Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 871

2 members and 869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Week!

Thanks

Frog Week!

I'm an enthusiast of the frogs and toads of Pennsylvania and I've been working on conservation and small breeding projects. I legally obtained my animals and am filing for an educational permit to obtain only single digit numbers of specific frogs. I am working on two things one which is replenishing the native species from the place they occur. The other is to provide conservation and awareness of the native species. I am creating a small week long series of videos coming out daily like Shark Week from the Discovery Channel. I'm going to post them on my YouTube Channel as the source.

I am working with Josh's Frogs who is sponsoring the project on social media, paherpsurvey is asking for my findings and we have talked a little bit, the state fish and boat commission I am asking to interview them and they are aware of Frog Week. I know someone who enforces the fines and rules. I may be working with a branch of Carnegie Science Center. My school biologist who has a masters in Herpetology knows of the entire project and I work diligently side by side with him. I ask and run things by him daily. My vet who has worked in zoos and with Ripley's Aquarium is providing medical Care and information to me for my hats who I am attempting to breed so they can be approved from a nationally-recognized vet before we do anything including the environment. I also have been in contact with Frank Indiviglio who is a nationally known Herpetologist. Look up his articles if you Google him! He is awesome! I am working with another forum Our Reptile Forum to create caresheets and provide other educational articles.

My intention of the project is to make people care about the native frogs. That's why I have a YouTube channel and why I am on here to begin with. I want to help my area as best as I can and my goal is to reach the entire state of PA as my audience to educate them and interest them of frogs. Josh's Frogs will help push the project nationally and so will the forums. I want as many people as possible to checkout the project and hopefully to share it with friends and family to spread the word on conservation of frogs and toads!

Frog Week will be herping adventures of mostly Western PA this year and we will find various species and discuss them and their ecosystems. Along with herping I will have my 125 gallon on displaying and both Frog Week and my 125 gallon will have threads on here so you'll be able to follow them. My 125 gallon will feature my pets and a couple other native species pets will be on display.

The featured animals of Frog Week are American Toads, Wood Frogs and Gray Tree Frogs. My email will feature them as well. so it is about wild conservation and about captive educational care and showing interesting content to make people care about our frogs.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Frog Week!

Quote Originally Posted by AAronCap View Post
    I am creating
    So I just read this entire post and it is just an advertisement for something that has not been made yet or released? *sigh*

Here is a photo of my front yard-so others have something interesting to look at.

Regards.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-07-2019),Sonny1318 (04-07-2019),Timelugia (04-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    So I just read this entire post and it is just an advertisement for something that has not been made yet or released? *sigh*

Here is a photo of my front yard-so others have something interesting to look at.

Regards.
    Recording for the project has already begun but in my area the frogs are just starting to come out and it will take time to put together good videos.

It's an update page until the event happens because more is bound to happen until the release.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (04-07-2019)

Thanks

Lol when I wrote this I put frogs and auto correct put hats and I put enclosure and my auto correct put email. Sorry for typos.

Auto correct wins again

Thanks

Regards.
    I understand what you’re getting at but that was pretty rude. Obviously this guy is putting in a ton of time and dedication, the least you can do is be polite. We need advocators for conservation, especially for nongame species. Although it would be nice for links to pics and/or videos of the projects progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Obviously this guy is putting in a ton of time and dedication, the least you can do is be polite.
    You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. The least you can do is respect that.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I understand what you’re getting at but that was pretty rude. Obviously this guy is putting in a ton of time and dedication, the least you can do is be polite. We need advocators for conservation, especially for nongame species. Although it would be nice for links to pics and/or videos of the projects progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I appreciate the support! When I get a chance to download some off of my camera I will upload on here some pictures. As for links do you mean you want links from like more information on the species from the state or do you mean from my videos and etc? The project is going to take time because we are trying to get the earliest frogs that breed now and then the frogs that breed later in the season to have a better project. In my area the spring peepers are just starting to come out.

This is an ongoing project so think of this as the thread on the forum that you can reach me and comment. It's not actually just an advertisement because I also will answer questions and concerns and I will give pictures and updates as it happens. Just because the videos aren't out doesn't mean it's not something that's going on.

I encourage everyone to check this out and feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AAronCap View Post
    The project is going to take time because we are trying to get the earliest frogs that breed now and then the frogs that breed later in the season to have a better project.
    One of your goals is replenishment of the native species: What does your group consider to be the primary environmental pressure that caused a drop-off in the population originally (invasive species, disease, chemicals, deforestation)? How will adding more frogs/toads remedy this issue?

(Innocently asking questions)
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

One of your goals is replenishment of the native species: What does your group consider to be the primary environmental pressure that caused a drop-off in the population originally (invasive species, disease, chemicals, deforestation)? How will adding more frogs/toads remedy this issue?

(Innocently asking questions)
    In my initial post I explained the project being conservation and education of frogs in the wild and their ecosystems. I also have the frogs and toads in captivity that are being featured and I'm showing educational content about them so it's two parts.

Frogs are declining due to many reasons and Frog Week is going to show deforestation, it might include information about ranavirus and we will talk more specific later once the project is closer to release.

The three species face different challenges. The toad is not really in jeopardy it is abundant and doing well, but I want people to see how incredible the American Toad is. It's a friend to Farmers, gardeners, plant nurseries and it eliminates harmful insects like ticks, field mice (occasionally) and mosquitoes. I just want people to know they have a purpose and to encourage people to leave them to do their jobs in the wild. Protecting us!

The Wood Frogs are abundant but threatened by deforestation and pollution. They are not common pets. They like the toads don't have a high demand and the Wood Frog is an advanced frog to keep. I wanted to include them being one of the most unique frogs in the country. They are a terrestrial pond frog and I wanted to encourage the conservation for them because they share the task the toads have in protecting us and our environment.

The Gray Tree Frogs are actually being taken from the state and sold in the pet trade and it's leading to a decline in numbers. They are a species of special concern for Frog Week because I want to offer to the state the Gray Tree Frogs should be added to the list of special concern. These frogs are very important and I want to try to encourage people not to buy them online and promote their decline in the wild.

For those who have these species or related species in captivity already I'm going to offer care advice and help people to keep their animals. I see it as the frogs in captivity need help just like the ones in the wild. If someone owns them they can't release them so they might as well know how to care for it.

These are the big components of Frog Week

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

gunkle (04-07-2019),Lord Sorril (04-07-2019)

Thanks

The American Toad has officially come out from hibernate in my area!

This is a picture of a Wood Frog. Their season for breeding is about done.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

gunkle (04-08-2019),MarkL1561 (04-08-2019),Timelugia (04-08-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast