Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

1 members and 2,857 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: RHP Sizing for T8

Wall Mount Surge Protector.

Cheap, will double or triple your outlets, and is probably overall better than just plugging into the wall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    Wall Mount Surge Protector.

Cheap, will double or triple your outlets, and is probably overall better than just plugging into the wall.

I plan on plugging it directly into the thermostat, to ensure that it is properly regulated.

Thank you to everyone for all of the useful suggestions and info. I ended up going with the RB 4x2x1 enclosure and the RB 80W RHP. Now to wait patiently by the mailbox for a month or so...
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Your gonna love that RB 4x2x1. I have one of those and like it better than my AP T8s in every aspect. Plus you're not going to need to wait for months for it to arrive!
    \m/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Your gonna love that RB 4x2x1. I have one of those and like it better than my AP T8s in every aspect. Plus you're not going to need to wait for months for it to arrive!
    Yep, looking forward to that. I'm about fed up with this Exo Terra already, and I remembered you telling me that the RB enclosures were just as good if not better than the APs, so I am willing to spend the few extra bucks to get it in 4 weeks instead of 4 months.
    Last edited by fadingdaylight; 04-11-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    - Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Yep, looking forward to that. I'm about fed up with this Exo Terra already, and I remembered you telling me that the RB enclosures were just as good if not better than the APs, so I am willing to spend the few extra bucks to get it in 4 weeks instead of 4 months.
    After shipping it works out to be a small amount more. AP's prices are less shipping, which usually ran me $50. Plus you'd want door locks, add $20. Consider all that and the RB is only like $20 more or so.

Let me know what you think. I feel partly responsible since I talked them up a bit, but I'm sure you'll be happy.
    \m/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    After shipping it works out to be a small amount more. AP's prices are less shipping, which usually ran me $50. Plus you'd want door locks, add $20. Consider all that and the RB is only like $20 more or so.

Let me know what you think. I feel partly responsible since I talked them up a bit, but I'm sure you'll be happy.
    Yeah, the cost difference was slight, plus I threw in the LED lighting. And there's the stacking disks, which I hope to be able to put to use in the next year or so...

I will definitely keep you posted, but I'm pretty certain it is going to be a major improvement over what I have now.
    Last edited by fadingdaylight; 04-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    - Jason

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (04-11-2019)

Thanks

I think you will be happy with the new enclosure and heat panel!

For those of you discussing the plug style of the pro products panels, I also did not like the plugs they are shipped with. It's literally the only thing I wasn't satisfied with when I purchased my panels. Apparently they have to ship with those because of something to do with their UL listing (has to be a plug that is super simple to install I guess). For about $3 each I bought and installed heavy duty plugs that don't take up the space next to them.

For those who say they don't know electrical, that's alright! You don't need to know for this operation. You just need to follow the incredibly easy instructions and have a set of basic wire strippers and a flathead screw driver. You just strip 1/2" of the wire insulation off, put it in the terminal (making sure hot vs. neutral are on the right terminals) and screw it down. It was easier than brushing my teeth!

But that's just what I did, and I really like the heavy duty plugs better. They feel more secure in my herpstat anyway. Overall, as I've said in other posts, I am super satisfied with pro products heat panels. I wouldn't use anything else at this point.
    Last edited by -ryan-; 04-17-2019 at 07:21 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -ryan- For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-17-2019),fadingdaylight (04-17-2019),JRLongton (04-17-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I will say this. I have tried 3 of the Top brands of PVC enclosures and they varied drastically as far as how a RHP heated them. AP was the best holding heat, their 1/2” PVC is EXCELLENT for insulating. The other was Boaphile. For a very expensive enclosure, my Panel ran 50% more under the same temps and same conditions as when in the AP. Measuring the PVC on the boaphile was hard, looked like 1/8th inch and its flimsy as a sheet of that cheap shower enclosure crap at lowes. Also is brittle without flex and i cracked a corner easily.
    The other one I tried was Vision. This is much sturdier that Boaphile, as a matter of fact no comparison. It also held heat more like my AP. Measuring the thickness it was a bit less than the AP, but not brittle like the Boaphile I cracked.
    The RHP still ran about 20% more than when in the AP.
    The reason I mention all this is the Watt of the RHP has 1/2 to do with it, but the other 1/2 depends on the enclosure quality. The PVC and items inside is what absorbs heat and in return gives you your ambient temp, without a good thick PVC enclosure, reaching that can be hard no matter how many watts your RHP is if your loosing it like a Siv. Hope this helps.
    Ohh and In my T-12’s I run 150 watts. They are double the size of a T-8. Because we keep our home cool all year around, we need a higher watt Rhp even for a 4’ enclosure... if your home is 70 plus degrees 24/7 a smaller RHP like 80 watts will do for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-18-2019),JRLongton (04-18-2019),pretends2bnormal (04-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    The other was Boaphile. For a very expensive enclosure, my Panel ran 50% more under the same temps and same conditions as when in the AP. Measuring the PVC on the boaphile was hard, looked like 1/8th inch and its flimsy as a sheet of that cheap shower enclosure crap at lowes. Also is brittle without flex and i cracked a corner easily.
    I've heard very little good about Boaphile. There are people who's opinions I respect that use and like them. That said, for the price they charge, I wouldn't bother. There are so many other options and it looks like Boaphile has had a lot of issues in the past, and sometimes continues to.
    \m/

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-20-2019),fadingdaylight (04-18-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123