Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,147

3 members and 1,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Handling tips for new owner

Hi
    I am new to the forum and to BP. We brought ours home a week ago and he has settled into his new home. He has eaten. We are in the UK so no live feeding
    When we were at the breeders he was happy to be handled but now in his new home less so
    If we go near he curls up behind his head and looks ready to strike
    I'm happy to give him space but obviously want him to be happy to be handled
    Any tips would be gratefully recieved

Thanks
    Others are going to disagree here, but that's the great thing about this place; you get lot's of different opinions.

I give my new snakes a week to settle, then the first feed. Two days after the first feed, I begin introducing myself with short handling sessions, like 5 min or so every other day unless it is a feed day. I don't handle BPs on feed days.

As they get used to the whole routine I lengthen the handling sessions, always watching for the snakes reaction. If they seem in the least stressed, they go back to their enclosure.

I now have a 7 month old BEL that can be out for a good half hour or so. We watch TV with her. I also have a 1.5 year old male who gets pissy after 10 min. They are all different.

As for the strike pose, here's a video that you can watch. I know it's about boas, but he covers BPs as well, and its the same method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlTqqsDadQg
    \m/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping!!

I'm from the school that new snakes should be allowed to settle in and handling should wait until the snake has eaten three consecutive meals without refusal... especially for now keepers. Experienced keepers are better equipped to identify stress.

At this point, I would suggest just watching. Try to watch your BP and learn mannerisms, body language etc...

Once ypur snake has eaten three consecutive meals without refusal, start handling a few times per week. Keep sessions short, 5-10 minutes. This will allow both you and the snake to acclimate to one another gradually. As you and your new pet grow more comfortable with each other gradually increase the length of handling sessions a little at a time.

Avoid handling on feed days, for 48 hours after feeding and while the snake is in shed.

As for handling, always wash ypur hands prior to handling. Also, it's important to understand that predators attack from above. So, don't come in like a predator. Move slowly and try to come in from the side and scoop the snake from below.
    Let the snake dictate it's movements, don't restrict the snake. But also make sure the snake is well supported and not fearful of falling. Let the snake explore your hands and arms, familiarizing himself with you.

When it's time to put the snake back in the enclosure set the snake down gently and mind a let the snake crawl off of you.

Hope this helps!

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019),gunkle (04-11-2019),JRLongton (04-11-2019),MissterDog (04-11-2019),SnakeBaby (05-21-2019)