Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,202

0 members and 2,202 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavouyeir View Post
    Thank you! Honestly, I can keep my room at higher temps, but I do have to literally wear ice packs. I'd honestly do anything to own a bp because it's been my dream since I was 11. I don't know, maybe I just have to be in the heat more to adapt a tolerance for it. 🤔
    I guess I'm going to try and train myself to tolerate higher temps before I own a snake, that's for sure!

Yeah but other than the whole room thing, I was worried about the heat lamp because I heard from some people that they would recommend having one but then others were saying that you shouldn't have one and I just want my snake to be happy and warm.
    If you have another room that is warmer, that would work for you though, just a thought as somebody else suggested.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Exactly, I stopped reading anything you said at the point SHOULD, because it's not definite which means you're putting the animal at risk in advance. I've seen another situation jut like this, and it didn't work, so actually I do know. This is why I said it won't work from the beginning. That's what I'm trying to tell you, but you're stuck on should.
    If you're not even reading what I said then don't quote me and try picking apart what I said. And as I've said, it's been the best option so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    If you're not even reading what I said then don't quote me and try picking apart what I said. And as I've said, it's been the best option so far.
    It's really not. But thanks for your suggestion without having actual experience. OP has stated they will try other stuff, which means the took the advice of people who have actual experience.
    -Venomous-

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-04-2019),Sonny1318 (04-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    It's really not. But thanks for your suggestion without having actual experience. OP has stated they will try other stuff, which means the took the advice of people who have actual experience.
    How don't I have experience? I have RHPs. I have uths. I have insulation on my tanks. I have lower temperatures in my room. The only thing I gave my opinion on was that it MIGHT work for him with his low temperature. And thanks for lowering my reputation for no reason other than the fact you didn't read what I said and wanted to seem "right".

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

This does not sound like a good idea. I myself cant imagine any of my rooms at 50* let alone trying to keep a reptile under those conditions. Im always warm myself and my house is kept at 68. During the summer with my central air running 24/7 its 66-68 with 20% humidity and feels freezing to everyone else that comes over so i cant believe your room could really be 50. But anyway thats a recipe for a disaster. I run several quality Radiant Heat panels and they wouldn’t even be able to keep a ambient temp of 78-80 let alone a Hot Spot of 90 in a 50 degree room. You cant just use a Heat Mat on a thermostat either because the cool draft of 50 in and around the enclosure is a sure case of respiratory infection sooner or later. I think this is the wrong pet under your current situation or until you can use another room in your home that you can keep at a min of 68 degrees so you can run a Radiant Heat panel in the enclosure to get a hot spot of 90 and a ambient of 80.
    Without the proper habitat they can not survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019),MissterDog (04-04-2019),Sonny1318 (04-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Honesty, I would get a pvc enclosure and give the gentleman at pro products a call and ask about their RHPs. Explain to him the temps you would be keeping the snake and see if he would have a panel that would work for you. I forget his name, but he is very helpful and would give you some legitimate information on keeping temps in an enclosure based on your ambient house temps. The entire house caaaaant be that cold!

i also tend to think 50 degrees may not be 100% accurate. That’s freakin cold man!

edit: if you have a small room like a laundry room or closet won’t outlets, you could set up and space heater on a tstat
    Last edited by Jmarshall; 04-04-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bedual (04-04-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post

I would use a radiant heat panel on a thermostat to maintain ambient temperature in the low 80s. And use an under tank heater on a thermostat to maintain the hot spot.
    I know that sounds like a good idea but it will never work. I run the largest RHP’s on the market and they wont do a thing in a room under 66-68.
    The problem is they will run constantly if they are trying to reach a temp they just cant get to.. that causes 2 problems, first it cooks the Hot Spot to 110+ degrees and the ambient never gets met. So you have a dangerously Hot basking area and a ambient that is dangerously cool... i had to close off the AC vent in my snake room after I tried everything under the sun. Now the room only gets down to 66 at the coolest of times and thats the limit of the RHP’s for safe operating. Just going down to 62 and my Hot Spot skyrockets because the Thermostat probe cant reach the temp to cut it off if its on the cool side. Move the tstat probe to the Hot side and it shuts off before there is a safe Ambient.
    No win situation. This isnt a room for reptiles.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bedual (04-04-2019),Bogertophis (04-04-2019),Kira (04-05-2019),MissterDog (04-04-2019),Neal (04-04-2019),Sonny1318 (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I know that sounds like a good idea but it will never work. I run the largest RHP’s on the market and they wont do a thing in a room under 66-68.
    The problem is they will run constantly if they are trying to reach a temp they just cant get to.. that causes 2 problems, first it cooks the Hot Spot to 110+ degrees and the ambient never gets met. So you have a dangerously Hot basking area and a ambient that is dangerously cool... i had to close off the AC vent in my snake room after I tried everything under the sun. Now the room only gets down to 66 at the coolest of times and thats the limit of the RHP’s for safe operating. Just going down to 62 and my Hot Spot skyrockets because the Thermostat probe cant reach the temp to cut it off if its on the cool side. Move the tstat probe to the Hot side and it shuts off before there is a safe Ambient.
    No win situation. This isnt a room for reptiles.

Lol good luck trying to get anything across to him. Save yourself the annoyance now and ignore him calm. That's what I had to do.
    -Venomous-

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    As I read the original post, the room in question may not even be 50*? The OP said they're too hot if it's over 50* and also that there are dogs & cats
    in the rest of the house (safety issue). I just don't see it working at all, it's a recipe for a reptile disaster.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-05-2019),WhompingWillow (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

OP, what temperature exactly do you keep your house at in the summer and winter? Many are assuming you keep it at 50 degrees.

Now, if your house isn't actually 50 degrees (because as others have said, I don't think any heat source would overcome that), you can definitely use a heat lamp to raise ambient temperatures. Go for a blue light or infrared light because you will probably need to leave them on all the time if the area is cooler. You can use in conjunction with a UTH. Thermostat is required for UTH.

Do heat lamps and CHEs dry out enclosures? Yes. But this is also manageable with the right substrate, misting, humid hides, a room humidifier, etc.

The safest bet would be to try a practice setup of your enclosure for at least a week or two with no animal so you can determine whether your heating elements are sufficient or within the realm of being sufficient with adjustments.

And having cats and dogs is not a deal breaker either as long as you follow common sense safety precautions. Whatever you decide, best of luck!
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast