Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

1 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: This is way cool... Rainbow supperstar...

Well the recording went well. There is a TV show called outgirled. It is on TLC. Will be a week or so before it is on there. The show is about a family who had quintuplets were all girls. They were really nice people and that's a lot of questions it was cool and the kids enjoyed rainbow. Criticize me if you will it was a cool experience and nobody was hurt and it was good enrichment. Rainbow represented the hobby well.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Outdaughtered not out girls

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Well the recording went well. There is a TV show called outgirled. It is on TLC. Will be a week or so before it is on there. The show is about a family who had quintuplets were all girls. They were really nice people and that's a lot of questions it was cool and the kids enjoyed rainbow. Criticize me if you will it was a cool experience and nobody was hurt and it was good enrichment. Rainbow represented the hobby well.

No apologies, no concessions, not even an acknowledgement that maybe you could do things better. Just more of the same old same old. Well, good luck to you... hopefully you grow up someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bodie (04-07-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-07-2019),Dianne (04-07-2019),jmcrook (04-07-2019),Kira (04-07-2019),MissterDog (04-07-2019),Shayne (04-07-2019),Sonny1318 (04-07-2019),TechnoCheese (04-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    No apologies, no concessions, not even an acknowledgement that maybe you could do things better. Just more of the same old same old. Well, good luck to you... hopefully you grow up someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    How much experience do you have with reticulated pythons? Thanks to what i do some people have improved their care of their own animals. Some made a better decisions on which animal to get as a learning species. Some got over their fear. Some people say they would hold rainbow when they would not hold any other state because of the way she behaves and is wonderful. I have proper licensing and insurance.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve what I do or new things to try but they have to be good practices for me to even consider them. Also there is an open invite to anyone who wants to spend time with rainbow or any of my other show animals. She might change your mind as well.

Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-07-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

With all due respect, you have barely over 1 year experience with reticulated pythons yet consistently disregard advice from those with much more experience with large constrictors.

Licenses for retics in TX don't exactly sound like they are difficult to obtain. The licenses also don't say anything about being used to provide educational shows with the regulated snakes. They are for personal use only, unless you've obtained the breeding license, and that just expands it to breeding, not public displays. I read the statutes because your practices made me curious. So how exactly are you a) licensed to take such large snakes into public and b) give educational shows? Are you registered as a non-profit? What is your curriculum, what topics do you cover? What information are you really trying to convey? Or are your shows simply a way to show off your animals to make yourself feel good?

I, for one, am happy nothing happened to those 5 girls and am relieved nothing major has happened at any of your "shows" yet. But you are fooling yourself if you believe it's a good idea to have such a large constrictor out in public in a pet shop of all places, around young children and people who do not have experience with any snakes, let alone retics. I don't believe you even have a second handler to help you if something goes wrong? Do you think retics are taken out at zoos as educational animals? No. They aren't.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

67temp (04-07-2019),Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-07-2019),Dianne (04-07-2019),Gio (04-08-2019),jmcrook (04-07-2019),Kira (04-07-2019),ladywhipple02 (04-08-2019),MissterDog (04-07-2019),Shayne (04-07-2019),Sonny1318 (04-07-2019),TechnoCheese (04-07-2019),Toad37 (04-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    With all due respect, you have barely over 1 year experience with reticulated pythons yet consistently disregard advice from those with much more experience with large constrictors.

Licenses for retics in TX don't exactly sound like they are difficult to obtain. The licenses also don't say anything about being used to provide educational shows with the regulated snakes. They are for personal use only, unless you've obtained the breeding license, and that just expands it to breeding, not public displays. I read the statutes because your practices made me curious. So how exactly are you a) licensed to take such large snakes into public and b) give educational shows? Are you registered as a non-profit? What is your curriculum, what topics do you cover? What information are you really trying to convey? Or are your shows simply a way to show off your animals to make yourself feel good?

I, for one, am happy nothing happened to those 5 girls and am relieved nothing major has happened at any of your "shows" yet. But you are fooling yourself if you believe it's a good idea to have such a large constrictor out in public in a pet shop of all places, around young children and people who do not have experience with any snakes, let alone retics. I don't believe you even have a second handler to help you if something goes wrong? Do you think retics are taken out at zoos as educational animals? No. They aren't.
    Yes I have a year+ experience with them. I am a sponge on care and animal handling. I learn quick. I don't know everything but I take everything I learned and am still learning to heart. To own one you need a license. Educational shows do not require one. Do I "feel good taking them out" yes but that is not the point. I love the animals. Why snakes? because they are often misunderstood. Little education goes a long way. You are welcome to visit my show anytime. My animals have proven to be good for showing. If one is having a bad day they stay home. Rainbow was always in my hands and under my control. I had help with handling waiting to jump in and help if necessary. One day a couple of people to help will be necessary. The store staff was there also keeping an eye on us to help if needed. I understand my animals and how they move and communicate.

I guess I am missing something.

1. Educated.
    2. Spent time getting to know my animals and who they behave.
    3. I respect my animals.
    4. I work hard to keep everyone safe.
    5. I have help if needed.
    6. I fallow all the laws associated to owning my animals.

Where am I wrong here? Rainbow is one of the most easy going snakes I have. Even though she has earned a certain level of trust I keep a healthy dose of fear and respect for them.
    Is there a "risk"? Yes. Wild animals and will always be so. That is my responsibility and I think education goes a long way and I love doing it.

Yes I enjoy when I help someone pick out a thermostat when they don't have one. Or get a BP owner to provide the extra hide to the animal self regulates. I also enjoyed it when a pet shop worker said he wanted a retic and had no experience with any snakes and I handed him Rainbow and showed him he was not ready. Seeing her full of energy right out of her transport container running and him struggling to hold her. It was great. Not just because it was funny but because he got some great experience with a well behaved animal that showed him he needed more experience before getting one. I also let him know that some are feisty. We took Rainbow outside and put her in the grass to move around a minuet. She pooped and peed. I told him to either work with someone taking care of one to get some experience and get a smaller active species to work with first.

I am happy to make a positive impact on the hobby. For me it is a way of life.

Will I ever stop taking Rainbow to do educational shows? Not if she keeps behaving as she does at the moment. Even when she hits the 20 foot and around 100lbs... she will be respected and enjoyed by those who choose to do so.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    That was an intelligent, well thought out response. Like I said before I like your enthusiasm and feel your heart is in the right place.

It's likely that some of the long time members here developed a concern over your quick start, and as mentioned above, your erratic threads raise eyebrows. The "Should I Or Shouldn't I?" post comes to mind. You made the right choice there by the way.

While this is a discussion board, sometimes posts like that sound a bit juvenile. I had mentioned that you should slow things down a while ago. You have over 2000 posts in just over a year and have acquired several animals in a short period. This is a fun hobby, but from the outside looking in, some may feel the fast start is a bit OCD. There are way too many people that go nuts over this hobby and then are out in 5 years. Very frequently it starts off how you are starting.

This is the internet so context is often overlooked and nobody can really judge the true tone of a post. You said this hobby is your way of life. That's fine, but THIS is just a hobby, don't put everything you have into it and neglect other areas, keep a balance in life.

I like this board and some off topic, casual discussion is fun, I prefer more biology oriented posts. If you are into your collection and not a breeder, set all your animals up properly and look for media that actually contains real scientific studies about your species. Understand the animals and their instincts. Instead of taking them out, watch them closely and observe their habits over long periods. Watch the behaviors that change with the seasons.

I hate to see you get hammered on this board, everybody should feel welcome, but some of your posts cause concern.

As far as your presentations go, I'd limit them. Rainbow, who is still a young snake, hasn't evolved over millions of years to continually be hauled around, touched and exposed. Honestly, you will shorten your snake's life by doing too many shows.

It's great to be an ambassador but you are no more than an enthusiast like most of us. Unless I'm missing something, you don't have a degree in biology or any long term experience with reptiles.

Owning a big snake for just over a year isn't enough to know the species. It takes years. There are too many people that get into the large species and become overwhelmed shortly into the experience. Where do those snakes go? Some breeders are pumping out hundreds a year. You may think you are helping the species, and in some cases you are, but also remember that seeing one big snake at a presentation doesn't provide anybody with enough information to know what they behave like over time. Any kid that suddenly becomes enamored with retics after a presentation and is dead set on getting one has been provided a disservice IMO.

I'm not saying you are ignorant, not by a long shot. You are very interested, and I do believe you are learning quickly, I just think from an outsider's point of view looking in, you seem a tad over the top.

I don't post as much as I used to here but I do like looking at pictures and reading interesting/informative threads.

You seem genuine, and good hearted and very willing to learn. Keep it simple and slow. Enjoy the hobby and other avenues of recreation.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-08-2019 at 11:11 AM.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-08-2019),Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bodie (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-08-2019),Kira (04-08-2019),ladywhipple02 (04-08-2019),MissterDog (04-08-2019),Sonny1318 (04-08-2019),WhompingWillow (04-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    That was an intelligent, well thought out response. Like I said before I like your enthusiasm and feel your heart is in the right place.

It's likely that some of the long time members here developed a concern over your quick start, and as mentioned above, your erratic threads raise eyebrows. The "Should I Or Shouldn't I?" post comes to mind. You made the right choice there by the way.

While this is a discussion board, sometimes posts like that sound a bit juvenile. I had mentioned that you should slow things down a while ago. You have over 2000 posts in just over a year and have acquired several animals in a short period. This is a fun hobby, but from the outside looking in, some may feel the fast start is a bit OCD. There are way too many people that go nuts over this hobby and then are out in 5 years. Very frequently it starts off how you are starting.

This is the internet so context is often overlooked and nobody can really judge the true tone of a post. You said this hobby is your way of life. That's fine, but THIS is just a hobby, don't put everything you have into it and neglect other areas, keep a balance in life.

I like this board and some off topic, casual discussion is fun, I prefer more biology oriented posts. If you are into your collection and not a breeder, set all your animals up properly and look for media that actually contains real scientific studies about your species. Understand the animals and their instincts. Instead of taking them out, watch them closely and observe their habits over long periods. Watch the behaviors that change with the seasons.

I hate to see you get hammered on this board, everybody should feel welcome, but some of your posts cause concern.

As far as your presentations go, I'd limit them. Rainbow, who is still a young snake, hasn't evolved over millions of years to continually be hauled around, touched and exposed. Honestly, you will shorten your snake's life by doing too many shows.

It's great to be an ambassador but you are no more than an enthusiast like most of us. Unless I'm missing something, you don't have a degree in biology or any long term experience with reptiles.

Owning a big snake for just over a year isn't enough to know the species. It takes years. There are too many people that get into the large species and become overwhelmed shortly into the experience. Where do those snakes go? Some breeders are pumping out hundreds a year. You may think you are helping the species, and in some cases you are, but also remember that seeing one big snake at a presentation doesn't provide anybody with enough information to know what they behave like over time. Any kid that suddenly becomes enamored with retics after a presentation and is dead set on getting one has been provided a disservice IMO.

I'm not saying you are ignorant, not by a long shot. You are very interested, and I do believe you are learning quickly, I just think from an outsider's point of view looking in, you seem a tad over the top.

I don't post as much as I used to here but I do like looking at pictures and reading interesting/informative threads.

You seem genuine, and good hearted and very willing to learn. Keep it simple and slow. Enjoy the hobby and other avenues of recreation.
    Education? Well when others were watching cartoons at age 5 I wanted to watch things like Jacques Cousteau and National Geographic... this was the start of my love for animals and I read every book I could on animals for years..... When I first went to collage I was working on a biology degree. After 3 years I had some life things happens and redirected my life and went in the military. There I got a degree in Biomedical Engineering. Love what I do. I also have a second degree in Phycology. All through the years studying and working with any animal I could have an experience with. My life has been studying animals around me. I love snakes and that is why I chose to work with them. Reading and working with them are 2 completely different things. I grabbed several species to learn the differences hands on and how to provide for them and I spend hours studying their behavior and thought processes. Think of this as a hands on school for me. I know the respect then deserve. I know body language. I love how they problem solve. I enjoy helping others improve their care. I only hope that I help others make wiser decisions. I even have it in my will what happens to them if something happens to me.

I appreciate the advice. I also know what works for me and my animals. I blend the 2.

I even have a theory about ball pythons. Mine do better in the active part of the house. They eat better when I handle them more. Are mine unique? This is not recommended because they are shy? But works for me and my animals.

Also a theory about retic temps..... Rainbow has a range of 70 all the way up to 89. Her cage is huge and she moves and uses each temp zone at different times. Some say 70 is to cool but she loves it but also loves the 80 spot. just depends on what she wants to do.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, I've been hesitant to reply until I read the reply @Gio wrote. Fantastic reply, Gio.

So here's my two cents:

Skyrivers, let me start by saying this: I respect you.
    That being said, I've thought for a LONG time you were diving in a bit too fast and if my lousy memory recalls correctly, I suggested pumping the breaks long ago. I stand by that statement.

Although I don't doubt your passion, I do question your motives at times. Based on your constant threads of " Should I or shouldn't i?" or "I have an oppurtunity" it seems to me like your grasping for attention. Same with your "educational" shows. I honestly believe your heart is in the right place, you want to be an advocate. I get that. But I 1000000% in my heart of hearts think you do it for attention as well.

Plain and simple: you're not qualified to be an ambassador for these animals.
    Barely a year of experience is just scratching the surface. And you've been doing these shows for months already.

I wouldn't want to learn to play piano from somebody who just started playing a year ago. I wouldn't want to learn to cook from a chef with only a year experience. I wouldn't want to learn to fly from a pilot who just got his license.

Again, I don't doubt your passion, I don't doubt you want to spread the word that these animals aren't the scary, homicidal monsters many people fear them to be.
    But, you're just not ready. One mistake could have the complete opposite effect you're going for and paint a black eye on our already misunderstood hobby. Ypuve already had an incident with a key ring, you've had one giant constrictor attack another.
    You got EXTREMELY lucky that nothing worse happened.

At the stage you're at in this hobby, you're still a novice, NOT AN EDUCATOR.

So, with all due respect, I say this again. Pump the brakes. Our hobby doesn't need rookies as ambassadors. And quite frankly, you're still a rookie. It takes YEARS to truly know these animals. And all the reading in rhe wotld doesnt provide the most important tool...experience.

So, check your ego at the door. Take a break from your "educational" shows until you're qualified and experienced enough to be a proper ambassador.

As you always say, it's about the animals. So put your desire for attention on the back burner. I'm sure it feels great to see kids touch their first snakes, or to see an adult overcome a lifelong fear. But, leave that to friends and family. Keep your animals at home where they belong. Put your need for a pat on the back on hold. Do what's best for the hobby, and ultimately, what's best for the animals.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-08-2019),Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Gio (04-08-2019),jmcrook (04-10-2019),Kira (04-08-2019),MissterDog (04-08-2019),Sonny1318 (04-08-2019),TechnoCheese (04-08-2019),WhompingWillow (04-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Ok, I've been hesitant to reply until I read the reply @Gio wrote. Fantastic reply, Gio.

So here's my two cents:

Skyrivers, let me start by saying this: I respect you.
    That being said, I've thought for a LONG time you were diving in a bit too fast and if my lousy memory recalls correctly, I suggested pumping the breaks long ago. I stand by that statement.

Although I don't doubt your passion, I do question your motives at times. Based on your constant threads of " Should I or shouldn't i?" or "I have an oppurtunity" it seems to me like your grasping for attention. Same with your "educational" shows. I honestly believe your heart is in the right place, you want to be an advocate. I get that. But I 1000000% in my heart of hearts think you do it for attention as well.

Plain and simple: you're not qualified to be an ambassador for these animals.
    Barely a year of experience is just scratching the surface. And you've been doing these shows for months already.

I wouldn't want to learn to play piano from somebody who just started playing a year ago. I wouldn't want to learn to cook from a chef with only a year experience. I wouldn't want to learn to fly from a pilot who just got his license.

Again, I don't doubt your passion, I don't doubt you want to spread the word that these animals aren't the scary, homicidal monsters many people fear them to be.
    But, you're just not ready. One mistake could have the complete opposite effect you're going for and paint a black eye on our already misunderstood hobby. Ypuve already had an incident with a key ring, you've had one giant constrictor attack another.
    You got EXTREMELY lucky that nothing worse happened.

At the stage you're at in this hobby, you're still a novice, NOT AN EDUCATOR.

So, with all due respect, I say this again. Pump the brakes. Our hobby doesn't need rookies as ambassadors. And quite frankly, you're still a rookie. It takes YEARS to truly know these animals. And all the reading in rhe wotld doesnt provide the most important tool...experience.

So, check your ego at the door. Take a break from your "educational" shows until you're qualified and experienced enough to be a proper ambassador.

As you always say, it's about the animals. So put your desire for attention on the back burner. I'm sure it feels great to see kids touch their first snakes, or to see an adult overcome a lifelong fear. But, leave that to friends and family. Keep your animals at home where they belong. Put your need for a pat on the back on hold. Do what's best for the hobby, and ultimately, what's best for the animals.
    I think I am going to step back from the forum. I think fighting to show people anything they can not see is silly. I respect everyone who posts their opinions. Weather I agree with them or not it is respected. I just don't think I am communicating well. I don't understand that being passionate about something means I am egotistical by any means. Am I suppose to not enjoy working with them and still do it? No.

I hope life treats everyone here well.

Peace.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-08-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast