Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,922

0 members and 2,922 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Is this normal? Getting worried.

Thanks for the input, I did end up soaking him in my sink yesterday but I took him out after around 15 mins. I used a temp gun and the water temp was 90F when I put him in, but as soon as Noodle touched the water he went rigid with fear (he basically just went stiff and his body would stay in the same shape even when I moved him. I tried gently massaging down his body and tail but no results (then again I think the time he was in the water was shorter than recommended). When the water cooled down I took Noodle out and replaced it once but when I put him in the second time he started trying to climb out so I ended up just taking him out.

Before he peed on me I could feel something hard around his vent area but once he passed the urates that was gone. I've felt around his vent again and everything seems to be soft so I don't think he's impacted or anything. If he still doesn't pass anything for another week or two I'm going to try soaking him again for a longer time.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You don't want the water at 90*, that's too warm (you're forcing him to stay at that temperature, & water conducts heat much better than air (as in his cage
    at the warm side). It wasn't only "fear" that made him tense up... Next time water should be low to mid 80's.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-15-2019),fadingdaylight (04-27-2019),Luvyna (04-15-2019)

Thanks

Definitely noted for next time, maybe that's why he was trying to get out!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    Just checking in, any luck with Noodle? If not, hang in there; Iggy held out on me for an even longer stint this time, and just pooped for me yesterday ... after 61 days. No water baths needed, and the poop was truly enormous. If Noodle is still eating regularly, he's probably going to deliver something even more impressive when he finally decides to let loose!
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-20-2019),Luvyna (04-28-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for checking in! Glad to hear Iggy was able to work things out on her own. Guess some snakes just really like to hold it in.

Good news, Noodle finally unloaded. It was huge. I feel so bad for Noodle, it looked almost painful and he had a lot of gas trapped in him that was finally let out. I think things got held up because he first let out a giant urate, and before that, he was looking quite bloated so I was planning to take him to the vet if our most recent soak yielded no results. Amazingly he continued to eat voraciously each week despite this.

Noodle got soaked another two times, each 1 week apart. The first time was for 45 mins and though I got him to do some swimming motions, nothing happened. He had another soak today and after 15 minutes he finally went. It looks like he is going into shed as well now.

I feel like I must have done something wrong for this to happen, while some snakes don't go for a long time I think he was constipated due to the huge urate and how hard his poop was. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused this, gonna try raising the humidity for the coming month and feed him wet rats (on cardboard so he won't ingest substrate) to see if that helps.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-28-2019),RedRabbit (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    It's good to hear that Noodle has finally been able to relieve himself. It does sound like that large urate was acting like a "cork" holding in all that gas and poop behind it, but at the same time, it's not uncommon for BP bowel movements to be quite ... forceful, even on a good day. (There's a reason why we have a few forum threads along the lines of "was that an explosion in the next room, or did my BP just pass gas?") If Noodle is still eating well for you and shedding on schedule (an indication of growth), then this may just be how his little GI tract operates, but if you want to take some additional measures to ensure he's hydrating well, that's reasonable. What humidity level had you been maintaining for him previously, and how much are you planning to bump it up?
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-28-2019),Luvyna (04-28-2019)

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that if he's still eating well and shedding on schedule things are most likely roughly in the range of normal. Haven't heard an "explosion" yet lol but I have seen some of those threads too. It's pretty amazing what the small bodies of BPs are capable of.

The humidity was 50-60% before, I'm thinking of bumping up to 60-70%

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123