Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,938

0 members and 2,938 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: RHP Sizing for T8

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Exactly the same design pictured. Sucks.

I'm looking for something better.
    Thanks for the heads up. I really don't want anything that could cover one of my outlets.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Pro-Products uses exactly the same design pictured. Sucks.

I'm looking for something better.
    OK, I just called Reptile Basics because I was curious as to why two of mine have the white clip on plug and one of them has a standard. It's to do with the updates they made to their panel and the design. On the newer heat panels the cord is NOT fused directly into the panel. It's a plug you can detach and reattach to the panel itself. So the newer panels have a normal plug. The old style required a clip on plug to be able to route the cords out since they were fused directly into the panel.

Does that make sense? I'm horrible with terminology, so apologies about that. But basically any new style Reptile Basics heat panel with have a normal plug, so there will be no problems with multiple outlet Herpstats.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019),JRLongton (04-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    OK, I just called Reptile Basics because I was curious as to why two of mine have the white clip on plug and one of them has a standard. It's to do with the updates they made to their panel and the design. On the newer heat panels the cord is NOT fused directly into the panel. It's a plug you can detach and reattach to the panel itself. So the newer panels have a normal plug. The old style required a clip on plug to be able to route the cords out since they were fused directly into the panel.

Does that make sense? I'm horrible with terminology, so apologies about that. But basically any new style Reptile Basics heat panel with have a normal plug, so there will be no problems with multiple outlet Herpstats.
    Yep, makes perfect sense. Thank you, seriously. That is very helpful. I think I will go ahead with the 80w RBI panel.
    - Jason

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

You can also just use really short extension cords plugged into your herpstat for the clip style plugs so you don’t block any outlets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019),JRLongton (04-11-2019),WhompingWillow (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Which actually leads to another question, where do you mount the probe with an RHP?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    You can also just use really short extension cords plugged into your herpstat for the clip style plugs so you don’t block any outlets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good call, I didn't even stop to consider that.
    - Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Which actually leads to another question, where do you mount the probe with an RHP?
    I dangle mine on the cool side and set the T-stat to the required low temp. With the appropriate sized RHP, mounted in the right place, it works like a charm.
    \m/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Different people do different things. Personally I have a small hole drilled on the same side as the heat panel towards the bottom of the cage, maybe 3-4 inches off the floor. The probe goes through that, sticking out about 2 inches) and I set my thermostat accordingly. Some people dangle their cord down the wall so it's close to the floor.

With the probe towards the bottom of the cage your thermostat will likely need to be set for LOWER than the desired hot spot. (ie, in my living room with ambient temps of 70 degrees, my Herpstat is set to approximately 81.5 degrees to reach a hot spot of 88-90).

Other put the probe very close to the heat panel (this is actually what Reptile Basics recommends). With this method you will likely need to set the thermostat HIGHER than your desired floor temp, or very close to it, as the probe will heat up faster than the floor of the cage.

Edited to say that all of this is if you are putting the probe on the hot side, not the cool side.
    Last edited by WhompingWillow; 04-11-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    those plugs are super easy to change. All you have to do is cut off the old plug, strip the wires and reattach to the new one by wrapping it around a screw inside and tightening down. You just have to make sure the hot wire goes to the hot prong, but there are several youtube videos showing which wire to put where. I just did a couple plugs like this for my new enclosure. I didn't want to cut holes big enough to feed plugs through so I cut them off, fed the wires, and put a new one one.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I recently upgraded all 6 of my cages to Pro Products RHP's and absolutely love them. I really like their quality and they keep my cages spot on with the temps I set.

I use the 80Watt for my T8's.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    those plugs are super easy to change. All you have to do is cut off the old plug, strip the wires and reattach to the new one by wrapping it around a screw inside and tightening down. You just have to make sure the hot wire goes to the hot prong, but there are several youtube videos showing which wire to put where. I just did a couple plugs like this for my new enclosure. I didn't want to cut holes big enough to feed plugs through so I cut them off, fed the wires, and put a new one one.
    You can do like he said with the screw terminals or use other types. If you want a less bulky plug then you can get one that's molded into the cord and just crimp/ splice the wires. I do that all the time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast