Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,798

2 members and 3,796 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Please help for my new snake feeding

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. Just bought my third ball python. A beautiful Albino Lavender. He's one and a half year old. It's my first one bought directly from a breeder. She told me that the snake was eating live and f/t but the last month he was eating only live because it was faster when you have a lot of snake. First day she said to give him a live pup rat. Even in his new house cause she skipped a week to be sure that he will be hungry. Ten second after he ate the rat. Now we are one week later. I know that he can eat a bigger rat. But the question is ... is it better to give him a live prey cause it will be bigger ? Or because it's a new one week house ? Or I try the bigger f/t ? I got some f/t pup too but I think it's to small for him.

Thanks for the help

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lVlaxxx For This Useful Post:

Samurai (04-11-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Please help for my new snake feeding

You should be feeding based on your snakes weight.

Also, welcome to the forum. Post some pics of your new little guy when you get a chance!
    Last edited by Jmarshall; 04-11-2019 at 12:55 AM.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks

I was told my first one ate f/t or live. Was giving it f/t cuz easier to store and less stinky smell. And she ate every time. Then came the other 2. Picky as heck. Will not even go around a f/t. Tried weekly for 6-7 times. They just run from it. It's almost like they could tell it was frozen, or something. l Finally just gave up, and feed them all live now. And they all ate every time. I guess they just prefer fresh over frozen.
    Last edited by Samurai; 04-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    0.1 Lemon Blast (CV Exotics)
    1.0 Pastel Blade Clown (E-Squared Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Normal 66% het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Spider 66% het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Enchi (Local)
    1.0 Mojave Spider (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Mojave Spider (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pewter 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% het Ghost (Peterson Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel Clown (ML Exotics)
    0.1 Spinner 100% het G-Stripe (REK Reptiles)
    1.0 Spider 66% het Clown 50% het Albino (HB Reptiles)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    I was told my first one ate f/t or live. Was giving it f/t cuz easier to store and less stinky smell. And she ate every time. Then came the other 2. Picky as heck. Will not even go around a f/t. Tried weekly for 6-7 times. They just run from it. It's almost like they could tell it was frozen, or something. l Finally just gave up, and feed them all live now. And they all ate every time. I guess they just prefer fresh over frozen.
    Personally, I'd have worked a little harder to persuade the "other 2" to take f/t, because as they grow larger & need larger prey, your pets run the risk of serious injuries & even death when they get chewed by the rats they're trying to kill. Wouldn't want to look forward to that, personally -scars may be natural on wild snakes, who have to kill their own food to survive, but it's best avoided on our beautiful pets for the sake not only of their beauty but their health. Rats CAN kill snakes, or injure them enough to make they wish they were dead: ask any exotic animal vet who has treated snakes for some time...they see eye losses, mouth injuries that prevent the snake from eating, and snakes chewed to the bone from live rats. Not all pets survive these injuries: either directly or because euthanasia is the best option, or they later die from the infections.Vet bills can be hard on your budget, & making time for medical care isn't the most fun either.

When snakes like BPs are raised on live feeders, they seem to get pretty good at making kills, but sooner or later, all it takes is a little slip up...rats are intelligent animals (they actually make great pets too) & they object to being dinner. They have serious teeth that can chew thru bricks & pipes...you really don't want them chewing through your pet, do you?

Many members here find a hairdryer (blow dryer) to be very helpful in warming the head of the f/t rodents so their BPs respond to them as if alive. I hope you'll consider this?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lVlaxxx View Post
    Hi all. I'm new to the forum....the last month he was eating only live because it was faster when you have a lot of snake...
    I hope you'll consider my response to samurai's post and get your snakes eating f/t rodents. It only seems faster to feed live until you have to take one to
    the vet and then do home care for it to heal from injuries. It's really just a matter of time. Vet bills can really cut into your budget too.

(Just don't say no one told you...)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-11-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

Thanks all. And yes I want the feed him only f/t. I was just asking if it was better for the first and second meal to eat live cause last month he ate just that

Thanks

I've been feeding live rat pups to my ball since I got him. Haven't had an issue yet (knocks on wood). I've been considering switching to either FT or fresh kill (they do that all my local reptile store). But im worried of having this issue since it's used to live prey. I don't want to spook the snake and have it go in a strike. I also worry about a larger rat getting a hold of my snake. The rat pups are relatively small and I keep an eye in the tank as it strikes. If his mouth gets too close to my snake, I stick a screwdriver in there to make space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Red357 For This Useful Post:

lVlaxxx (04-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Red357 View Post
    I've been feeding live rat pups to my ball since I got him. Haven't had an issue yet (knocks on wood). I've been considering switching to either FT or fresh kill (they do that all my local reptile store). But im worried of having this issue since it's used to live prey. I don't want to spook the snake and have it go in a strike. I also worry about a larger rat getting a hold of my snake. The rat pups are relatively small and I keep an eye in the tank as it strikes. If his mouth gets too close to my snake, I stick a screwdriver in there to make space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    That's what I do with my female. When I put a rat in I'm watching till she eat it. If he come to close I remove it.