Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

0 members and 2,824 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Picky eater?

Thanks

Picky eater?

So here I am finding it ironic that I have 6 Ball Pythons and they all eat great and one of my hognoses is an issue lol...

Alright, so I have a female albino Western Hognose, Who is picky about eating I recently started doing more comprehensive documentation partly because of her.

Every one of my other hognose snakes eats fantastically(they also have full sheds! ) she is slightly picky she ate the first 2 weeks I have not handled her due to her being so small(Not underweight) just small. She does not look unhealthy there are no ribs or spine showing. Her first shed came recently with her refusing food I was kind of surprised(going on 2-3 weeks now)

Now we are in week 4 and I am getting slightly worried. My other hognoses have literally almost doubled on the fuzzies. she, however, won't eat her pinkie's.

So I am at a crossroad where I can either

A. Try and give her a fuzzy I think she is still a bit small to switch but fuzzies seem to have a better response I don't know if they smell different or what but my other hognose had some trouble eating pinkies sometimes too. Once he got just enough on him to try fuzzy's he was super excited to eat those.

Or

B. Adjust her feeding time to a more afternoon time to feed maybe she is more picky about her time of day? Hognoses being Diurnal Maybe feeding close to dusk is reducing the response?

Any help would be great!

I will attempt to try and just leave a pinkie scenting with a small rat on Saturday(My normal feeding day) int he enclosure and see if she takes it in the noon hours.

she just finished a shed that was kind of broken up as well I misted and moved one of my probes from the other tubs that are stable and will see if maybe husbandry is the cause.

Hmm maybe I should rename this thread into a My hognose does not like schedule feedings lol.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 04-04-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most females are typically garbage disposal, males tend to be the picky ones, how big is she and how do you have her setup?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    https://i.imgur.com/WfywEbJ.png

https://i.imgur.com/1L4Ut3x.png

There she is. Her hot side is no more than 91F though it typically sits around 89-90F. Verified with temp gun and Herpstat 2 Probes. I have a couple floating probes I switch around weekly to get the different tubs readings but all of them typically stay in good humidity sometimes it gets too high.

according to the probe I moved in, about 2 hours ago that seems to be the case. So I have just now reluctantly moved her(she so small!) down a level.

Her water bowl is a bit deep, but I never fill it, I actually can't its got breathing holes on the side of it lol.
    '
    Anyways the summary is here:

Hot side: Thermostat set at 91F Reading indicate a steady around 88-90F
    Ambient temps reach a low 77F though typically stay at around 80F
    Humidity is usually about 55-60% though I think she may have hit the probe with water or pee as its reading 90% on her previous tub...Even though there is no condensation.
    The tub is a bit large but she never really had much of an issue before...She just liked to burrow and go into the hide or curl in the back.

While we speak on this subject besides paper towel roll things, any tips on cheap/DIY little decorations for tubs?

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks
    Update: She has eaten as of today at 6pm. I will start feeding slightly earlier as that seems to be good.

Hopefully, this is the last of the picky eater problems lol.