Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,532

0 members and 2,532 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Surprise shed...

This is the second time my ball python sheds in my possession. I noticed it was acting normal then one day it went inside its warm hide and had been in there for days. I didn't bother it because he had ate a rat on Saturday. Well come Wednesday I noticed a bunch of shed. It didn't show signs of it going into a shed. His eyes never went blue/gray. So it completely shed but never got eye caps. Is that normal? Can they shed without their eyes going blue/gray? It has a little of stuck shed on top of his head (nothing major). But his eyes are perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    It's "normal" in the sense that you just missed it going blue & then back to clear prior to shedding. I've kept many snakes for a long time...none of them ever
    shed without shedding their eye-caps too, so like I said, you just looked at the wrong time, & maybe with not the right lighting. Best way to verify a snake going
    blue is in a darkened room, shine a penlight beam on the eyes from the side...if they are milky, it will be obvious.

You say "it completely shed but never got eye caps." Did you actually check the shed skin, to make sure they didn't stay on? Especially since some shed is still
    stuck on top of the head...you want to make sure that eye caps always came off with the shed, and also the tail tip (if shed is left on for a couple sheds, just on
    the tail tip, it will result in death of tissue & loss of tail tip, because the old skin is just tight enough to cut off circulation.)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Red357 (04-09-2019),Sonny1318 (04-09-2019)

Thanks

Re: Surprise shed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's "normal" in the sense that you just missed it going blue & then back to clear prior to shedding. I've kept many snakes for a long time...none of them ever
    shed without shedding their eye-caps too, so like I said, you just looked at the wrong time, & maybe with not the right lighting. Best way to verify a snake going
    blue is in a darkened room, shine a penlight beam on the eyes from the side...if they are milky, it will be obvious.

You say "it completely shed but never got eye caps." Did you actually check the shed skin, to make sure they didn't stay on? Especially since some shed is still
    stuck on top of the head...you want to make sure that eye caps always came off with the shed, and also the tail tip (if shed is left on for a couple sheds, just on
    the tail tip, it will result in death of tissue & loss of tail tip, because the old skin is just tight enough to cut off circulation.)
    The tail tip did completely shed. I did check the entire shed and there were no eye cap shed. I think he's shedding his head part right now. I noticed him running his head against surfaces as if he's trying to remove it. Just late last night I noticed his right eye seems to have a bit of shed coming. Weird.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    I hope you've raised the humidity to help him? Also, spray a fine water mist on his head to help him...trust me, you do NOT want him to have stuck eye-caps! You
    can also give him a damp towel to rub his head into.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Red357 (04-09-2019)

Thanks

Re: Surprise shed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I hope you've raised the humidity to help him? Also, spray a fine water mist on his head to help him...trust me, you do NOT want him to have stuck eye-caps! You
    can also give him a damp towel to rub his head into.
    Yes I've raised the humidity a bit. I was thinking of giving it a warm bath today to help him with the stuck shed on his head. It's not much but he does have a bit.