the expression of such a condition. We know that to be true in humans.

I do think that there is a possibility that breeding has something to do with it, but most of the knowledgeable breeders who have been breeding spiders for a long time say that it is definitely hard to predict severity of wobble, a parent with an almost nonexistent wobble will produce offspring with a severe one and ivce versa. I think the difference is that responsible breeders will not offer an animal with a wobble that severe for sale.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

TLChris (04-23-2019),tttaylorrr (04-23-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    The reality of the wobble is if it is a spider it wobbles. It is most apparent when the animal is under stress. The more excited or agitated an animal gets, the more it wobbles. I can get any spider to display a bad wobble and get it to stop. Comfortable animals rarely display anything noticeable other than to people who know what to look for.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks

Over here in the UK the spider thing has been blown waaaaay out of proportion! IHS have banned from being sold at shows, you get attacked for showing off a spider on reddit, it's just stupid.

I have a 9 year old female spider, who is gorgeous, weighs about 2.4kg and slams food like a freight train. She's loving life and is a proven breeder.

I also have a calibee cb18 male called Regulus, he was sold to me as having a very slight wobble but again, slams food like a freight train, is very healthy and is very happy. I can't wait to pair him with my Fire Yellowbelly female when they are both ready.

I did my research on the gene before buying them, Ive watched videos, asked questions to breeders and even went to the originator of the gene for research too.

In the UK, people are very quick to attack those that keep the spider gene without considering other morphs that can have more serious issues, i.e Super Black Pastel, Champagne etc.

I love and adore my snakes, I am a firm believer in giving your animals the best possible care you can and I like to think I am doing that with mine.

I love the Spider gene and will defend it to the hilt and I cant wait to start the breeding projects next year or the year after (depending on when they're ready)
    Last edited by Hodor85; 05-10-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I have noticed a drop in prices in BPs with the spider genes here as of late.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12