Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

0 members and 2,809 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reptile Shows?

Thanks
    Woah, such beautiful snakes! And such a collection. All big 'uns.
    Do you have any tips or advice for a potential first time keeper? I'm trying to do as much research as I can, as I am well aware that it's a different story compared to keeping my ball python and boa. I am swaying more towards getting a dwarf burm if possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Reptile Shows?

Quote Originally Posted by callumdegg View Post
    amazing paint job! love the color and washed out parts.

Burm x rock python ..nasty boy loves to bite
    wow! he's amazing! i would not have thought that pattern would be the result.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FractalVision View Post
    Woah, such beautiful snakes! And such a collection. All big 'uns.
    Do you have any tips or advice for a potential first time keeper? I'm trying to do as much research as I can, as I am well aware that it's a different story compared to keeping my ball python and boa. I am swaying more towards getting a dwarf burm if possible.
    Thank you haha I plan on stopping when I'm the next Bob Clark . And all I can suggest is do as much research as you can think about the 2 species of snakes you want to buy I wouldn't keep numerous different animals as there care needs will be different making it harder to properly care for them all unless you are around all the time to keep a eye on temps and humidity. If I was yourself I would go with boas and burms buy them as baby's and watch them grow up slowly feed them once every 7-8 days appropriate sized meals don't try growing them fast just buy 1 at first and see if having a bigger snake is for you . I bought my first burm in 2012 a normal female and i dont buy another untill late 2013 because I didn't want to be stuck with loads of big snakes that I couldn't care for or was scared of . And the dwarf burms unless you buy from a reputable breeder most dwarfs end up hitting near enough normal size anyway. You have to be careful what your buying I suggest doing abit of research regarding Burmese pythons and going with one of them they are relatively easy to care for hot side 90-93f ambient 80-85 maybe a little higher can drop to mid 70s at night hook tap train for baby's the only problem you may have is caging as they require bigger cage as adults. Or even find yourself a nice boa they can be nippy as baby's but not all ways and just grow her nicly and see if a bigger species of snakes is for you if you need any information what so ever feel free to message me via private pm but i am no reptile expert just a guy who loves Burmese pythons haha

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to callumdegg For This Useful Post:

FractalVision (04-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    amazing paint job! love the color and washed out parts.

wow! he's amazing! i would not have thought that pattern would be the result.
    Thank you he's a beautiful boy good temper also never hisses at me .

And I got her as a future plan but she isn't one I can handle to often she makes spot cleaning a process of its own I have to cover her with a towel she just flys for my hands haha i am hoping to get a nice littler of her in a year or so some mixed burms I am going to try throw the hypo gene in with her to try wash the pattern down a little bit

Thanks

Thank you for the good advice
    This would be my third snake, and I don't have any plans to add more to that. So that would mean that I would have the ball python, boa, and a burm.
    Yes, I did consider that - the importance of sourcing a dwarf burm breeder, as I can imagine that alot of people get caught out by snakes which are supposed to be dwarf, but end up growing to mainland burm size.
    I also agree with what you said about feeding slow and steadily, that is definitely my intention.

If I find a suitable snake at the show in June, I can definitely see me coming home with one.
    I actually called a reptile shop here in Wales, just because I was curious to see if they stocked them. They told me on the phone that they don't stock them because it encourages people to buy them that then don't want to look after them when they get big. I do respect what they meant, but I also felt a bit of judgement there

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Just a point but dwarf burms and even 50% dwarves are known to be more defensive/twitchy than their larger counterparts, and they're still a large snake. So if you're looking for a pet they may not be the best choice due to temperament.

I would look at Dumerils boas or olive/Papuan pythons if you want something that will get larger than your boa imperator but will be better suited as a pet.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-13-2019 at 09:39 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

callumdegg (04-13-2019),FractalVision (04-13-2019)

Thanks

Thank you for the good advice
    This would be my third snake, and I don't have any plans to add more to that. So that would mean that I would have the ball python, boa, and a burm.
    Yes, I did consider that - the importance of sourcing a dwarf burm breeder, as I can imagine that alot of people get caught out by snakes which are supposed to be dwarf, but end up growing to mainland burm size.
    I also agree with what you said about feeding slow and steadily, that is definitely my intention.

If I find a suitable snake at the show in June, I can definitely see me coming home with one.
    I actually called a reptile shop here in Wales, just because I was curious to see if they stocked them. They told me on the phone that they don't stock them because it encourages people to buy them that then don't want to look after them when they get big. I do respect what they meant, but I also felt a bit of judgement there
    I also forgot to mention what he said aswell they can be defensive and twitchy I probly would go with another boa or down them lines if a mainland is to big for you lol but you never know untill you own one jump in the deep end

10. The Following User Says Thank You to callumdegg For This Useful Post:

FractalVision (04-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Just a point but dwarf burms and even 50% dwarves are known to be more defensive/twitchy than their larger counterparts, and they're still a large snake. So if you're looking for a pet they may not be the best choice due to temperament.

I would look at Dumerils boas or olive/Papuan pythons if you want something that will get larger than your boa imperator but will be better suited as a pet.

Thankyou - I'm glad you mentioned this, as I did forget that I had seen it mentioned about the dwarfs being snappier. I will take my time to think through all of the options. I know that I want a large python, and not another boa. The burmese is the one in my mind for sure. All I can do is research, and also consider the setup that I will need for it from when it is young all the way to adulthood.
    Whatever happens, I will provide the comfort and care for it just as much as I do my other two

Thanks

I also forgot to mention what he said aswell they can be defensive and twitchy I probly would go with another boa or down them lines if a mainland is to big for you lol but you never know untill you own one jump in the deep end

Well, that's the thing isn't it - There's no way of me truly knowing until I have one. It is just uncharted territory is all.
    I had my ball python, and he was the perfect beginner snake, then the boa came second. It worked well doing it that way around.
    I pretty much know that I want a burm. It's no good denying it to myself! I was looking at the possibility of the dwarf, but it seems that there are one or two reasons that maybe I should go with a mainland.

I'll let you know what happens in the next couple months!
    What are your opinions on viv sizing for an adult? Obviously, sizes and opinions differ, but I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts. Just considering everything right now.
    Last edited by FractalVision; 04-13-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks

Well, that's the thing isn't it - There's no way of me truly knowing until I have one. It is just uncharted territory is all.
    I had my ball python, and he was the perfect beginner snake, then the boa came second. It worked well doing it that way around.
    I pretty much know that I want a burm. It's no good denying it to myself! I was looking at the possibility of the dwarf, but it seems that there are one or two reasons that maybe I should go with a mainland.

I'll let you know what happens in the next couple months!
    What are your opinions on viv sizing for an adult? Obviously, sizes and opinions differ, but I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts. Just considering everything right now.
    When they are smaller keep them in tub/rubs untill they are no big enough tubs to buy because there is no point buying different size vivs every year. I keep all my Burmese in tubs untill they outgrow them then i move them into 6ft or vivarium I have a 4 stack then If they need to be moved up again I have homemade 8ft vivariums that I house big females in but for the next 1-2 years. I wouldn't worry about vivarium size just yet make sure you buy a hatchling unless she is tiny you can start them of on large wieners keep him or her on them untill you think is sufficient and move up to smalls every 7-10 days your choice . But i would certainly go with a baby may be a albino green love the colours or if your only getting the one snake go for somthing abit better but don't buy a albino or a hypo buy somthing more exotic that you will take pleasure in looking at I can get you albino granite for £150 hypo albino labrinth het granite green for £200 look about the show for that special animal you will want to hold on to .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to callumdegg For This Useful Post:

FractalVision (04-23-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast