Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

2 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found

Thanks

Unhappy Found

Hi Guys

im new here so thank you 😊 for letting me join. I have a banana ball python who went missing for a month. Luckily I found him and returned him to his viv. I let him settle for several days and then tried to feed him. But he wouldn’t eat. I’ve tried several times more but with no joy. What can I do???? Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Hello, welcome, & congratulations on finding your missing snake (& for finding us too ).

Letting him settle for a few days may not have been long enough, and offering food too often usually stresses a snake into refusing again & again.
    Best to wait at least a week (after finding, or after each offering) before offering prey again.

How long have you had this snake? Has he eaten for you in the past? Is it possible he's going into shed? If he was missing for a month, have you checked
    him closely for signs of illness? (Listen closely to his breathing...do you hear whistling sounds? crackling sounds? wheezing?) With insufficient heat during
    the month he was loose, he may now have a respiratory infection ("R.I."), and may need a vet visit to get him well. Even if you keep your house very warm,
    remember that especially during winter months the floors can be much chillier than higher levels in rooms (like on furniture).

What are the temps. in his viv? (highest, lowest) Type of cage? humidity? hides? Substrate? Seems like a lot of info, but it helps us narrow down what
    you're up against.

Thanks

Re: Found

Wow so glad you found him!
    Thats my worst fear. Mainly cuz I have 4 dogs.
    Welcome

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hello, welcome, & congratulations on finding your missing snake (& for finding us too ).

Letting him settle for a few days may not have been long enough, and offering food too often usually stresses a snake into refusing again & again.
    Best to wait at least a week (after finding, or after each offering) before offering prey again.

How long have you had this snake? Has he eaten for you in the past? Is it possible he's going into shed? If he was missing for a month, have you checked
    him closely for signs of illness? (Listen closely to his breathing...do you hear whistling sounds? crackling sounds? wheezing?) With insufficient heat during
    the month he was loose, he may now have a respiratory infection ("R.I."), and may need a vet visit to get him well. Even if you keep your house very warm,
    remember that especially during winter months the floors can be much chillier than higher levels in rooms (like on furniture).

What are the temps. in his viv? (highest, lowest) Type of cage? humidity? hides? Substrate? Seems like a lot of info, but it helps us narrow down what
    you're up against.

Thanks
    Hi

thanks again, he was very cold when I found him. I’ve kept his humidity around 65% and the temp on a static 34.9. He has a wood/glass viv (a pretty standard one if I’m honest) the substrate is conventional dark wood chip. Am I doing things right. I’m so surprised I found him, I have six cats so it could have ended up very badly . He was quite limp when I found him, but bathing him every day has made a world of difference and he’s seemed to become much more sturdy. I’ve had him nearly two years. Should I refrain from handling him in the short term. Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to do the best for him and I trust your judgement

Thanks

Me too! I’m amazed, I have 6 cats so I know it could have ended quite differently x

Thanks

Like suggested by Bogertophis,
    I too would suggest leaving him alone for at least a week. Kinda treat him like you would a new snake. He needs to feel secure after his advanture and after he eats a meal , of course wait a couple of days and then it would probably be okay to handle him.
    I'm sure during that time he was lost that he experienced cold temperatures that were not conducive to his health.
    And do watch closely for potential respiratory issues which will require a trip to the vet
    How exactly did it happen that he escaped?

Last edited by Jellybeans; 04-11-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Like suggested by Bogertophis,
    I too would suggest leaving him alone for at least a week. Kinda treat him like you would a new snake. He needs to feel secure after his advanture and after he eats a meal , of course wait a couple of days and then it would probably be okay to handle him.
    I'm sure during that time he was lost that he experienced cold temperatures that were not conducive to his health.
    And do watch closely for potential respiratory issues which will require a trip to the vet
    How exactly did it happen that he escaped?

Thanks
    Hi

I’m going to be brutally honest, it was my own stupidity- I left the viv open

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Felicity For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-12-2019),tttaylorrr (04-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Hi

I’m going to be brutally honest, it was my own stupidity- I left the viv open
    Hey at least your honest!
    We are only human.
    We live and learn all the time.
    Glad he's home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast