Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

0 members and 3,059 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Brave new world of genetic editing for reptiles-

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    or can this bring back a species from extinction or the brink of extinction? b/c that might be kool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This would be cool & something I was wondering too...it's just a real "double-edged sword" though.
    i think it's very obvious that the first thing we need to bring back are T-Rex's and 'Raptors.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019),fadingdaylight (04-04-2019),tttaylorrr (06-03-2019)

Thanks
    ^ what is yo JWA handle? add me (Axxy19) and we can battle sometimes.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks

I posted it as it's newsworthy, but I'm with you, honestly. Getting further & further from natural selection makes me uncomfortable.

There's so many GMO foods now, more than most of us realize...but the issues have been swept under the rug rather than openly addressed, & where profits are
    involved, we know who's interest "matters" don't we?
    Humanity would be dead if it wasn’t for GMO’s. That term has unfortunately become primarily a marketing term. In reality almost all of our food has been genetically modified to resist disease/pest and/or have higher yield. For example strawberries are gmo as they exhibit extreme polyploidy to produce larger fruit. Seedless watermelons are produced by instigating aneuploidy. Many grains are altered to produce more and be resistant to pest and environmental changes. There’re a ton of examples, way too many to list. The people that claim not to eat any gmo’s are completely ignorant as that’s not even possible in this day and age. Even commonly eaten vegetables are “man made” through selective breeding and genetic alteration. This means that even organic vegetables are still technically genetically modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-04-2019),Ax01 (04-04-2019),Bogertophis (04-04-2019),Godzilla78 (04-04-2019),Timelugia (04-04-2019),tttaylorrr (06-03-2019)

Thanks
    ^ yep that's true.

that reminds me of an old Simpsons episode where Lisa produces a giant tomato using steroids that can help solve hunger. well intentioned but i don't want to be pumped full of steroids. i think we could solve alotta problems like w/ world hunger if we can increase yield and size and distribution. there's ways u can use GMO's for good but then there are the agricorps or whatever use GMO's to copyright their veggies and seeds so that they cannot reproduce so we have to rely on buying their stuff after each harvest. it's scary if and when we lose the ability to reproduce crops b/c of modification. it can be used to solve problems, but it conflicts w/ profits.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019),tttaylorrr (06-03-2019)

Thanks

My handle is RedHound #8284... bring it! I love this game lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Humanity would be dead if it wasn’t for GMO’s. That term has unfortunately become primarily a marketing term. In reality almost all of our food has been genetically modified to resist disease/pest and/or have higher yield. For example strawberries are gmo as they exhibit extreme polyploidy to produce larger fruit. Seedless watermelons are produced by instigating aneuploidy. Many grains are altered to produce more and be resistant to pest and environmental changes. There’re a ton of examples, way too many to list. The people that claim not to eat any gmo’s are completely ignorant as that’s not even possible in this day and age. Even commonly eaten vegetables are “man made” through selective breeding and genetic alteration. This means that even organic vegetables are still technically genetically modified.

I realize there are many sides to this...and as someone already said, the "best use" sure isn't about making albino lizards, but they have to start somewhere.
    I'm far from being "anti-science" & I was acquainted with a man (retired scientist) who worked on seedless watermelons way back when...(he has since passed away).

I'm actually really glad to have your knowledgeable input on this...it's not my field, unless you count "caring about nature" & "loving to eat"?

When it comes to food crops, I also know that the national & worldwide goals of "not running out" in the face of climate or pest issues is pretty important & the more crowded
    we allow our planet to get, the more we have to rely on science to bail us out. I'm old enough to appreciate slower times when farmers could work with nature & grow
    organically rather than dominating the process with chemicals & patented GMO seeds. While this yields a lot more, it also tends to result in monocultures (less diversity)
    that actually puts the whole system at risk, not to mention that the farming run-off is causing massive die-offs in our natural bodies of water....I hope we humans can
    figure it all out in time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-04-2019)

Thanks

I realize there are many sides to this...and as someone already said, the "best use" sure isn't about making albino lizards, but they have to start somewhere.
    I'm far from being "anti-science" & I was acquainted with a man (retired scientist) who worked on seedless watermelons way back when...(he has since passed away).

I'm actually really glad to have your knowledgeable input on this...it's not my field, unless you count "caring about nature" & "loving to eat"?

When it comes to food crops, I also know that the national & worldwide goals of "not running out" in the face of climate or pest issues is pretty important & the more crowded
    we allow our planet to get, the more we have to rely on science to bail us out. I'm old enough to appreciate slower times when farmers could work with nature & grow
    organically rather than dominating the process with chemicals & patented GMO seeds. While this yields a lot more, it also tends to result in monocultures (less diversity)
    that actually puts the whole system at risk, not to mention that the farming run-off is causing massive die-offs in our natural bodies of water....I hope we humans can
    figure it all out in time.
    Farming runoff would actually be worse without gmo’s because more herbicides and pesticides would need to be used. You’re correct in that it is a major ecological problem. I actually have a few coworkers that are looking into pesticide effects on amphipods. Monocultures are typically just a result of our farming methods and gmo’s don’t determine whether someone grows a monoculture or not. They’re easier to mass harvest which is why they’re so prevalent. That and cycling crops to ensure the topsoil remains fertile. Unfortunately our global population is too large for small scale organic farming to support everyone imo. Although we do need to find better ways to minimize ecological degradation though for sure.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-04-2019),Bogertophis (04-04-2019),Timelugia (04-04-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The topic is snakes not farming!
    Deborah Stewart

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    My handle is RedHound #8284... bring it! I love this game lol
    oh crap! you're a Level 20 playa w/ all the best epic legendary and unique hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The topic is snakes not farming!
    well the article was about gene editing for reptiles w/ Anoles as an example and Boger talks about GMO's in her first post, so i think talking about farming GMO is fair play and was apart of the natural flow of conversation and the thread.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast