Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 558

0 members and 558 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Not about BPs, but I need help

Hey everyone, long time no.. read..?
    Anyways, So I saw a post on Snapchat of someone selling a red eared slider. I at first wasn't too interested thinking it would sell quickly. I haven't owned a turtle since I was a wee lassie, so I'm not very familiar with them. I saw pictures of the turtle and the setup and thought to myself "oh man.. he needs a home." The turtles shell is about 4.5" which should mean he is in around 45 gallons and he is still growing. He is in a 20 gal tank with one log , some flat rocks, a fake plant. I know that that is not nearly enough of what he needs. When I went to pick him up, the lady said he had a brother but then changed the subject quickly so I'm assuming something could have possibly happened to it or she had already sold him because she clearly did not want the turtles. I took the turtle and it's poor excuse for a setup and it is now living with me. I brought him home yesterday and am in the process of buying everything he needs for an adequate home. My issue right now is feeding. I bought him a couple days ago and the first day he stayed with my mother. When I fed him, he didn't eat. I fed him again yesterday and again he didn't eat. He didn't eat this morning either and I am worried as I am not familiar with turtles and their feeding. I am asking for help if any of you are familiar with turkey, red eared sliders in specific. I can give you more details if required

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Not about BPs, but I need help

Good on you for giving the little guy a better life! I have dozens & ended up building a pond for just that reason.
    You don't have to be immediately overly concerned about the eating as they can go very long periods of time without feeding, including hybernating for months. If this turtle has not been kept warm it may just be in hibernation. It may take him up to a week to come out of this mode.
    Without knowing how this animal has been kept it's hard to say what the issue is but these are very resiliant critters. The most important thing you could do is give the little guy a good basking spot out of the water so it can regulate it's body temp. When I have a young turtle hesitant to eat I always resort to live bloodworms (blackworms). Call around to tropical fish stores to find one who carries or will order you a portion of live bloodworms, drain the water & dump them in his water. They will stay alive wiggling, tempting your turtle until he has to try them.
    This never fails!

Don't worry, you're doing great.
    I'll keep an eye on this thread if you have any more questions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScalesFins&Feathers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019),Lord Sorril (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: Not about BPs, but I need help

Quote Originally Posted by ScalesFins&Feathers View Post
    Good on you for giving the little guy a better life! I have dozens & ended up building a pond for just that reason.
    You don't have to be immediately overly concerned about the eating as they can go very long periods of time without feeding, including hybernating for months. If this turtle has not been kept warm it may just be in hibernation. It may take him up to a week to come out of this mode.
    Without knowing how this animal has been kept it's hard to say what the issue is but these are very resiliant critters. The most important thing you could do is give the little guy a good basking spot out of the water so it can regulate it's body temp. When I have a young turtle hesitant to eat I always resort to live bloodworms (blackworms). Call around to tropical fish stores to find one who carries or will order you a portion of live bloodworms, drain the water & dump them in his water. They will stay alive wiggling, tempting your turtle until he has to try them.
    This never fails!

Don't worry, you're doing great.
    I'll keep an eye on this thread if you have any more questions.
    Thank you so much! I will for sure check out the bloodworms!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk