Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,980

2 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

HERPS - Lake Charles, LA

Anybody going? It's April 6th & 7th.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Shayne (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: HERPS - Lake Charles, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Anybody going? It's April 6th & 7th.

Yup yup! Looking for BP #2. Not dead-set on anything particular, though, I'd love to get my hands on a BEL. We shall see.

You going? If so, looking for anything in particular?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Neal (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Yup yup! Looking for BP #2. Not dead-set on anything particular, though, I'd love to get my hands on a BEL. We shall see.

You going? If so, looking for anything in particular?
    Yea, I got a hotel for Friday & Saturday night, just to have a little get away weekend. I'm only looking for another species of spitting cobra and a water cobra, neither will be there. I may pick up some supplies if I see good prices, though not much I need, aside from maybe frozen food for my nigricollis. I'm going to pressure wash my ice chest tomorrow so hopefully driving 3 hours with ice it'll stay frozen lol.

They only really have 4 different venomous vendors at the shows, exception being Conroe which has 6-8, and I'm not sure about the Slidell one. Either way though I talk to the those vendors on a daily basis so I know their stock lol.
    -Venomous-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Shayne (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Yea, I got a hotel for Friday & Saturday night, just to have a little get away weekend. I'm only looking for another species of spitting cobra and a water cobra, neither will be there. I may pick up some supplies if I see good prices, though not much I need, aside from maybe frozen food for my nigricollis. I'm going to pressure wash my ice chest tomorrow so hopefully driving 3 hours with ice it'll stay frozen lol.

They only really have 4 different venomous vendors at the shows, exception being Conroe which has 6-8, and I'm not sure about the Slidell one. Either way though I talk to the those vendors on a daily basis so I know their stock lol.
    Great idea for a weekend getaway! This is only my 3rd show. 1st one (Lake Charles) was back in October, which is where I was officially "bitten" by the "reptile bug". Went to the show in Lafayette in December, which is where I got my 1st PB, a Super Pastel (Firefly 66% Het. Hypo.). The Lafayette expo. was nothing compared to L.C. as it was very small. Thankfully, I'm only 20 min. from the L.C. show.

You definitely have bigger uummm "confidence" than I do. lol Don't think I could ever venture into the venomous world.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Great idea for a weekend getaway! This is only my 3rd show. 1st one (Lake Charles) was back in October, which is where I was officially "bitten" by the "reptile bug". Went to the show in Lafayette in December, which is where I got my 1st PB, a Super Pastel (Firefly 66% Het. Hypo.). The Lafayette expo. was nothing compared to L.C. as it was very small. Thankfully, I'm only 20 min. from the L.C. show.

You definitely have bigger uummm "confidence" than I do. lol Don't think I could ever venture into the venomous world.
    I've been dealing with them since before I was a teenager, not that my parents were happy about it.

Yea, I'll only go to the HERPS shows, repticon has become a joke and I wouldn't go to one if it were free.

The biggest difference is HERPS makes you have actually have herp related stuff, Repticon won't. I skipped shows for a few years and about 2-3 years back when I went to a Repticon, they had two different vendors selling bathtub fixtures and somebody else selling rainbow vacuum cleaners. Repticon lets anybody vend, and if animals look sick or anything, they don't really care.

With HERPS if people like this get tables to vend and show up, he gives them a refund and tells them to have a nice day, if people have animals on their tables that look sick or anything he will tell them they have to be removed from the table.

Another big thing is, and I won't mention any names, but a vendor was flipping animals and is known to sell sick animals and not really take care of his animals, well Shawn has banned him from all of his shows. He also banned a guy that is a known free handler of venomous, or was at the time anyways.

Repticon still lets the guy that has been called out on the FBI group with how many animals he's killed and how he left the place vend at their shows.
    -Venomous-

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-26-2019),Shayne (04-05-2019)

Thanks

I've been dealing with them since before I was a teenager, not that my parents were happy about it.

Yea, I'll only go to the HERPS shows, repticon has become a joke and I wouldn't go to one if it were free.

The biggest difference is HERPS makes you have actually have herp related stuff, Repticon won't. I skipped shows for a few years and about 2-3 years back when I went to a Repticon, they had two different vendors selling bathtub fixtures and somebody else selling rainbow vacuum cleaners. Repticon lets anybody vend, and if animals look sick or anything, they don't really care.

With HERPS if people like this get tables to vend and show up, he gives them a refund and tells them to have a nice day, if people have animals on their tables that look sick or anything he will tell them they have to be removed from the table.

Another big thing is, and I won't mention any names, but a vendor was flipping animals and is known to sell sick animals and not really take care of his animals, well Shawn has banned him from all of his shows. He also banned a guy that is a known free handler of venomous, or was at the time anyways.

Repticon still lets the guy that has been called out on the FBI group with how many animals he's killed and how he left the place vend at their shows.
    Man, it's crazy just how much difference there is between HERPS and Repticon. Repticon was in Lafayette, La. and it was depressing, to say the least. Only reason we went was because I had already been corresponding with the breeder I was purchasing from and he was going to Repticon.

That's really sad about them basically having no standards. It sucks that some guys appear to be in this just to turn a profit without having any interest in the well-being of the animals.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Man, it's crazy just how much difference there is between HERPS and Repticon. Repticon was in Lafayette, La. and it was depressing, to say the least. Only reason we went was because I had already been corresponding with the breeder I was purchasing from and he was going to Repticon.

That's really sad about them basically having no standards. It sucks that some guys appear to be in this just to turn a profit without having any interest in the well-being of the animals.
    Yea. The difference is huge, and it's one of the reasons many breeders who travel to do shows won't do Repticon shows. The exception being small breeders who may only do shows in the area they live. I think S&S always does Repticon, and feeder source has rodents on lock down and Repticon won't allow anybody else to sell feeders. Hit me up though and we'll hang out and meet up, 504-444-3476 is my cell.
    -Venomous-

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-26-2019),Shayne (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    If y’all go to the Conroe one this summer let’s get together and have lunch or something!!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-26-2019),Shayne (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    If y’all go to the Conroe one this summer let’s get together and have lunch or something!!!
    Definitely. I work that weekend so if I go to one it'll likely be the one farther down the road. However I'll have to look at my vacation to see about maybe staying in Conroe for a week.
    -Venomous-

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-26-2019)

Thanks

Yea. The difference is huge, and it's one of the reasons many breeders who travel to do shows won't do Repticon shows. The exception being small breeders who may only do shows in the area they live. I think S&S always does Repticon, and feeder source has rodents on lock down and Repticon won't allow anybody else to sell feeders. Hit me up though and we'll hang out and meet up, 504-444-3476 is my cell.
    Awesome! I'll give you a shout when we get there. What time you think you'll be headed that way?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Absolutely! Would love to meet up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-26-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast