Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 880

0 members and 880 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Wrinkly, Pruny, Rough Scales

About three months ago, I purchased a BP on my local CraigsList. When I picked it up, I noticed some abnormalities in the scales, but since the snake was well fed and otherwise showed no signs of neglect, I did not worry too much about it. I placed it in its quarantine tub, and waited for the skin to "clean up" during the next shed.

The next shed and all subsequent sheds were fine, but the abnormal looking scales remained. In the affected spots, the scales look rough and wrinkly and pruny. Under close examination, it even looks as if in some spots, some of the scales have come off and only some scarred skin remains. The affected areas are located only along the spine. The belly of the snake is completely unaffected. I have posted some pictures below.

So I'm hoping that, with the help of other forum members, we can diagnose what this scale issue is, and post a solution that works.

Here are the pictures of Krusty (ironically) the Clown:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Those look like old scars. It may take months before the scales ever go back to normal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    I think you're looking at old damage caused by the snake pushing & rubbing his back on the "ceiling" of his enclosure, or under a heavy rock-type hide perhaps.

Missing scales will not grow back, but the damaged ones might slowly improve somewhat. It's not a health issue as far as I can see, only a minor cosmetic one.
    Remember that virtually no one goes thru life without a few scars. They've healed over, so DO NOT apply ointment or anything...it won't help and might further
    damage scales (depending on what you try, oil-based products can make the scales de-laminate).

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-05-2019),Monty's Python (04-05-2019),paulh (04-05-2019)

Thanks

Re: Wrinkly, Pruny, Rough Scales

Thank you for the replies. I do agree that this looks like scars.

I was not able to find an answer to the problem online. Even here on the forum, there seem to be numerous threads describing the same issue, but there are never any conclusions. Some previous threads mentioned fungal infections or rotted scales, but the original posters never gave any feedback on wether that turned out to be the correct diagnosis, or how they treated it, or if the treatment was successful.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this develops. I'm not too concerned if these spots are indeed scars, but if it turns out to be a fungus, then my main concern is contagion with my other snakes.

Anyways, I'll make sure to keep you updated.

Thanks
    I've seen scales damaged by fungal infections or "scale rot", & they didn't look like this. I don't think you have anything to worry about & I don't think the
    "damage" will progress, but you're a good owner for asking and good owners always keep an eye on things anyway... I hope you do update this thread
    after a while, & I predict it will be good news, which we never turn down, lol.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Monty's Python (04-06-2019),paulh (04-05-2019)

Thanks

As promised, here is a little follow up to this thread.

The scale issue turned out to be definitely scars. The wrinkly scales are still there, but there is no further spreading neither to other parts of Krusty's body, nor to any other snakes in the rack. Since these scars occur only on the back of the snake, I do believe they are from rubbing on a hide.

Also, my son has a piebald BP, who's tub my son decorated with a rock hide. Recently, I spotted a tiny wrinkled scale on his back, and I immediately removed the hide from the enclosure. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you to everybody who helped me get to the bottom of this issue. If there are any new developments, I will let you know.

Thanks
    BTW, "wrinkly" scales are a non-issue...they happen where the snake's body is curled up & the scales push against each other, or against something in the
    cage...imagine if your arm had scales and you bent your elbow...those scales would get "wrinkled" from being bent. Nothing to worry about.

Snakes NEED hides, whether or not they bend a few scales, & BPs especially need both a warm & cool hide to feel secure enough to eat & thrive. Please re-
    think taking a hide away from your snake. The "rock hides" may be more apt to damage a few scales than the smooth black plastic ones from Reptile Basics,
    but one way or another, snakes NEED hides. A snake starving itself from stress is going to have a bigger problem than bent scales, & it won't be pretty.

A snake that bends a few scales from using their hides is roughly the equivalent of you or I have "bed-head" in the morning from sleeping on a pillow, & I
    don't know about you, but I'm sure not going to sleep standing up, just so I don't mess up my hair.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-08-2019 at 12:02 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Monty's Python (05-09-2019),octo_owl (05-08-2019)

Thanks

Thank you for your comment about the hides. My snakes are in a rack/drawer setup, not in a tank. Are you suggesting they need hides inside the drawers? I thought the drawers function as the hide. A good friend of mine is a professional BP breeder, and he keeps more than 300 snakes in individual drawers, all of which don't have hides inside the tubs.

Could you please clarify?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's Python View Post
    Thank you for your comment about the hides. My snakes are in a rack/drawer setup, not in a tank. Are you suggesting they need hides inside the drawers? I thought the drawers function as the hide. A good friend of mine is a professional BP breeder, and he keeps more than 300 snakes in individual drawers, all of which don't have hides inside the tubs.

Could you please clarify?
    There is disagreement among BP-keepers & breeders on this, & I suspect more for the sake of their own convenience, some feel that snakes kept in racks can get along
    fine without actual hides...as you said, feeling that the drawers function as a hide. I don't buy that, but it's your call. In my experience nearly all snakes like to feel safe
    inside a hide that offers "back pressure"...the snug feeling that nothing can sneak up on them in a hide where the ceiling isn't too tall & the doorway isn't too wide open.

BPs are especially shy snakes that do not actively hunt food, but wait to ambush prey that happens by their hiding place. In addition, knowing that snakes will choose a
    sense of security over the right temperatures (for digestion) ANY day, I'd recommend 2 hides for most snakes, one warm & one on the cool side of whatever enclosure.

This is what I do, but you'll have to decide for yourself what's right. If you find that your snake doesn't eat well without hides, you might keep this in mind. Snakes cannot
    talk & tell us what they like...they either thrive or they don't, but I try to approximate the living conditions sought by the snakes I keep as IF they were wild & free to choose.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-09-2019 at 05:14 PM.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    All my snakes are racked. Out of thirty breeding females, only 3 still have hides and those are out right now because they are getting ready to lay. There is no set rule for this other than it depends on the snake. If you have enough of them you learn to tell when they want/don't want the hide. If they are laying outside of it all the time, they don't want it. If they start hiding under the paper, go on an unpredicted hunger strike, or start to become defensive, they get a hide. If you are going to error though, error for having the hide.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-09-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2019),Monty's Python (05-16-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast