Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,357

1 members and 2,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I like the large bone near her in the photo...one of her previous conquests, no doubt...

Anyone who has this snake outside on the ground when it's chilly (jacket weather) probably also thinks that a snake that tries to
    nail motion near her cage is seriously trying to eat them. Not suggesting one way or another if this snake is right for YOU, but I
    only wish I had a dollar for every person that told me their snake is "mean" because it follows their motion through the glass when
    it's hungry...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks

Re: So I have an oportunity..... but should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I like the large bone near her in the photo...one of her previous conquests, no doubt...

Anyone who has this snake outside on the ground when it's chilly (jacket weather) probably also thinks that a snake that tries to
    nail motion near her cage is seriously trying to eat them. Not suggesting one way or another if this snake is right for YOU, but I
    only wish I had a dollar for every person that told me their snake is "mean" because it follows their motion through the glass when
    it's hungry...
    Id imagine that would be a dog none imagine a burm :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:ting that out I certainly would :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: myself if I opened my cage to that haha

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by callumdegg View Post
    Id imagine that would be a dog none imagine a burm :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:ting that out I certainly would :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: myself if I opened my cage to that haha

It makes such a nice photo prop though...

Another reason she may be mis-perceived as aggressive is that these folks have kids...many ppl do change their minds when ppl
    around them constantly bombard them with horror stories & threaten to call child protective services on them. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2019 at 03:16 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

callumdegg (04-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It makes such a nice photo prop though...
    Yeah deffinetly haha hide the dog

Thanks
    Anyway, if you're seriously interested, you'd be better off assessing her temperament yourself. These folks may just be in over their head...
    is this their first snake? Not everyone starts where they should...LOL.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

callumdegg (04-03-2019),distaff (04-03-2019)

Thanks

I know about Burmese pythons, but not much about "Burmise" pythons. I hear they can reach 60 feet and weigh half a ton. Beware.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skeptiball For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-03-2019),callumdegg (04-03-2019),JTC (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Burms are also big "talkers", especially in their enclosures. Mine will hiss if I open the enclosure, touch her, look at her, walk by the enclosure, if she's in shed, if she's not in shed, when she's eating, when she realizes she's NOT getting fed but other snakes are...

I would ask for specific examples of how the snake is aggressive. What they think is aggression could be normal Burm behavior.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-04-2019),Bogertophis (04-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    "So I have an oportunity..... but should I?"

Honestly, no, I think you have a fine compliment of large snakes. I've watched you progress here and I like your enthusiasm.

I'm not sure you'll be in this 10 years from now though. I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again. You need to slow down and enjoy what you have. Focus on proper care for the long haul and put your energies into the habitats.

No doubt you've schooled up in the last year, but don't turn into one of those folks that hoard, becoming totally engrossed and then end up completely out of the hobby. I've seen it happen a lot.

There are very, very few long time big snake keepers out there. Reasons for it are fairly clear.

Some of the big name retic breeders from a few years back are completely out of the hobby after making a big splash for a short period of time. Other than bcr229, I see very few folks here that have had big snakes for long periods. Granted some people may just not be posting on the boards, I have also seen plenty that are totally out of the hobby.

You asked so I'm giving you my honest opinion. Pass on this and concentrate your efforts on what you have.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-03-2019 at 11:16 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

67temp (04-04-2019),AbsoluteApril (04-04-2019),Alter-Echo (04-04-2019),Bogertophis (04-03-2019),jmcrook (04-04-2019),Kira (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    "So I have an oportunity..... but should I?"

Honestly, no, I think you have a fine compliment of large snakes. I've watched you progress here and I like your enthusiasm.

I'm not sure you'll be in this 10 years from now though. I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again. You need to slow down and enjoy what you have. Focus on proper care for the long haul and put your energies into the habitats.

No doubt you've schooled up in the last year, but don't turn into one of those folks that hoard, becoming totally engrossed and then end up completely out of the hobby. I've seen it happen a lot.

There are very, very few long time big snake keepers out there. Reasons for it are fairly clear.

Some of the big name retic breeders from a few years back are completely out of the hobby after making a big splash for a short period of time. Other than bcr229, I see very few folks here that have had big snakes for long periods. Granted some people may just not be posting on the boards, I have also seen plenty that are totally out of the hobby.

You asked so I'm giving you my honest opinion. Pass on this and concentrate your efforts on what you have.
    Yeah.... I passed. I have worked hard to get a variety of species that are common in the pet trade. I don't think she would be right for me and my educational program. Even if my big girls get aggressive (don't see it happening) I would provide for them for years to come. My animals are pets first. I know I take in a lot of rescues. I also get them healthy and rehome them with long time herps lovers that provide them quality homes (this is my hope anyway). I also did not get the blood. Sure is on my list but I think I am more focused on husbandry quality of life things this year. I have loved animals my entire life and having a zoo is a life long dream that is still out of reach for many reasons.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-04-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12