Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

3 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Baby boa housing question

My husband and I just got a baby BCI this weekend. We have ball pythons, but this our first boa. We were going to put him in a snake rack until he got bigger, but it hasn't arrived yet so we decided to put him in a 36"x18"x18" Exo Terra. We put him in it last night and he immediately went to exploring and trying to figure a way out, which I expected, but today he is still out wandering around. He's settle down a bit, but resting in the open; I've yet to see him utilize either hide. I'm thinking this enclosure is perhaps too big for him, or maybe too open? Or is this just normal behavior?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redpandakitty For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Baby boa housing question

I would definitely put in a few more hides.

You want identical hides on the hot side, the cool side, and the middle, at least, for a boa that size.

Identical hides means he/she will never have to choose safety over proper temps.

Having said all that, it is normal for a boa to explore a new tank. Also, both of my Boas use their hides, but often explore and hang out in the open as well.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-09-2019),JRLongton (04-09-2019),redpandakitty (04-09-2019),richardhind1972 (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    I don't have a boa, but I really want one, so I have been reading everything I can find on them, and from what I have read here, it's not too abnormal for them to rest openly in the early stages. Eventually, it will settle into the hides.

I'm sure someone with more experience will come along soon, but I figured I would offer what I could.

By the way, congrats on your new addition!
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

redpandakitty (04-09-2019)

Thanks

That was kind of my understanding too, from what I've read, but figured I would ask those more experienced to make sure. We may have only had him a matter of days, but so far he has been absolutely amazing. He's been so fun to interact with and even though the breeder warned us he might be a bit nippy he's never once hissed or tried to strike at us. We're big fans so far!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redpandakitty For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-09-2019)

Thanks

Thanks! We do have some extra hides so I'll go ahead and put them in too then.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Boas are awesome! I would also add in another hide. Ideally two identical ones that are a bit smaller. I have that same gray one, and it's pretty big. With that being said, boas are much more out and about at times than BP's.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Also, you maaay want to consider putting any new snakes on paper towels for at least the first month instead of other substrate. This is just in case they come in with any mites. Hopefully you'll never have to deal with them, because they're obnoxious, but paper towels allow you to see mites a lot more easily.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-09-2019),redpandakitty (04-09-2019)

Thanks

I've unfortunately had to learn the hard way about mites and researching who you buy from. We lost our very first ball python to mites (we took her to the vet & treated them but she never got better). I meticulously checked him over for mites, but I know sometimes they're so little they're hard to see, so thanks for the paper towel suggestion. That hadn't occurred to me, but it's a great idea.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Nice new pick up.
    Boas are great, a couple of hides would be great,
    Some of mine don’t Use there hides And are nearly always on show in the open ,Paper would be a good for a while just in case he came some mites, fingers crossed he hasnt
    Good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

redpandakitty (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I'm not sure what the age of your new boa is but I'll assume it is a juvenile.

Probably the best procedure to follow until you have an established boa is to set them up exactly, or very similar to how the breeder had it set up.

Yes, boas are fairly hardy, but when young, especially very young, they are susceptible to disease brought on by stress. A perfectly healthy young snake can deteriorate rapidly due to stress as it allows the immune system to weaken.

The whole process of shipping/transporting the animal has already changed its life and brought on stress. Exposure in a large enclosure, in a bright, busy room will compound the stress.

Try what the breeder was doing or something very similar to what they did. If that isn't possible, add as much top cover and ground clutter as possible. Fake plants, and more hides.

If your snake if tightly curled up in the very back corner of the cage it is a sign that it doesn't feel secure.

A friend of mine who breeds Pokigron, Suriname BCCs would recommend this same approach.

Congrats, and good luck with the new boa.

I should add that this advice comes with the assumption that the breeder you purchased from is competent and versed in properly keeping young snakes.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-09-2019),fadingdaylight (04-09-2019),redpandakitty (04-09-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast