Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

0 members and 2,936 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help with aggressive snake please!!

Thank you for the reminder! They are moving to the next room as we speak....thank god for racks on wheels 😉

More genes than I know what to do with 🤯

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NomaReptiles For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NomaReptiles View Post
    Thank you for the reminder! They are moving to the next room as we speak....thank god for racks on wheels 😉
    At this point, I would play it safe and act as if all of your snakes are in quarantine. Even just a few minutes in the room with your KSBs could have been enough for mites to travel to the new enclosures.

And since you've got 8 snakes coming from different places they should all be quarantined separately. All in different rooms.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-11-2019),Bogertophis (04-11-2019),Eye4Pythons (04-12-2019),tttaylorrr (04-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    At this point, I would play it safe and act as if all of your snakes are in quarantine. Even just a few minutes in the room with your KSBs could have been enough for mites to travel to the new enclosures.

And since you've got 8 snakes coming from different places they should all be quarantined separately. All in different rooms.

I will move the 3rd rack to my bedroom then. It’s 4 snakes from one breeder and 4 snakes from another breeder I guess I wasn’t expecting Bob Clark and J.Kobylka to have any health issues with their snakes so i wasn’t worried about quarentining the snakes.

Good reminder that that that is a necessary step no matter where they come from

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NomaReptiles For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-11-2019),Bogertophis (04-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

I will move the 3rd rack to my bedroom then. It’s 4 snakes from one breeder and 4 snakes from another breeder I guess I wasn’t expecting Bob Clark and J.Kobylka to have any health issues with their snakes so i wasn’t worried about quarentining the snakes.

Good reminder that that that is a necessary step no matter where they come from
    Those are definitely two of the top names in the game. I would say you're most likely fine. But I'd hate to see you learn the hard way. Always better safe than sorry, especially when our animals rely solely on us to survive.

Best of luck! I'm sure all will be fine.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-11-2019),Bogertophis (04-11-2019),Eye4Pythons (04-12-2019),NomaReptiles (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Bites from harmless snakes like ball pythons don't really do any damage...their teeth are tiny & cause tiny pin-pricks that may bleed a little...the worst thing to do
    is jerk your hand away, as their translucent teeth can break off & stay embedded as splinters, but even that's not common (though most ppl can't help pulling their
    hands away) and almost any other pet you can name can do you FAR more harm than a pet snake. I've had some snake bites over many years (hatchlings are the
    most frequent for self defense...they're still learning & everything is a threat to them) but have never even had a snake bite become infected, & I typically pay no
    attention to them (ie. no antiseptic ointment or bandaids used, lol).
    Remember how huge & scary we are to snakes...they really do NOT want to bite us. Be patient & quarantine...the last thing you need is mites or other things going on.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-11-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-11-2019),distaff (04-11-2019),NomaReptiles (04-11-2019)

Thanks

Red face Re: Help with aggressive snake please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Bites from harmless snakes like ball pythons don't really do any damage...their teeth are tiny & cause tiny pin-pricks that may bleed a little...the worst thing to do
    is jerk your hand away, as their translucent teeth can break off & stay embedded as splinters, but even that's not common (though most ppl can't help pulling their
    hands away) and almost any other pet you can name can do you FAR more harm than a pet snake. I've had some snake bites over many years (hatchlings are the
    most frequent for self defense...they're still learning & everything is a threat to them) but have never even had a snake bite become infected, & I typically pay no
    attention to them (ie. no antiseptic ointment or bandaids used, lol).
    Remember how huge & scary we are to snakes...they really do NOT want to bite us. Be patient & quarantine...the last thing you need is mites or other things going on.
    Thank you for this post! It really makes me feel better after what happened this morning. Going from having a couple of amazing “pet” ball pythons in the past who were both nothing but super gentle to delving into the breeding hobby was a huge jump for me! I have not dealt with so many different snakes at once in the past and the fact that I never got bitten just made this mornings experience really scary.

With time I know they will get better and I’ll get better at it as well

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Thank you for this post! It really makes me feel better after what happened this morning. Going from having a couple of amazing “pet” ball pythons in the past who were both nothing but super gentle to delving into the breeding hobby was a huge jump for me! I have not dealt with so many different snakes at once in the past and the fact that I never got bitten just made this mornings experience really scary.

With time I know they will get better and I’ll get better at it as well
    It's startling to get hissed & lunged at by a snake, but it just means they're having an even WORSE day than you are... We're GIANTS & they are terrified.

Remember that the only thing that picks up a snake in the wild is a predator that's about to EAT them...when you internalize this & do everything you can to show them
    they have nothing to fear from you, you'll forget about being nervous & convey to them they're safe with you. Empathy works both ways.

Also: snakes don't usually recognize us visually...so use touch & your scent to help them identify you (like before you pick them up). When you walk past a caged snake
    & it reacts (tries to strike at you), don't take it personally...you are just an unknown threatening blur to them, until they get your scent & touch to recognize you by. The
    more you communicate with a snake, the calmer you'll both be. Snakes are a lot like us...afraid of the unknown.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-11-2019 at 04:13 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (04-11-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I realize YT unboxing videos are all about the expectant keeper reaching into the pillowcase, and pulling out a calm snake. The videos that went wrong with that probably don't get posted. Even Emily has admitted she has *staged* unboxings.

Me, I don't like to set the poor things up for failure; I open the sack in the enclosure, and let the animal slither out on it's own time. Enclosure gets latched, and I go away. I'll say "Hello," in a day or two. No need to rush things.

These guys aren't aggressive. That is just the wrong term to use. Tame happens more on their time than ours.
    Last edited by distaff; 04-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-11-2019),NomaReptiles (04-11-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    IMHO, babies SHOULD be nippy. You want a healthy lively animal. My baby boa hated me for the first three weeks. Nothing but hissing and striking. What else did he even know??? He arrived in November. I didn't push it. I can now pick him up out of the enclosure with my bare hands, no issues, and no huffy displays; Zen.

It happens....give it some time.

They live with us, and have no choice about it. We are the ones who have to be patient and understanding.
    Last edited by distaff; 04-11-2019 at 06:43 PM.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-11-2019),Bodie (04-11-2019),Bogertophis (04-11-2019),Eye4Pythons (04-12-2019),jmcrook (04-11-2019),NomaReptiles (04-11-2019)

Thanks

Wink Re: Help with aggressive snake please!!

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I realize YT unboxing videos are all about the expectant keeper reaching into the pillowcase, and pulling out a calm snake. The videos that went wrong with that probably don't get posted. Even Emily has admitted she has *staged* unboxings.

Me, I don't like to set the poor things up for failure; I open the sack in the enclosure, and let the animal slither out on it's own time. Enclosure gets latched, and I go away. I'll say "Hello," in a day or two. No need to rush things.

These guys aren't aggressive. That is just the wrong term to use. Tame happens more on their time than ours.
    Lolololol yes absolutely! All those unboxing videos are clearly not what they appear to be lol

In all honesty though after thinking some more this afternoon I know that my problem was the disappointment I had when I opened the boxes. All of my other snakes were also shipped and none of them were this defensive! I was able to hold them and inspect them and show them to my family and spend some time with the snakes before putting them in their tubs. No waiting until they de-stress....I could handle them daily and they were all very calm and mellow.

The He difference is that this time I got my snakes from big breeders and I didn’t account for this. I know large breeders don’t spend much time with their snakes besides cleaning and feeding so they are not used to people. My other snakes came from very small breeders that handled them daily and knew all of their temperaments. When this snakes arrived they weren’t afraid of me and not nearly as stressed out as my new snakes are.

And no only 2 of the snakes I got today are juveniles/babies....the Mojave Pied is freaking huge at 1 1/2 years old so imagine my joy opening the box and gently grabbing him from the bag (like I did with all my past snakes) only to be lunged and nipped at multiple times. It scared the :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: out of me Haha

So yes they will eventually be tamed and yes I will get better at handling them and probably get to celebrate my first bite ever lol

It just sucks because tomorrow I’m getting more snakes and now I don’t be want to open the boxes lol

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NomaReptiles For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-11-2019),Bogertophis (04-11-2019)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast