Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

2 members and 3,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: This is way cool... Rainbow supperstar...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post

I guess I am missing something.

3. I respect my animals.
    4. I work hard to keep everyone safe.

Where am I wrong here?

I also enjoyed it when a pet shop worker said he wanted a retic and had no experience with any snakes and I handed him Rainbow and showed him he was not ready. Seeing her full of energy right out of her transport container running and him struggling to hold her. It was great. Not just because it was funny but because he got some great experience with a well behaved animal that showed him he needed more experience before getting one.

Will I ever stop taking Rainbow to do educational shows? Not if she keeps behaving as she does at the moment. Even when she hits the 20 foot and around 100lbs... she will be respected and enjoyed by those who choose to do so.
    Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and throw my measly 2 cents in, in hopes of maybe helping you get a little better understanding as to why everyone is so "up in arms" about your post.

Yes, you're absolutely missing something and it's HUGE. The fact that you say you "respect 'your' animals" and "work hard to keep everyone safe" THEN say (paraphrasing) you thought it was "funny" to drop a Retic. in someone's lap who had JUST told you they "had no experience with any snakes" is absolutely frightening! Were you ready for BOTH, the retic's AND the poor dude's immediate response to the situation??

Look up "fight or flight response" and put that into the equation. Then be honest with yourself and decide if you were truly prepared to respond appropriately.

Not in ANY way am I trying to bash you, I promise. It's just that I'm quickly learning there is a VERY BIG common misunderstanding (and fear) of snakes in the general public, which has given them a bad name. We love and cherish these amazing and beautiful animals and would want more than anything to see the rest of "us" come to appreciate and understand them as much as we do. However, there's a method to our madness and it must be done with extreme caution.

Good luck and I wish you (mostly your noodles ) much love & respect.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-08-2019),Kira (04-08-2019),MissterDog (04-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and throw my measly 2 cents in, in hopes of maybe helping you get a little better understanding as to why everyone is so "up in arms" about your post.

Yes, you're absolutely missing something and it's HUGE. The fact that you say you "respect 'your' animals" and "work hard to keep everyone safe" THEN say (paraphrasing) you thought it was "funny" to drop a Retic. in someone's lap who had JUST told you they "had no experience with any snakes" is absolutely frightening! Were you ready for BOTH, the retic's AND the poor dude's immediate response to the situation??

Look up "fight or flight response" and put that into the equation. Then be honest with yourself and decide if you were truly prepared to respond appropriately.

Not in ANY way am I trying to bash you, I promise. It's just that I'm quickly learning there is a VERY BIG common misunderstanding (and fear) of snakes in the general public, which has given them a bad name. We love and cherish these amazing and beautiful animals and would want more than anything to see the rest of "us" come to appreciate and understand them as much as we do. However, there's a method to our madness and it must be done with extreme caution.

Good luck and I wish you (mostly your noodles ) much love & respect.

To answer this question... He was there in a controlled environment. I had 3 other people there helping and we all were ready to help them. He was not fearful. Fear is good, keeps us on our toes. He learned a lot and make a good decision based on the experience I provided him. At no time was he in danger or her.

It's just that I'm quickly learning there is a VERY BIG common misunderstanding (and fear) of snakes in the general public, which has given them a bad name.

You cant change public opinion if you hide in the closet. Education and healthy practice and good experiences help change public opinion. That is what I try to do and have been successful. Some say will only handle my animals because of how they act.

Not in ANY way am I trying to bash you, I promise.

Yes, you're absolutely missing something and it's HUGE. The fact that you say you "respect 'your' animals" and "work hard to keep everyone safe" THEN say (paraphrasing) you thought it was "funny" to drop a Retic. in someone's lap who had JUST told you they "had no experience with any snakes" is absolutely frightening! Were you ready for BOTH, the retic's AND the poor dude's immediate response to the situation?? Assumption.

a lot of what you do for the attention you get in return. Judging me and personal attack.

Well, good luck to you... hopefully you grow up someday. Personal attack.

I don't believe you even have a second handler to help you if something goes wrong? I do have help. Assumption.

selfish, ignorant, immature response I was trying to step back.... but whatever.

How can we here not think you're just the slightest bit egotistical (your word, btw) when you won't simply LISTEN to anyone else?? Actually I listen to a lot of the advice given. I take the good and leave the bad or different of opinion with the appreciation of the advice given.

Thank you everyone who has been great at giving advice. I shared my the experience with everyone because I was excited. Proud even that my girl was going to be on the show. I took precautions a great animal to show. As a result I provided them and anyone who sees her on the show with a great experience and represented the hobby well. Rainbow is a great animal who I appreciate her and respect the fact that she is a powerful, wild animal.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Dude, you just don't get it...

It's NOT about bashing you. It's about opening your eyes. What you're doing is NOT helping your animals or the hobby as a whole.

For somebody who claims it's all about the animals, you sure do a good job of ignoring the advice of those who have experience with these animals.

Writing lyrics and saying multiple times you're leaving the forum??? I mean come on, grow up.

I say this realizing it may ruffle a feather or two, but...
    You say you were in the military, which I appreciate from the bottom of my heart. I have the utmost respect for our military and all they do. But if you as a soldier was anything like you as a snake keeper you and the guys relying on you would be dead. Did you learn from the grunts or the COs? When the COs said you weren't ready to operate a Stryker vehicle or a 50 cal did you just disregard them and hop on and start driving around blowing up anything in your line of sight????

Man oh man, before I end up getting myself into trouble with the mods and admins I'm going to quit while I'm ahead...

Grow up dude. Do the RIGHT thing for this hobby and your animals....

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Gio (04-08-2019),jmcrook (04-10-2019),Kira (04-08-2019),ladywhipple02 (04-08-2019),MissterDog (04-08-2019),PitOnTheProwl (04-08-2019),r00ster1200 (10-17-2022),redshepherd (04-08-2019),Shayne (04-08-2019),Sonny1318 (04-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post

To answer this question... He was there in a controlled environment. I had 3 other people there helping and we all were ready to help them. He was not fearful. Fear is good, keeps us on our toes. He learned a lot and make a good decision based on the experience I provided him. At no time was he in danger or her.

It's just that I'm quickly learning there is a VERY BIG common misunderstanding (and fear) of snakes in the general public, which has given them a bad name.

You cant change public opinion if you hide in the closet. Education and healthy practice and good experiences help change public opinion. That is what I try to do and have been successful. Some say will only handle my animals because of how they act.

Not in ANY way am I trying to bash you, I promise.

Yes, you're absolutely missing something and it's HUGE. The fact that you say you "respect 'your' animals" and "work hard to keep everyone safe" THEN say (paraphrasing) you thought it was "funny" to drop a Retic. in someone's lap who had JUST told you they "had no experience with any snakes" is absolutely frightening! Were you ready for BOTH, the retic's AND the poor dude's immediate response to the situation?? Assumption.

This whole situation literally boils down to bad communication on your part. We are only going by the information YOU are giving us. You can call it an "assumption", if you like. The fact is (according to YOUR words) you're making some irresponsible and even dangerous decisions.

Obviously, We will get no further with helping you understand just how careless you're acting due to the simple fact you refuse to listen with an open mind. Again, going off of YOUR explanations.

With that being said, I wish you well and can only hope and pray you don't do anything stupid and/or dangerous. I'm bowing out.

Peace.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Gio (04-08-2019),jmcrook (04-10-2019),MissterDog (04-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

[QUOTE=craigafrechette;2688451]

It's NOT about bashing you.
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=craigafrechette;2688451]
    I say this realizing it may ruffle a feather or two, but...
    You say you were in the military, which I appreciate from the bottom of my heart. I have the utmost respect for our military and all they do. But if you as a soldier was anything like you as a snake keeper you and the guys relying on you would be dead. Did you learn from the grunts or the COs? When the COs said you weren't ready to operate a Stryker vehicle or a 50 cal did you just disregard them and hop on and start driving around blowing up anything in your line of sight????

[QUOTE]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Dude, you just don't get it...

It's NOT about bashing you. It's about opening your eyes. What you're doing is NOT helping your animals or the hobby as a whole.

Man oh man, before I end up getting myself into trouble with the mods and admins I'm going to quit while I'm ahead...

Yeah... time to hit the ignore button. At this point he's using passive aggression and deliberate ignorance to get exactly what he wants: attention. We reached out and we tried. Now it's time to let him dig his own grave. My advice would be to completely ignore him and not respond to anything he posts anymore.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

67temp (04-08-2019),Alicia (04-08-2019),Ax01 (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-08-2019),Gio (04-08-2019),jmcrook (04-10-2019),Kira (04-08-2019),MissterDog (04-08-2019),PitOnTheProwl (04-08-2019),redshepherd (04-08-2019),Shayne (04-08-2019),Sonny1318 (04-08-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well that was interesting some people here made great points but like I always say (well today I won't say it instead)

Time to take a breather
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-08-2019),Alter-Echo (04-08-2019),ballpythonluvr (04-08-2019),Bogertophis (04-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-08-2019),dr del (04-18-2019),Gio (04-08-2019),gunkle (04-08-2019),jmcrook (04-10-2019),Shayne (04-08-2019),Sonny1318 (04-08-2019),TechnoCheese (04-08-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234