Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 179

13 members and 166 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

chemdogxxx (28)

» Stats

Members: 64,054
Threads: 238,182
Posts: 2,474,023
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, HouseofNoodles
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56
  1. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-06-2018
    Posts
    201
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 178 Times in 88 Posts

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Is it possible to keep the snake in another room of the house that doesn't get so cold? Possibly the living or laundry room?
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

    Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa


  2. #12
    Venom Life Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,474
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    I think it would work without covering the front window. Of course nobody knows until someone tries though.
    It wouldn't, which is why I said that before the thread kicked off. When snakes are exposed to low temps, if they're a species that brumates, you're going stress the snake out. Even with never opening that cage, it's the ambient temperature that will still affect it. Giving a hotspot? sure, ambient temps, negative.
    -Venomous-

    1.0 - Naja siamensis (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

    coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)
    Naja n. woodi (Black Spitting Cobra)




  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (04-05-2019),MissterDog (04-04-2019)

  4. #13
    Registered User SquirmyPug's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-15-2018
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    259
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 158 Times in 103 Posts

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    It wouldn't, which is why I said that before the thread kicked off. When snakes are exposed to low temps, if they're a species that brumates, you're going stress the snake out. Even with never opening that cage, it's the ambient temperature that will still affect it. Giving a hotspot? sure, ambient temps, negative.
    That's why I said use a rhp for the ambient temp. With that being it's only job it could maintain the temperature pretty well. I suggested an uth for the hot spot. Both of those combined with a pvc cage and insulation around it I'm sure would work.

  5. #14
    Venom Life Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,474
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    That's why I said use a rhp for the ambient temp. With that being it's only job it could maintain the temperature pretty well. I suggested an uth for the hot spot. Both of those combined with a pvc cage and insulation around it I'm sure would work.
    A RHP isn't going to raise the ambient temperature, you'd have to have one the entire size of the cage, and then you'd fail to give a hot spot.

    You can't use an UTH to raise temps because snakes like to burrow and move stuff out the way which would put them at even hotter temps, so as I said, it's not feasible period. I know you're new and everything, but if you stick around and heed what some of us vets are saying you'll learn a lot.

    You get a snake in that kind of temp, no matter what you do, it's going to have issues, food not digesting properly, regurging and you can run into numerous other issues. Some may or may not kill the snake right away, some can. Either way it's not going to live a happy life and as a keeper your job IS to take the best care possible of an animal in your care. You can't do that with what the OP is asking. He'll either kill the snake right away, or he'll make it suffer.
    Last edited by Neal; 04-04-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    -Venomous-

    1.0 - Naja siamensis (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

    coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)
    Naja n. woodi (Black Spitting Cobra)




  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (04-04-2019),MissterDog (04-04-2019)

  7. #15
    Registered User SquirmyPug's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-15-2018
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    259
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 158 Times in 103 Posts

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    A RHP isn't going to raise the ambient temperature, you'd have to have one the entire size of the cage, and then you'd fail to give a hot spot.

    You can't use an UTH to raise temps because snakes like to burrow and move stuff out the way which would put them at even hotter temps, so as I said, it's not feasible period. I know you're new and everything, but if you stick around and heed what some of us vets are saying you'll learn a lot.

    You get a snake in that kind of temp, no matter what you do, it's going to have issues, food not digesting properly, regurging and you can run into numerous other issues. Some may or may not kill the snake right away, some can. Either way it's not going to live a happy life and as a keeper your job IS to take the best care possible of an animal in your care. You can't do that with what the OP is asking. He'll either kill the snake right away, or he'll make it suffer.
    A rhp would raise ambient temps. I use two of them. An uth makes a hot spot. That's what they do. I don't know what you're not understanding with what I said.

    I may be new here but I'm not new to keeping bps or life. I don't know what that even has to do with anything or why you're targeting me. If you read what I first said, I never said it would definitely work. If the op is going to get a snake anyway wouldn't you want them to have the best chance at keeping it alive? Or tell them it's impossible and just don't help at all?

  8. #16
    Venom Life Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,474
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    A rhp would raise ambient temps. I use two of them. An uth makes a hot spot. That's what they do. I don't know what you're not understanding with what I said.

    I may be new here but I'm not new to keeping bps or life. I don't know what that even has to do with anything or why you're targeting me. If you read what I first said, I never said it would definitely work. If the op is going to get a snake anyway wouldn't you want them to have the best chance at keeping it alive? Or tell them it's impossible and just don't help at all?
    So you use a two RHP to raise the ambient temps 15+ degrees? That's what I thought. Sure they can raise the ambient temp a couple degrees, but anywhere close to enough in the OP's situation, it's not going to happen. I understand what you said, I think you don't understand how temperatures work.

    I'm not targeting you, you're trying to argue what you think over logic and what actually works and doesn't work. You don't take a chance on an animals life like that. I know it's not going to work, and if the OP gets the snake anyways, then they're irresponsible. If they won't listen to facts, do you really think they're going to listen to anything you say? No, that's proven as well.

    I know a guy Eric Pharr who used to free handle venomous snakes, I advised getting him getting venomous snakes. He got them anyway, hundreds of people advised him against free handling and he did it anyway. You know what made him stop? He got bit by a Cerastes vipera. When people do exactly what you advise them against even with facts, history shows they do what they want anyways. People know what's right and wrong and they break the law anyways.
    -Venomous-

    1.0 - Naja siamensis (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

    coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)
    Naja n. woodi (Black Spitting Cobra)




  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    MissterDog (04-04-2019)

  10. #17
    Registered User SquirmyPug's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-15-2018
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    259
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 158 Times in 103 Posts

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    So you use a two RHP to raise the ambient temps 15+ degrees? That's what I thought. Sure they can raise the ambient temp a couple degrees, but anywhere close to enough in the OP's situation, it's not going to happen. I understand what you said, I think you don't understand how temperatures work.

    I'm not targeting you, you're trying to argue what you think over logic and what actually works and doesn't work. You don't take a chance on an animals life like that. I know it's not going to work, and if the OP gets the snake anyways, then they're irresponsible. If they won't listen to facts, do you really think they're going to listen to anything you say? No, that's proven as well.

    I know a guy Eric Pharr who used to free handle venomous snakes, I advised getting him getting venomous snakes. He got them anyway, hundreds of people advised him against free handling and he did it anyway. You know what made him stop? He got bit by a Cerastes vipera. When people do exactly what you advise them against even with facts, history shows they do what they want anyways. People know what's right and wrong and they break the law anyways.
    You're still not reading what I said. I do understand temperatures. It's literally one of the things I work with for a living. What bothered me the most is the fact you automatically had to point out that I'm new here so I must not know anything. You don't know who someone is based on when they join a forum.

    The way I described doing things SHOULD work. Will it because of the low temperatures the op is dealing with? I don't know. You don't either. It's an option if he's going to get a snake. I haven't seen any others that might work yet.

  11. #18
    Registered User Bedual's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-01-2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Red face Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    DON'T USE HEAT ROCKS! They can seriously hurt your snake. Use heating mats, but do your research on certain brands; some get too hot and can also hurt your snake.
    Last edited by Bedual; 04-04-2019 at 08:01 PM.

  12. #19
    Venom Life Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,474
    Thanks
    587
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    You're still not reading what I said. I do understand temperatures. It's literally one of the things I work with for a living. What bothered me the most is the fact you automatically had to point out that I'm new here so I must not know anything. You don't know who someone is based on when they join a forum.

    The way I described doing things SHOULD work. Will it because of the low temperatures the op is dealing with? I don't know. You don't either. It's an option if he's going to get a snake. I haven't seen any others that might work yet.
    Exactly, I stopped reading anything you said at the point SHOULD, because it's not definite which means you're putting the animal at risk in advance. I've seen another situation jut like this, and it didn't work, so actually I do know. This is why I said it won't work from the beginning. That's what I'm trying to tell you, but you're stuck on should.
    -Venomous-

    1.0 - Naja siamensis (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

    coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)
    Naja n. woodi (Black Spitting Cobra)




  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    MissterDog (04-04-2019)

  14. #20
    Registered User Bedual's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-01-2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Red face Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I would advise you NOT to get a ball python or other reptile that needs higher temperatures...it's not impossible but will be much harder for you to keep them
    successfully, and yes, it would NOT be good to handle them at anything near 50* either.

    FYI, snakes brumate at 50* so even snakes that are more tolerant of cool temperatures may give you trouble unless you choose carefully (some Asian snakes
    totally require cool temperatures, for example) or unless you really modify the kind of enclosure you use. The best way is a cage within a wood cabinet: wood
    is great insulation...you could convert some sort of furniture/cabinet/wardrobe/etc but it would then be awkward to get into for you. As far as safely heating a
    snake's cage, the best way is to use a reliable (& not the cheapest!) thermostat to control each heating device (UTH, light, CHE, RHP).

    Good for you, doing your research ahead of time. I'm not sure a snake is the best pet for you, given the cold room you yourself need. Even a short time at such
    chilly temperatures while handling would make many snakes think it's time to brumate & they might then refuse food. You want to look for species that exist in
    the wild at cool temperatures...often they are mountain species...but you then have to make sure you can meet all their requirements as to food etc. Hopefully
    we can think of some kinds that might work for you with a little group 'brainstorming" here.
    Thank you! Honestly, I can keep my room at higher temps, but I do have to literally wear ice packs. I'd honestly do anything to own a bp because it's been my dream since I was 11. I don't know, maybe I just have to be in the heat more to adapt a tolerance for it. 🤔
    I guess I'm going to try and train myself to tolerate higher temps before I own a snake, that's for sure!

    Yeah but other than the whole room thing, I was worried about the heat lamp because I heard from some people that they would recommend having one but then others were saying that you shouldn't have one and I just want my snake to be happy and warm.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1