Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

1 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Freeway breeding questions.

So, it's obviously gonna be a few years down the road, but I like to scheme and plot future breeding possibilities whenever I get a new bp, so considering we now have the freeway I thought I'd type in some possibilities into a few genetics calculators I sometimes use. Well, honesty I was a bit surprised by the results when I plugged them in, as it seems the calculators won't consider the possibility of my male passing both his yellowbelly and asphalt genes on and making more freeways. Both of these genes are codominant, meaning there should be no reason he can't, by chance, pass both to some of his offspring, right? Are the calculators broken or am I missing something?

Thanks

Re: Freeway breeding questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    So, it's obviously gonna be a few years down the road, but I like to scheme and plot future breeding possibilities whenever I get a new bp, so considering we now have the freeway I thought I'd type in some possibilities into a few genetics calculators I sometimes use. Well, honesty I was a bit surprised by the results when I plugged them in, as it seems the calculators won't consider the possibility of my male passing both his yellowbelly and asphalt genes on and making more freeways. Both of these genes are codominant, meaning there should be no reason he can't, by chance, pass both to some of his offspring, right? Are the calculators broken or am I missing something?
    It's because Asphalt and YB are members of the same gene complex - they are alleles, different versions of the same gene. So, you could make more Freeways paired to a snake that also has a copy of YB or Asphalt (or both), but a Freeway bred to (for instance) a normal, won't reproduce itself.

Edit: A couple links that go into more on this --
    www.owalreptiles.com/complexes.php
    https://jkrballstreetjournal.com/201...-ball-pythons/
    Last edited by Alicia; 04-09-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added links

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thank ya kindly! Interesting to learn that all the offspring will either be yellowbelly or asphalt... this could work in my favor possibly, just wish there were a way to tell the two apart! Lol

Thanks
    Follow up question.... I know that yellow belly and asphalt are virtually identical in their base form, but do they react differently when combined with other genes? For example, will a mojave x yellowbelly look different from an mojave x asphalt?

Thanks

No prob!

Follow up question.... I know that yellow belly and asphalt are virtually identical in their base form, but do they react differently when combined with other genes? For example, will a mojave x yellowbelly look different from an mojave x asphalt?

That I do not know. Hopefully someone else will chime in with the answer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

The only examples I can think of where I know of a definite difference would be if you bred a Freeway (Asphalt x Yellowbelly) to an Ivory (Super Yellowbelly). Or a single-gene YB/Asphalt (where it is unknown which it is) to an Ivory.

In the Freeway x Ivory case, half of the offspring will present as ivory, half as freeway.

Or you could do a single-gene animal that is not known if it is yellowbelly or asphalt, only that it is definitely one of the 2, and pair that to an Ivory. In that case, all offspring will be at a minimum Yellowbelly due to the ivory, whether your single-gene animal is yellowbelly or asphalt depends on what half of the babies turn out as.

If it were a yellowbelly, you'd get 50% YB, and 50% Ivory.
    If it were an asphalt you'd get 50% YB and 50% Freeway. (These percentages being the odds of course, not a guaranteed percentage.)

I'm not sure if it interacts differently with other morphs, but an ivory is likely the best way to prove it out. Particularly at a lower cost. Super Asphalt would be the same in reverse, but a much less common combo than Super YB.

If you start with a Freeway, you can guarantee genetics by breeding to an Ivory. All babies not freeway are super YB and the difference is obvious.

Alternatively, a single gene asphalt to an ivory will only make freeways and single gene YBs, so there is no question what genes the babies have.

If you buy a YB/asphalt without knowing which, you may get the short end of the stick if you were hoping for asphalt and get YB, but would be easy to prove at breeding age.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-10-2019),Alter-Echo (04-10-2019),Dianne (04-10-2019),Lord Sorril (04-10-2019)

Thanks
    This is incredibly useful info... I may very well have to get my hands on a female ivory as I would really like to find a way to single out the genes.. and ultimately create some super asphalts and more freeways. Thank ya.